Can you help?  Cable alternative

Can you help? Cable alternative

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 05-18-2019, 08:12 PM
Sage

DO YOU THINK YOU ARE HAPPY NOW? Forget it already. If you want to Stream which is simple, listen to Fredster and Bambi. The way I look at it is I have to have internet anyway so I don't factor that into my calculation of how much Television costs nowadays. The Real Cost of YouTube Streaming TV is $50 plus the fees, it just went up $10 a month but added so many great channels I got to cancel Philo which WAS $18 a month.

We have more great content than we will ever need and are finally Happy Now! Stream, you won't regret it.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Platinum member

I'd also advise looking at suppose.tv before having an expert come to your home, so you'd already know which channels are "must haves." We happily cut cable TV over four years ago.. Although we have a smart TV we depend on Roku mainly for PBS, Pandora, and Acorn (British TV dramas). Our old Roku died during this week's thunderstorm and we couldn't wait to replace it. It was very easy to do so.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Sage

We pay Comcast/Xfinity $170 per month for blast internet and more channels than we need.
Back out the internet as I think Comcast is among if not the best.
That leaves television at $110 per month.
I have tried Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon and Plex streaming.
For me, just too much ala carte hunting and pecking. And the bigger issue of recording. We record everything we watch.

Until the dust settles on streaming standards, pricing, recording capability, etc..... I elect to continue paying around $50 more per month for the current convenience.

Current streaming pricing will continue to increase as people demand more conveniences (like current cable/satellites).

For now we will wait and continue to enjoy what we have.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:28 AM

You have to choose between convenience and cost. You can save a lot of money, but, you will have to "work" at using a "cut-the-cord" device. By that I mean you to be willing to learn a new way of watching TV and movies. Sometimes you get a "circle" on the screen. That means your show is "buffering" (I.E. waiting for more of the data to load), that can be very annoying. Your show may not show up on your device for a day, a week, or even a month (if ever). "Live" shows, may not be available, local channels may not be available. Sometimes it's worth it to just have basic service.

I compare "cutting the cord" to learning to swim. You don't jump into the deep end without knowing how to swim. You start in the shallow end and work your way up until you feel comfortable. I often tell people to get a device (I prefer the Fire Stick) and keep their cable service until they feel comfortable with just the device.

I also tell people to buy their own Modem/Router (they save about $15/month and and get a return on they investment as little as 1 year).

I use a site called "Troypoint.com" to program the Fire Stick.

So I have Comcast for internet only and pay $70/mo.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
You have to choose between convenience and cost. You can save a lot of money, but, you will have to "work" at using a "cut-the-cord" device. By that I mean you to be willing to learn a new way of watching TV and movies. Sometimes you get a "circle" on the screen. That means your show is "buffering" (I.E. waiting for more of the data to load), that can be very annoying. Your show may not show up on your device for a day, a week, or even a month (if ever). "Live" shows, may not be available, local channels may not be available. Sometimes it's worth it to just have basic service.

I compare "cutting the cord" to learning to swim. You don't jump into the deep end without knowing how to swim. You start in the shallow end and work your way up until you feel comfortable. I often tell people to get a device (I prefer the Fire Stick) and keep their cable service until they feel comfortable with just the device.

I also tell people to buy their own Modem/Router (they save about $15/month and and get a return on they investment as little as 1 year).

I use a site called "Troypoint.com" to program the Fire Stick.

So I have Comcast for internet only and pay $70/mo.

I hope this helps.
Would that be a speed of 60 Mbps? If yes, does it buffer a lot?
Old 05-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We pay Comcast/Xfinity $170 per month for blast internet and more channels than we need.
For me, just too much ala carte hunting and pecking. And the bigger issue of recording. We record everything we watch.

Until the dust settles on streaming standards, pricing, recording capability, etc..... I elect to continue paying around $50 more per month for the current convenience.

Current streaming pricing will continue to increase as people demand more conveniences (like current cable/satellites).

I agree, same with Spectrum.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-19-2019, 02:01 PM

When we were on Lifestyle at the Brownwood villas this March they had xfinity by Comcast on TV that not only had few channels but very low definition etc we did not really have the proper remote either but it was the worst TV we have ever had. Also the screen had the wrong aspect ratio. It was certainly set up to show how bad it can be. Roku and Netflix were not accessible. My hubby was beyond frustrated. When I was in Hawaii I usually watched what we recorded on our PVR at home up North. I hope that we can do better than that in TV. Any ideas are welcome. We are at Mallory just south of Sumter Landing.

Last edited by Velvet; 05-19-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

I agree, and if you "play their game" you can get all what you have for under $120. If you're dealing with Comcast just sign up as a new account every time yours has expired. Been doing that for probably 40 years between DirecTV, Fios & now Comcast depending on where I lived.. Just "re-signed" for $125/mo for 2 years for internet and cable with more channels + Showtime than I would ever need and all on one 4K box for 2 TV's plus internet. Doing the same for SIRIUS/XM satellite radio. Never paid more than half-price. Unless you have ALL the pay channels if you are paying more than $100-125/mo depending on # of TV's for TV AND internet you're doing it wrong. Between dealing with OTA antennas and Hulu and all the other bits and pieces from different apps the inconvenience just isn't worth saving $20/month. I just want to push a button and watch TV.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Would that be a speed of 60 Mbps? If yes, does it buffer a lot?
I have Comcast 25MBPS internet service, and don’t have problem with buffering....
and we have 2 Roku TV’s, 2 laptops, Simplisafe doorbell, 2 Smart phones and a couple of IPads connected.
Plus a Nexia wifi controlled thermostat.
And many operating at same time.
A good up to date router is very important!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:28 AM

Yes, it is 60mps and no it doesn't buffer.

Tags
don’t, spectrum, option, kind, thing