Chitty Chatty Bridge, What Were They Thinking?

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,432 Times in 1,473 Posts

But very little in the DS. When they opened the Putt and Play there was a huge opening including local officials, members of the family, handouts, etc. That bridge was a pretty big project, not that I would have attended but just surprised that it was on the quiet side. As far as YouTube, I only go their looking for DIY instructions, would not have thought to go there for a local opening.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Well, did anyone go over and try out the bridge? I was surprised that there was simply a little side post about it being open in the DS today, no ribbon cutting, no fanfare whatsoever. Guess it was not all that important.
Or, maybe it's more important to avoid gatherings during a pandemic.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:19 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,432 Times in 1,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Sort of like bringing back entertainment to the squares LOL.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Sort of like bringing back entertainment to the squares LOL.
Entertainment on the squares is paid for and controlled by the merchants on the squares. Building and construction is a whole other entity.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:13 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I crossed the bridge today to observe its fine for golf cart traffic. All others I would recommend taking a different path!
Old 10-09-2020, 08:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,231 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Yep! If there had been a big event there would have been posts on here wanting to know what they were thinking about. Having a large gathering during a pandemic, how thoughtless and stupid, etc., etc.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Yep! If there had been a big event there would have been posts on here wanting to know what they were thinking about. Having a large gathering during a pandemic, how thoughtless and stupid, etc., etc.
Yep.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:41 AM

Chitty Chatty - wasn’t that the name of Cindy’s doll?
Old 10-10-2020, 05:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,048 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I suspect when the golf cart paths was built the were golf cart paths. I walk paths often and have no problems? Why? Cause at first sign of any congestion I step way off the path, thus taking myself out of any danger.
you know, that just might work!
Old 10-10-2020, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
I suspect if a golf cart driver runs into a pedestrian on the MULTI MODAL PATH the golf cart driver will be declared at fault. Just because a cart can go 20 mph or faster does not mean it is appropriate to always drive that fast. If I am driving my cart and come to a curve with limited visibility, I slow down. If I am driving early morning or late evening with limited visibility, I slow down to whatever speed makes visibility safe. If I meet pedestrians in the split part of the MMP, I slow down even though most will step off the path. While driving my cart, if I come up behind a bicyclist on the split portion of the MMP, I slow down and follow him until the path opens back up. No need to hurry and risk injuring someone.

Pedestrians who do not carry some type of illumination in the dark are taking on risk also.

The MMP's are for all forms of transportation from carts, to scooters, to roller blades, to bicycles, to Segways. We all have an obligation to share the MMP and to proceed safely.
Unfortunately, you are correct. So the person killed while walking on a multi modal path will be able to have "I was right" inscribed on their gravestone.

Speaking of bicyclists by the way, I was once behind a group of about ten bicyclists who were traveling about 13 mph. I followed them slowly until it was safe to pass. When I attempted to pass, several of them moved to their left to block my way. This happened three or four time until finally they took a different route. Talk about thinking that they are entitled.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

It's a golf cart bridge. If you are a runner, walker or bike rider, you can go down to the corner of Morse and Rt 44 and cross at the light. Problem solved. You also get a little more exercise.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:56 AM
Default Bridge signage is cockeyed

My problem with the bridges is aesthetic. The Villages' logo is centered on the bridge, but the bridge is not centered on the highway. That throws the signage off-center to the thousands of drivers passing by every day, and it was for that reason the signage was created.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	86555  
Old 10-10-2020, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,131 Posts

It seems that a lot of people biked , walked and ran over the bridge including friends of mine . I will be doing so today, I wonder if golf cart drivers who feel it’s unsafe for others to try have an agenda Hmmmmm
Old 10-10-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
When I saw “What were they thinking?” I thought they meant the name”Chitty Chatty”. I was talking to my son who has visited here many times & casually mentioned “Chitty Chatty”. He said you’re kidding...right. I replied : No that’s the real name. Where did they get that name?
Chittee Yoholo, Seminole

Florida Online Journals

For the people that have lived here all their lives, it's the name of the water that runs under Highway 468.

For those who make fun of Chitty chatty, learn the history of the Native Americans who called the area home. Chittee Chattee was an Indian Chief who lived here. Translated from the Miccosoukee language, it means Red Snake. (or "The snake that makes noise")

Original spelling is Chittee Chattee and the pond was named after an Indian Chief in that area. The translation means "Red Snake."

From History of the Indian tribes of North America

Chittee Yoholo, Seminole | Access Genealogy

Chittee Yoholo, or The snake that makes a noise, is a Seminole of some note, although but twenty-eight years of age.

