8 PM Curfew

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
Freeda, you make some interesting and some valid points. However, let me comment on some of them:
1) Your first point about hearing from someone who heard from the manager is kind of like double hearsay, don't you think? Also, this was just one night. What about all of the other nights? Wouldn't a better metric of complaints be to sum up all of the complaints from unique individuals since the inception the late night entertainment?
2)Your assumption of the complainant being one person (whether this assumption is valid or not) being outweighed by the many people assumes that "loss" associated with each side is equivalent. In the case of the "many" the loss is no more than having to go a few minutes away to another venue. In the case of the homeowner(s) it is the nightly loss of the tranquility in their home and the limitation of the enjoyment of their home. Maybe it's just me, but I think the latter far outweighs a few minute's drive.
3) The claims that the legal limits on noise were met sound highly suspicious to me. As noted, the law talks about a quantitative measurement to be taken at 1,000 feet. Did the manager really do a complete analysis 1,000 feet in all directions? Not likely.
4) The law also seems to allow for a more subjective test based on a "reasonable person". As you indicated, this is somewhat arbitrary. However, I doubt very much that the sheriff's department would just accept a complaint from a single homeowner and then, without checking it out, go ahead and shut the music down. I would think that the deputy would first see how loud it was him or herself before taking any action. Given that the deputy would have to be assumed to be neutral in the issues (and hence a "reasonable person"), I have to think that the sound was pretty loud at the point(s) of complaint and failed the reasonable person test.

Oh, and F16, is this number 41? I need to know because the admins are paying me on a per-post basis to keep the view count up. This is sweeps month for internet advertising and this thread is going to let them jack their advertising rates way up.
GOOD POINTS!

Fran, Read the whole thread. Then come to the Lighthouse to enjoy live music tonight and open until midnight Thurs-Sat. every weekend.
Also know houses that back up to Havana have been blasted every night with loud, loud noise.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Default Not a Cufew but a Restriction.

I do not think an 8:00 pm restriction for outside entertainment at the country clubs is resonable. I have been at the Havana country club and the Mallory country club for their outside entertainment and it did not seem to me to be extremely loud or obnoxious. I do not understand why someone who wants privacy and quiet would move near a country club when there are other location options for seerenity in TV. Most of us have moved to TV for the entertainment and to enjoy the outside. Particularly now that the temperatures are very comfortable. In fact, for about half of the year it is not even dark at 8:00PM.

I do not think that we should label this issue a "curfew". That label is a bit extreme and misleading. But this is a "restriction" that can hurt the business at our local country clubs and limit our options for enjoying outside entertainment. Especially during these nice weather months. 10PM seems to me to be very reasonable time to end outside entertainment.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:57 PM

The beautiful lots behind Havana CC were being developed when we were looking to buy a home. I was very impressed with their view, but we immediately discounted them because of their proximity to the CC. and the lack of privacy and noise we might encounter.

Every house and lot down here has it's pluses and minuses, and one must decide what they are able to live with before buying. Music coming from a CC is a no brainer IMHO!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:45 PM

I came to the conclusion that these post are not worth my time and effort..so this will be the last.
I am not ashamed of the baby boomer stereotype,"all about me"..We have all put in our dedicated years when it was about "everyone else"..We've worked hard,raised our kids and YES...we are "deserving" of enjoying ourselves. We bought into the Villages for the lifestyle...fun, entertainment,activities and friendly people..
One Person is complaining...we should not all suffer because of one old crank..
Now that person is the stereotype "all about him/herself"....
Old 11-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOCH View Post
I do not think an 8:00 pm restriction for outside entertainment at the country clubs is resonable. I have been at the Havana country club and the Mallory country club for their outside entertainment and it did not seem to me to be extremely loud or obnoxious. I do not understand why someone who wants privacy and quiet would move near a country club when there are other location options for seerenity in TV. Most of us have moved to TV for the entertainment and to enjoy the outside. Particularly now that the temperatures are very comfortable. In fact, for about half of the year it is not even dark at 8:00PM.

I do not think that we should label this issue a "curfew". That label is a bit extreme and misleading. But this is a "restriction" that can hurt the business at our local country clubs and limit our options for enjoying outside entertainment. Especially during these nice weather months. 10PM seems to me to be very reasonable time to end outside entertainment.

