Cart path closing

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgunvs View Post
I live south of 466a and I drive up to Aldi's and Lowes in my golf cart. Many home owners from the Historical side do not have cars. These are the people that helped build The Villages. They can no longer go to their banks and other businesses on 441. Do the businesses know of this closure? They should be informed due to the fact that they will lose alot of money. This is a sad day for us golf carters. I also heard BK's rumor. I know that the owner of the assisted living put in a great golf cart path. How will his new tenents get to The Villages? Oh, wait - maybe that was the purpose!!! Bad business and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I did not realize that Buttonwood is south of 466a. How long does it take to golf cart from south of 466a to Aldi's?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

If this is true, this is a major problem for us. My wife works at Aldi and does not drive. She uses that gate five times a week. There is also another girl that lives over here that works there and does not drive.

I would think that closing that gate would be very detrimental to Lowes, Aldi, Wal-Mart and all of the other businesses over there.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,007 Times in 385 Posts

[quote=graciegirl;723800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgunvs View Post
How will his new tenents get to The Villages? Oh, wait - maybe that was the purpose!!! Bad business and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.[/quote]

But, how would the evil recipient benefit? If you are going to have a story with a moral...or a story with an issue ..you have to show HOW the mean people benefit?

One way may be that those currently planning to move into Harbor Chase, on the basis that they could access shops and restaurants in TV, will now be persuaded to move into a Villages-owned assisted living center instead.

And if it is a long-running feud between the two "property magnates" then scoring points is probably more important than earning another million. Money isn't everything, especially if you have plenty of it.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
According to my friend who works at The Sun, I was told it all has to do with the feud between Morse and the Harbor Chase owner. Harbor Chase advertised "golf cart friendly" and Morse didn't like that so up goes the wall.
I agree with this post in that it is the only logical conclusion. The other businesses have been there for quite some time and only when a new assisted living facility goes in, the wall goes up. It is rather obvious that the developer wants to have the only golf cart accessible assisted living facilities and is more than willing to greatly inconvenience us to further his bottom line. The same thing happened to the assisted living facilities north of WalMart on the 466 - signs went up saying no golf carts beyond this point and the church was told to keep their gate closed that provided access. We have a friend who is a doctor in the offices back there and he told us the church was threatened with the gate being permanently locked unless they agreed to only open it when the church was being used.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:29 PM

I moved, like a true Villager. From Fernandina to Aldi's it takes about 45 minutes. I love the drive and it saves gas.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Sage

For the people on the other side that are interested, the gate is between 1155 and 1159 Paradise Dr. I exits into a medical facility which I understand is owned by the Villages. Beyond that medical facility is a new assisted care facility which is still under construction. Past the assisted care facility, there is a dirt road about 200 yards long that runs beside a water retention pond, behind the Internet Cafe and some other businesses. The dirt road empties into Lowe's parking lot.

For us in this area and some on the other side of 27/441 this is the way that we get to Lowes, Aldi, Wal-Mart and several other small businesses.
From what I'm hearing, Gary Morse has had some kind of dispute with the owner of the new assisted living facility. Morse has built an assisted living facility of his own somewhere near 466a. Some people think that this is to steer people to his facility instead of his competitor. Personally, I think that it has to be something else. There is certainly enough business for several assisted living facilities. My understanding is that there was some kind of dispute in the past between Mr Morse and the owner of the new facility. It sounds like some kind of personal problem.

Not only is this going to affect so many of us that live on this side, but it is also going to adversely affect those businesses on the other side. I would think that Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Aldi, Firehouse Subs and all of those businesses might want to get together and see if something can be done. That along with pressure from the residents may get this changed.

I heard someone mention today, that that cart path was there when most of us bought our houses. We bought houses with the understanding that we'd be able to have golf cart access to those businesses on the other side of that gate. We may have some sort of legal standing on that basis if it comes down to that.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I did not realize that Buttonwood is south of 466a. How long does it take to golf cart from south of 466a to Aldi's?
Button wood is not south of 466a.

I'd say that it would take the better part of 45 minutes to get from 466a to Aldi

Old 08-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Sage

U mess with the bull U get da horns!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

Can a golf cart pathway be built along 441 like it is on sections of 466 and 466A?? That seems to me like a plausible solution to this mess.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson View Post
Can a golf cart pathway be built along 441 like it is on sections of 466 and 466A?? That seems to me like a plausible solution to this mess.
Yes, but...

Each and all of the property owners along this stretch of road would have to grant permanent easements (some of whom may or may not love The Developer)

And, someone would have to pay for the actual construction.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Uh, maybe your car? If you do not have a car, there is a taxi. You never were promised a golf cart path to businesses outside The Villages.
Maybe not, but it was there when most of us bought our houses. And in some instances it was pointed out as a benefit of living here.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

What a shame that all of us "little guys" have to get caught in the "War of the Billionares"
Old 08-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,559 Times in 1,931 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
What a shame that all of us "little guys" have to get caught in the "War of the Billionares"

None of this yet is ascertained as fact. It is all conjecture. But I see how a lot of people feel about other issues. I understand your surprise and frustration but what can now be done to make this a little easier?

None of us know FOR SURE why the path is closed but it is. Dr. Boogie, perhaps you will now drive your wife back and forth to work? Maybe car pools can be arranged. Maybe someone can drive others for a small fee? Redwitch, is there any other way, other than that path, any cut throughs beyond and behind? Perhaps when non drivers need to go to Lowes they can post on your neighborhood email? Also the same for visits to doctors? What percentage of people in those three villages do most think don't drive. Perhaps some church could make it an outreach project? With a few members of a church transporting people to and from maybe twice a week? Perhaps we TOTV'rs could arrange some kind of volunteer car transportation? Remember just that ONE area has been closed, those three older villages still have golf cart access to the rest of the entire villages property.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't understand what you mean?
Meaning Morse and the owner of the new AL facility.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Am I missing a war?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.