Chitty Chatty Bridge, What Were They Thinking?

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2020, 12:17 PM
Default Chitty Chatty Bridge, What Were They Thinking?

Watching the latest of Don's videos, I am surprised (or maybe not surprised) at the lack of foretought in the design of the Chitty Chatty bridge.

Unlike the bridge crossing Lake Sumter, where there is a dedicated walking and biking lane, the Chitty Chatty bridge features(?) a single walking / biking lane on the Rohan side of the bridge which abruptly ends at the top.

While a good idea (developer liability), won't this cause more problems than it attempts to alleviate?

As a walker / runner / cyclist, with many years sharing space with carts and cars, here is my take.

On a flat roadway / sidewalk

1. Walkers travel at 2 to 5 mph.
2. Runners travel at 6 to 10 mph
3. Cyclists travel at 8 to 18 mph
4. Carts travel at 20+ mph

So what happens at the top of the grade when the four groups merge together to travel across the bridge?

Answer, the walkers walk at 5 mph, the runners run at 8 mph, the cyclists cycle at 14 mph and all the carts line up behind them, even though the cart drivers are used to traveling 20 mph.

Hopefully, all the cart drivers will be abundantly patient and slow to 5 mph. The carts will not attempt to pass the walkers / runners / cyclists. Yeah right!

Can you say Morgan and Morgan?
Old 10-07-2020, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

does anyone know the width of the 2 lanes on the bridge?
Old 10-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,181 Times in 5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Watching the latest of Don's videos, I am surprised (or maybe not surprised) at the lack of foretought in the design of the Chitty Chatty bridge.

Unlike the bridge crossing Lake Sumter, where there is a dedicated walking and biking lane, the Chitty Chatty bridge features(?) a single walking / biking lane on the Rohan side of the bridge which abruptly ends at the top.

While a good idea (developer liability), won't this cause more problems than it attempts to alleviate?

As a walker / runner / cyclist, with many years sharing space with carts and cars, here is my take.

So what happens at the top of the grade when the four groups merge together to travel across the bridge?

Answer, the walkers walk at 5 mph, the runners run at 8 mph, the cyclists cycle at 14 mph and all the carts line up behind them, even though the cart drivers are used to traveling 20 mph.

Hopefully, all the cart drivers will be abundantly patient and slow to 5 mph. The carts will not attempt to pass the walkers / runners / cyclists. Yeah right!

Actually it is worse as the average walker is more like 2-3 mph.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Anything to save a few bucks. You are correct. How shortsighted, and dangerous.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,479 Times in 2,556 Posts

I was told by my barbers gardener, that the walkway to the top was for skiers to use when it snows here in the winter!
Old 10-07-2020, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I was told by my barbers gardener, that the walkway to the top was for skiers to use when it snows here in the winter!
Wow we are new and thought we could never use our skis here.

Now to find someone to wax our skis.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:52 PM
Default Turnpike Bridge

Is the Fl Turnpike bridge the same design?
Old 10-07-2020, 02:35 PM
Veteran member

Guess you can stay off the bridge, problem solved!
Old 10-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,272 Posts

A sidewalk at ground level to a new crosswalk or the light at Morse/44 would aleviate the risk.

A crosswalk the a recently added at Everglades to allow walkers to bypass two tunnels.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:51 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,316 Times in 547 Posts

Well, we will see for ourselves as we drive the Chitty Chatty bridge in a few days. Its rather spectacular to see from a distance and drive under on State Route 44.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,416 Times in 1,462 Posts

I doubt that there will be many people walking on that bridge, maybe at the beginning but it will quickly fade. I also don't see it having heavy bike and golf car traffic, it will be used by both but doubtful there will be any "traffic jams" as there will be plenty of space for the cars to pass the bikes. For the next few months only those living in Chitty Chatty and Bradford will have easy access to the bridge, even walkers from west of the Turnpike will have to find a place to park their cars before starting their journey. As far as those living north, after they find there is really nothing much to see or do over there at this time they won't come back until the golf courses are open or at such time that they can cross the turnpike.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts

Quote:

solution? Drive you’re car to the other side of the golf cart bridge, then park and start walking, or remove you bike from car and start riding. I don’t know how much that bridge costs? But you can bet it not cheap. Be glad got golf cart bridge connection the lower section.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
Few hundred thousand bucks?
Old 10-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Few hundred thousand bucks?
or even more
Old 10-08-2020, 05:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
Try modifying speed to match traffic and road conditions. Tried the bridge. No big deal.

Tags
mph, bridge, travel, carts, chatty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.