A/C stopped working week after having maintenance call

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2023, 10:23 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
No way is this possible.
Those motors in those compressors are too powerful to believe this.
I'm with you on this one, it's more than one in a million and, the perpetrator is much too small. Have a brother in law who worked in the industry all his life, the tales he has about how difficult it is for a top tech to find an HONEST company to work for are chilling. People might believe this to be a relative, or a solicited opinion, but it is not. Moved to the area for work long before retirement in the Villages, and the advice we were given that Chuck Farrell and his family in Lady Lake is the most honest Heat and AC business you'll find around here. It has certainly proven so with us.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,064 Times in 461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
... the advice we were given that Chuck Farrell and his family in Lady Lake is the most honest Heat and AC business you'll find around here. It has certainly proven so with us.
Hear, hear.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:55 AM
Veteran member

If you have a maintenance contract, then at least every 10 years or so, pay the extra cost to replace the contactor and the capacitor.

Also highly recommend installing a soft start. It will protect against damage from failed parts as well as electrical transients and extend the life of your compressor.

Why Every Homeowner Should Consider Installing an AC Soft Starter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDp1g8r8IVs
Old 06-15-2023, 05:14 AM
Platinum member

///

Last edited by Worldseries27; 06-15-2023 at 05:29 AM. Reason: File
Old 06-15-2023, 06:04 AM

Most ACs companies LOVE to replace the capacitor in a unit. About $200 job for a $30 partin Amazon.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:06 AM

Have had animals cause problems too. Thanks for reminder and advice.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

I switched to One Hour after five years with SunKool. I suffered with no AC for three weeks last July as they replaced the capacitor, coil, compressor and countless refilling of “Pureon”. It wasn’t until one very conscientious worker went up into the attic and found a kink it a line. For two years I complained that the temperature never reached the setting I had it set at and my regular serviceman made excuses. I was done with SunKool! So far I have been happy with One Hour. They seem to be honest and reading your message makes me feel like I made the right decision.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The typical maintenance service that HVAC companies do will not prevent a system failure. The main things to do are to replace the filter and to ensure that the condensate drain is flowing freely by adding hot water every month or so. I do these things myself and never pay for routine maintenance.
Cleaning your AC condensate line(s) is a lot easier if you modify the PVC plumbing line near the air handler(s). You add a shutoff switch and a connection for a garden hose. The condensate line is blown out with the water pressure from the garden hose. The PVC shutoff switch prevents the garden hose water from going into your air handler, and forces the water to exit through the condensate line outside your home.

There are several YouTube videos that demonstrate how to modify the PVC condensate line. I bought the parts from Lowe’s, which was drastically cheaper than buying the module from EBay.

I have two air handlers in my garage. I also have a sink in my garage. The next time I flush out my condensate lines, I think I’ll connect a hose from the garage sink to the condensate line connection port. Maybe flushing out the lines with pressurized hot water would be more effective that using pressurized cold water.

If I don’t clean out my condensate lines, then after about one year, one of the condensate lines gets clogged, and the AC quits working because the clogged condensate line triggers a shutoff relay to active, which shuts down the AC system. Cleaning the condensate line about every 3 to 6 months prevents the failures. I find it a lot easier to hook up a hose to the condensate lines than to pour a bucket of hot water into a funnel into the condensate line. The hose eliminates the hassle of carrying a heavy bucket of hot water up the ladder in the garage.

https://youtu.be/-EnyXGBIOH0
Old 06-15-2023, 08:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Cleaning your AC condensate line(s) is a lot easier if you modify the PVC plumbing line near the air handler(s). You add a shutoff switch and a connection for a garden hose. The condensate line is blown out with the water pressure from the garden hose. The PVC shutoff switch prevents the garden hose water from going into your air handler, and forces the water to exit through the condensate line outside your home.

There are several YouTube videos that demonstrate how to modify the PVC condensate line. I bought the parts from Lowe’s, which was drastically cheaper than buying the module from EBay.

I have two air handlers in my garage. I also have a sink in my garage. The next time I flush out my condensate lines, I think I’ll connect a hose from the garage sink to the condensate line connection port. Maybe flushing out the lines with pressurized hot water would be more effective that using pressurized cold water.

If I don’t clean out my condensate lines, then after about one year, one of the condensate lines gets clogged, and the AC quits working because the clogged condensate line triggers a shutoff relay to active, which shuts down the AC system. Cleaning the condensate line about every 3 to 6 months prevents the failures. I find it a lot easier to hook up a hose to the condensate lines than to pour a bucket of hot water into a funnel into the condensate line. The hose eliminates the hassle of carrying a heavy bucket of hot water up the ladder in the garage.

Good idea thanks for the suggestion
Old 06-15-2023, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,807 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

I have a Drain King 345 from Amazon. It does the same thing without modifying the piping. The rubber tip expands and prevents water backflow. But you do need someone to hold it when you first turn the water on.

Amazon.com
Old 06-15-2023, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have a Drain King 345 from Amazon. It does the same thing without modifying the piping. The rubber tip expands and prevents water backflow. But you do need someone to hold it when you first turn the water on.

Amazon.com

The best $10 (OR WHATEVER IT NOW IS) I ever spent on a MAINTENANCE TOOL.

Got one a couple of years ago on your suggestion. Everyone who does A/C DIY should own one of these nifty & clever little rubber things. My drain pipe had a decent vertical drop so no 2nd person holding was needed.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
As a person once in the A/C field it can be a very shady industry.

I’m not saying this company did anything wrong but it was common practice to arrange things to fail for future business.

I would be very selective in picking an AC outfit.
We got a snake caught in ours that stopped the fan.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,929 Times in 923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
It is highly suspect that an anole prevented the fan blade from turning. How much does an anole weigh? We once had a snake get tangled in the fan blade. A neighbor heard the racket that snake made as it was getting churned to snake soup. We weren't home at the time. By the time we arrived home, the A/C outside unit was humming as usual. Snake guts were all over the unit so that had to be washed out though.

Closed Thread

Tags
call, a/c, service, fan, maintenance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.