Makes sense to me...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Linda from Mgt called me again today and The Villages powers that be had a meeting yesterday concerning this situation and they read the covenants or what ever you call them and there is only one exception to not having music shut down earlier than 9PM and that is if the Sheriff confirms that it is too loud. They were not aware of the problem and insist it is just a rumor and want more input from residents of the Villages about what is being said and whether or not there are witnesses who will confirm that the deputies are indeed appearing and shutting music down early. They are not happy about that it if is really happening.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 PM

I think this is my last post about this subject. I am just satisfied that Linda was kind enough to call. I hope the situation gets resolved to the satisfaction of all the Villages residents. I look forward to someday before I get too much older and more decrepit to living in TV and enjoying all it has to offer, including music.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Two points of interest to me:
1: Nowhere in the ordinance, as posted in the post #141, did I see 8 pm as the required time of closing. Why did the sheriff arbitrarily decide on 8 pm.
2: As far as the future of the golf course if the restuarant fails, the pro shop and golf course are operated by Golf Management Systems (GMS).
Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Kaye View Post
GOOD POINTS!

Fran, Read the whole thread. Then come to the Lighthouse to enjoy live music tonight and open until midnight Thurs-Sat. every weekend.
Also know houses that back up to Havana have been blasted every night with loud, loud noise.
Martha Kaye - you're right on point. The houses by Havana have all been blasted with loud music. I really feel sorry for them. No one is saying there is a curfew. I don't understand why people are mindlessly ranting about that. My understanding is that the residents in Hemingway are just asking that a compromise be made - either cease or put the music inside after 8:00. Sounds fair to me. The party people can still dance and make merry INSIDE till all hours of the night, and the residents can enjoy their homes - a Win-Win situation.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYMARYANN View Post
Linda from Mgt .
I'm curious what "Mgt" is. What position does Linda have in Mgt.

This may have been explained somewhere in the previous 218 posts, but I can't find it.

JLK
Old 11-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYMARYANN View Post
I think this is my last post about this subject. I am just satisfied that Linda was kind enough to call. I hope the situation gets resolved to the satisfaction of all the Villages residents. I look forward to someday before I get too much older and more decrepit to living in TV and enjoying all it has to offer, including music.
Mary Ann,

Thank you for taking the initiative to look into this.

Kate

PS This thread is the perfect example of how rumors start in TV (and how the radio and TV talk hosts continue to proliferate). Whalen wrote a post with curfew in the title. That obviosuly caught the attention of many - as headlines are meant to. How many subsequent posters actually read what she wrote beyond the headline? As NJBlue points out, he wouldn't need to repeat himself if folks would read the thread before posting.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Default WHAT!!! 8:00 lights out

What is going on there. I am coming down for 3 weeks starting Dec 5th and was wanting to have a good time. I have all ready paid my rent and this kind of information will killed the theme that THE VILLAGES IS THIS FRIENDLY HOME TOWN. I hope all of you living there jump on this with both feet............
Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks61 View Post
What is going on there. I am coming down for 3 weeks starting Dec 5th and was wanting to have a good time. I have all ready paid my rent and this kind of information will killed the theme that THE VILLAGES IS THIS FRIENDLY HOME TOWN. I hope all of you living there jump on this with both feet............
Not to worry Parks, you will have a wonderful time, I guarantee it!
And it is indeed The Friendliest Hometown, but as my Mother would say "there is always someone (grumps) to spoil the bunch. I have confidence that a resolution will be met and the fun will continue! See you in December!!
Jeanne
Old 11-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts
Default Parks....c'mon down as planned and you will not be

disappointed. The subject being thrashed here is as most are a relative issue...where one lives...what one thinks....etc...

Most importantly it is a 1% issue!!!!!!!!!! Therefore really does not affect life per se as intended to be lived in TV.

If one does not have a good time and a good stay in TV it can ONLY be by choice.

btk
Old 11-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Default I read all the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneBeannie View Post
Not to worry Parks, you will have a wonderful time, I guarantee it!
And it is indeed The Friendliest Hometown, but as my Mother would say "there is always someone (grumps) to spoil the bunch. I have confidence that a resolution will be met and the fun will continue! See you in December!!
Jeanne
after I posted mine. Like putting the cart in front of the horse. It was a long read to read them all but a good one. I was at TV last Sept for a week and stayed very close to this CC and never heard a thing. Played golf there -it was very nice - had lunch and a beer - very nice - played with members all very nice. I never met any "grumps" the week I was there but like everywhere they are around. I did enjoy all the posts and the reaction's to some - I love people with opinion's and people who will speak out. One person complains and WOW all this. I plan on having a ball while I'm there!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.