'Ding Dong' ice cream vehicles at TV?

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sweetie, who is the person in our family who brings home the sweet goodies, found a box of 30 Good Humor ice creams at the Meijer store here in Ohio.

It had 10 cones, 10 sandwiches and 10 ice cream bars. It didn't take long for the three of us to polish them off.

I don't believe I have ever had Good Humor brand before and it was VERY good. Is Good Humor an East Coast thing???
Old 08-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sweetie, who is the person in our family who brings home the sweet goodies, found a box of 30 Good Humor ice creams at the Meijer store here in Ohio.

It had 10 cones, 10 sandwiches and 10 ice cream bars. It didn't take long for the three of us to polish them off.

I don't believe I have ever had Good Humor brand before and it was VERY good. Is Good Humor an East Coast thing???
Started in your back yard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Humor

They had big distribution facilities in New York. There were trucks in all five boroughs. Had the concessions out the Brooklyn beaches. I mentioned I worked for them 45 years ago getting 15% commission on a $0.15 ice cream bar! Best day I had sold over $200 as I hit a camp spending a day at the beach. Those were the days. I wonder if they still make the super humor a chocolate candy bar inside of the vanilla ice cream bar covered in chocolate. That was a quarter.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:04 PM

An ice cream truck in The Villages may not be profitable. but wouldn't it be nice to have a truck deliver bread and milk and other "run out to the store" items along with prepared entrees just like we get in Publix deli? I know I myself could keep them in business

Last edited by gadaboutgal; 08-19-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Veteran member
Default 'Ring-ring' goes my ice cream-packed golf cart

OK, I guess the "paid-for" Ding Dong ice cream truck idea at TV is out. Not enough customers, or the Village Police will throw me in the clink for TV solicitation. OK, OK...I get the message <g>.

So, I guess I'll just have to be Mr. Nice Guy, don my Ding Dong cap, and deliver "free ice cream" in an iced chest on the back of my golf cart.

Don't worry. I won't approach with strong music, or a loud DING DONG sound. I'll just quietly press a little 'ring-ring' buzzer on my steering wheel. I'll betcha Gracie comes flying out of her house to be my first customer. How will she recognize me? Because, as I said, I'll be donning my Ding Dong cap.

Spirited Gene
Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 AM
Platinum member

If nothing else, Gene, your original post did draw attention. I may have been one of the strongest fighters against your suggestion but since you'll be delivering free ice cream in silence, I'll place my order now for a double scoop of Vanilla Fudge with hot choclate and sprinkles. Don't tell the IRS but I may toss you a few $$$ as a tip.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Sprinkles are 'extra'

Tom,

The ice cream is free. The sprinkles are extra <g>.

'ring-ring' from my Ding Dong cart,

Gene
Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Sage

Quote:

We had Good Humor Trucks in the Chgo burbs in the 50's & 60's.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Once upon a time in our NY suburb the Good Humor truck came to our neighborhood but not near enough for our children.
Somehow my husband persuaded him to make a biweekly run to our house when we would buy a box of Toasted Almond and a box of whatever the kids fancied that week. He did it for years.
P.S. At that time we got milk delivery. Those were the days
Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Gold member

As a kid in the NY 'burbs, we had an ice cream man, milkman, bread man, laundry man, all making home delivery. That's going back a few years, <G>. I remember as a little guy the bread man teaching me to carry a loaf of bread without squashing it or a pie without sticking my thumb through the top crust. Truly a simpler, easier time to live.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:09 AM

Don't forget the Dugan man who delivered the fresh chocolate coverred donuts
Old 08-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

does anyone remember "chow chow cup"?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Don't forget the Dugan man who delivered the fresh chocolate coverred donuts
Yikes!! You reminded me of something I haven't thought about in over 50 years. I was about 11 years old (in Jamaica, NY) when we got a Dugan pie. It had a juicy dead fly laying on top of it. Unfortunately my little brother made up a rhyme "Buy Dugan pies because they have flies." I had to hear that bit of poetry every time the Dugan truck went by for months.
I'm sure if I called him right now and recited the first line he'd finish it for me.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt. View Post
Yikes!! You reminded me of something I haven't thought about in over 50 years. I was about 11 years old (in Jamaica, NY) when we got a Dugan pie. It had a juicy dead fly laying on top of it. Unfortunately my little brother made up a rhyme "Buy Dugan pies because they have flies." I had to hear that bit of poetry every time the Dugan truck went by for months.
I'm sure if I called him right now and recited the first line he'd finish it for me.
Yuck.

What is a Dugan pie? Did they come with and without flies?

How about chow chow cup?. Do I want to know???

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-21-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Yuck.

What is a Dugan pie? Did they come with and without flies?
Dugan was the company. They had trucks that came around and you could buy bread and other baked goods. I don't remember if they had anything else (this was back in mid '50s). I think the fly was free.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Platinum member
Default Yummy Man

Gracie, don't you remember the ching, ching bicycle bell? LOL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.