Dark painted homes

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2022, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
No, it appears you are not a designer of any sort. Seventy years later, the color to which you refer is still very much a popular color, much to your chagrin, I'm sure.

The color you erroneously refer to is probably Mizner pink which is prolific, mostly in Palm Beach County. It is hardly Pepto Bismol pink and in reality, is a soft shrimp-type color. That color is used in excellent taste as indicated by some very classy properties, i.e. The Boca Raton Hotel and Resort, Mar-a- Lago, Mizner Park, and many others including many local residences. The use of that color in southeast Florida is an indication of historic preservation, of which you probably aren't aware.

Today's trend in house colors is towards deeper, more intense colors, and not the boring white and beige colors. Browns, rusts, deeper blues, and greens are popular. So, get used to these types of colors. Like it or not, you will be seeing more of it.
80% of the people wear BLACK clothes about 80% of the time. This has been going on for about 15 years since the "grunge" movement began in Seattle, I believe. And it has spread like a disease to homes in Florida. Funny how young people start trends and oldtimers follow them like sad puppies.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Talking HA, Ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
No, it is Pepto Bismol pink I'm referring to. I lived in South Florida for 24 years beginning in the mid 70s and Pepto Bismol Pink was a popular color. This is the color I'm referring to.........

Family, Parenting, Pet and Lifestyle Tips That Bring Us Closer Together | LittleThings.com
Well, what else would you expect?
That's in Texas, not Florida!!!!!
Old 03-08-2022, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,311 Times in 4,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
80% of the people wear BLACK clothes about 80% of the time. This has been going on for about 15 years since the "grunge" movement began in Seattle, I believe. And it has spread like a disease to homes in Florida. Funny how young people start trends and oldtimers follow them like sad puppies.
Grunge began 30-35 yers ago and was defined by worn jeans an plaid flannel shirts...

Think "Pearl Jam" and "Nirvana"...

The Villages Florida

You're probably thinking of "Goth"

-Tom Petty
Old 03-08-2022, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
People tend to bring their likes and taste with them from "up north". Old habits die slowly. And the higher air conditioning bill for dark houses and roofs may eventually convenience people that they are NO LONGER up north. If people are complaining about this wait until gas prices go up and the professional lawn mowing people begin passing the cost of their gas-guzzling noise machines onto Villagers. And the price of everything in the stores goes up! And if or when we have an area-wide loss of electricity due to offshore hackers. There may be a lot to complain about in the near future.
You just can't help yourself...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-09-2022, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

OK, then I guess TV do allow you to paint your house anyway you want. I know you mentioned RR 44 but 44 only goes through a small part of TV, around Brownwood. Can’t argue with you but I’m thinking the part of 44 you’re talking about isn’t in TV. Maybe I’m wrong! Have a great day.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Well, what else would you expect?
That's in Texas, not Florida!!!!!
I lived in South Florida as I stated earlier. I saw homes in that Pepto Bismol color in South Florida. I never liked that pink on a home and could never understand the love people had for it.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,479 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Just be glad that those dark houses are not dark because of radiation fallout soot.
That sounds weirdly pessimistic/dystopian… are you ok?
Old 03-09-2022, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
OK, then I guess TV do allow you to paint your house anyway you want. I know you mentioned RR 44 but 44 only goes through a small part of TV, around Brownwood. Can’t argue with you but I’m thinking the part of 44 you’re talking about isn’t in TV. Maybe I’m wrong! Have a great day.
Don't know to whom you're responding, but no, you can't just "paint your house anyway you want". You nee approval for the color from the ARC...

As to your 44 point? No idea...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-09-2022, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,182 Times in 835 Posts

I'd love to see a street where the deed requirement bright pastel colors. It could look like the street in Curacao or that other place in the photo below.

Not random homes here and there, perhaps, but a street of happy colors.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	vil.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	92934   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	cur.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	92935  
Old 03-09-2022, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Conformity is why I came here.

Conformity had nothing to do with my moving here. I moved here so that my wife could have a social life and not find herself sitting on the porch watching everyone go off to work or school every morning. I moved here because there is always someone home in the neighborhood to act as a form of security, lend assistance when someone needs it and just there to make the neighborhood seem alive.

Personally, I don't care what color your home is, or what you plant in your yard. I do not care if you drive a truck, a sports car or a motorcycle. Lawn mowing does not bother me. If you wish to smoke a cigar on your lanai, go for it because it doesn't bother me a bit. Smoke some Mary Jane if you wish, because a mellow neighbor is a peaceful neighbor.

We are on the downside of our expiration date with life and if you(all in general) can't enjoy it and leave others to enjoy how they wish to finish theirs, then you(not anyone in particular) are being pretty selfish. Try being a good neighbor and lend a hand when you can. Not only does it make them feel good, but it is also rewarding to your own disposition.

I've always kinda wanted a dark colored home and if I did purchase one, worrying about my power bill would not be much of a consideration. Worrying about having to repaint it in 10 or 15 years would be left to those that wish to be critical, not me. Stucco homes need to be painted every few years too. Try going fifteen years without patching cracks and painting a stucco house.

No matter what one does, there will always be someone that will disparage his/her choice.....in this free country.

This is me ENJOYING life. Even the rain every few minutes today. Because right after each rain, it's been bursting with sunshine and the contrast is amazing.

Last edited by MDLNB; 03-09-2022 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Conformity had nothing to do with my moving here. I moved here so that my wife could have a social life and not find herself sitting on the porch watching everyone go off to work or school every morning. I moved here because there is always someone home in the neighborhood to act as a form of security, lend assistance when someone needs it and just there to make the neighborhood seem alive.

Personally, I don't care what color your home is, or what you plant in your yard. I do not care if you drive a truck, a sports car or a motorcycle. Lawn mowing does not bother me. If you wish to smoke a cigar on your lanai, go for it because it doesn't bother me a bit. Smoke some Mary Jane if you wish, because a mellow neighbor is a peaceful neighbor.

We are on the downside of our expiration date with life and if you(all in general) can't enjoy it and leave others to enjoy how they wish to finish theirs, then you(not anyone in particular) are being pretty selfish. Try being a good neighbor and lend a hand when you can. Not only does it make them feel good, but it is also rewarding to your own disposition.

I've always kinda wanted a dark colored home and if I did purchase one, worrying about my power bill would not be much of a consideration. Worrying about having to repaint it in 10 or 15 years would be left to those that wish to be critical, not me. Stucco homes need to be painted every few years too. Try going fifteen years without patching cracks and painting a stucco house.

No matter what one does, there will always be someone that will disparage his/her choice.....in this free country.

This is me ENJOYING life. Even the rain every few minutes today. Because right after each rain, it's been bursting with sunshine and the contrast is amazing.
Wow….someone with some common sense and a kind and loving heart and also a great attitude on how we should live our lives in our ‘golden’ years! Thank you for being so reasonable! I love this post!! 😀
Old 03-12-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post

Love this post! Someone using some common sense and having a great outlook on how to live your ‘retirement’ part of your life!! Thank you!! (Owner of a non-light colored painted house and our house looks awesome!) #BeWell
Old 03-12-2022, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,662 Times in 1,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevEnglish View Post
Just wait and see how much they fade in 10-15 years!
"10-15 years" is wishful thinking for some of the folks in the Villages. Stucco homes need to be maintained more often than that.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:45 PM

Very entertaining! Thanks for the laugh.
Closed Thread

Tags
dark, painted, homes, villages, colors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.