He was born in Florida, in that region of inaccessible swamps, which our gallant troops have found to be anything but a land of flowers.

His complexion, which is of a darker hue than that of our other Indians, marks his descent; and there is an expression of fierceness in the countenance indicative of a race living in perpetual hostility.

Such has been the history of the Seminoles, who are, as their name indicates, wanderers, or outcasts, from other tribes. A few restless individuals, who separated themselves from the southern nations, either from dislike against the modified habits introduced into those communities by their contact with the whites, or from impatience of the restraints even of savage life, strayed off to the wilds of Florida, and connected themselves with some feeble remnants of the ancient population, who lingered in that remote region.

While that province remained in possession of the Spaniards, the jealousy of that government, as well as the peculiar character of the country, and the savage nature of the people, rendered it comparatively inaccessible to American curiosity or enterprise; and we knew little of the savage tribes within its limits, except from their occasional depredations upon our frontier, and from the protection afforded by them to runaway slaves from the southern states.

These evils became enhanced during the late war with Great Britain, and one of the chief inducements to the purchase of Florida, by our government. was the hope of either taming or driving away such troublesome neighbors.

We merely touch the subject in this place for the purpose of showing what we supposed to be the main cause of the ferocious and obstinate character of the hostilities that have recently rendered that region a scene of wide-spread desolation. In the history of wars of aggravated malevolence, it will generally be found that some ancient grudge, festering in the passions of the frontier population, gives a secret rancor to the dispute which it could scarcely have attained from the political differences that are alone apparent to the public eye.

The first occasion on which Chittee Yoholo was engaged, was when General Gaines was surrounded by the Seminoles; he was one of the hostile party, and declares that he fought hard, and tried his best to kill the white men. Soon after, he was engaged in another fight, in which he killed a white man, and taking the scalp, he carried it to the council-house of his tribe, and threw it at the feet of an aged warrior thus invoking the approbation of one who was experienced in the wiles and dangers of warfare.

The men of the village assembled, danced all night, recounted their recent adventures, especially that which they were now celebrating, and, instead of honoring the lion of the occasion with a toast, and requiring a speech in return, as we should have done, they gave him a new name, Chewasti Emathla, Emathla meaning, next to the warrior, and Chewasti being a kind of surname, thrown in for euphony.

After that, he killed and scalped another white man, carried in the bloody trophy, and again the warriors danced in honor of his success; and now they called him Olocta Tuscane Hadja, which means, The blue crazy warrior; and again, on bringing in another scalp, they danced round it all night, and called him Olocta Tustennugge, The Blue warrior.

All these were stealthy feats performed in the night. The Indians regard such with peculiar gratification, from the high estimate, which they place on achievements conducted with cunning, and won without exposure.

He was constantly out, and usually without companions, stealing upon the sleeping inmates of the cabin, or waylaying the straggler in the forest; so that we may infer that the Snake that makes a noise, like the reptile whose name he bears, crouched in silence until the moment when he was about to spring upon his prey.

He was lying in the coverts around Fort Mellon, while Paddy Carr was there with the friendly Indians, of whom he counted one hundred and twenty, as he gazed at them from his lurking-place. After he had watched a whole night, he joined an assailing party of his people, who fired upon the fort in the morning, and of whom ten were killed; he received a spent ball in his hand, and being unable to manage his gun, retired.

He was in a battle with the Tennessee volunteers, in which three Seminoles were killed, whose bodies were dragged to the nearest bushes and hidden, as there was not time to bury or to carry them off.

He participated in the battle of Wahoo Swamp, where the Indians lost two warriors, and killed several of the whites. The next day the whites came again, and a skirmish ensued. Acee Yoholo was present in all these fights. On one occasion, Chittee Yoholo drove off a hundred cattle from the settlements of the white people; and he tells of various other battles that he was engaged in, in addition to those we have mentioned.

Having stated that he had seen and recognized Jim Boy at the head of the Indians friendly to the whites, he was asked why he had not killed that chief, whose unusual height made him a conspicuous object. He replied that it was not the will of the Great Spirit; and added that he had been in many battles, and not having lost his life, he concluded he should die of sickness, and he supposed that Jim Boy would die in the same way. The allusion to the latter was made in consequence of his being present at this conversation.

After the adventures related, and many others, this chief listened to the overtures of the Creek Indians, who invited him to a council, and gave him, as he expresses it, a good talk. He accompanied them to St. Augustine, and gave himself up to the commanding officer, by whom he was kindly treated. He has a wife and two children in Arkansas.

END
Closed Thread

Tags
mph, bridge, travel, carts, chatty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.