Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Sage
Default Re: EVERYBODY SEEMS TO LOVE THE VILLAGES, i WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HATE BES

Cliff,

I hear you about the high fees at Palmer BUT...

Back here in MA I pay anywhere from $60 to $95 per round (with cart) on the weekend. Sure there are many others that might be around $45 to $50 but they are not the quality of the TV courses. Also Palmer is much higher than the other courses at TV. But i do hear you! Prices for golf are something i have to consider before moving to TV but it won't stop me!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: EVERYBODY SEEMS TO LOVE THE VILLAGES, i WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HATE BESIDE

Tell you wife the humidity will be very good for her skin.
If she is really uncomfortable in the summer, stay in the house just as you would stay in the house in the winter in Minnesota. It really isn't that bad. Also, breathing humid air is much better than breathing dry air. You won't wake up with a dry air sore throat.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: EVERYBODY SEEMS TO LOVE THE VILLAGES, i WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HATE BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff
I've read all the comments from people who think TV is paradise and I wonder why they respond to a subject that requests to hear any negative comments. We have been here for 6+ years. We have noticed that each new neighborhood that is built is constructed using the knowledge learned from the prior neighborhood. The older parts of TV have narrow streets and the newer neighborhoods are much wider and safer to drive on. The newer neighborhoods have more posted street signs and thought has been given to what speeds would be considered appropriate. A lot of people think that going to the town centers in the evenings with their pets in tow is fun. If you like to have dogs urinating on chairs, tables, people's legs, and if you enjoy being bumped around by intoxicated lugs holding a glass of beer in each hand - then you will be happy here. I have a puppy and we love him dearly. However, I would never take him to the town squares because he has no place there. Why impose on other people? The newer neighborhoods South of 466 are, indeed, more appropriate for the younger retirees coming to TV. They appear to have more money to spend (houses are much more expensive South of 466) and enjoy partying more than most of us older folks. Some of us who have been here for a while have feelings that the Developer is greedy. That is because we bought when advertising said you could play a championship course for a dollar a hole. Now it costs $54 to play 18 at the Palmer course. No problems getting a tee time there because few want to pay the higher price which has no place in a retirement community. Yet, the prices are not lowered even though they would get more players if the prices were adjusted. Doesn't seem to make much sense. Yes, there are negative things about TV. Few want to mention them because TV is, indeed, much better than most retirement communities. Not politically correct to be negative here. Just learn to smile and move aside when the newer residents want to pass you with their 20K golf carts. You would never hear any of them complain about the prices of golf in TV. Better quit my negative thoughts before I start talking about the Priority Golf system.

Green fees have skyrocketed while retirees incomes have not. $54 for 18 holes of golf is certainly outside my range. For that amount one should be able to play at least two rounds.I guess it means that for those that cannot or will not pay those rates, you either play elsewhere in the Villages or even outside the Villages and that is not the reason people move here; to play courses outside the community. There is always the Executive courses if you can get on them in the winter months.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: EVERYBODY SEEMS TO LOVE THE VILLAGES, i WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HATE BESIDE

bump its been a while
Wanabee future TVer
Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Sage

schotzyb - I love how some people on this site exagerate to make a point.

I just looked at the newly published green fees for the fall and winter and you can play on the lowest price championship courses for around $30 in the fall and around $40 in the winter. Still not cheap but not $54.

In fact the only course for a resident that is over $50 is Palmer during the Winter season.

New fees here: http://www.golfthevillages.com/tee-t...s-winter08.asp

Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM

greatest place in the world to retire

darrell
Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Veteran member

bump
Wanabee future TVer
Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Hmmmm, let me think. I know, it's the wildlife on the golf courses that interupt concentration on my high handicap golf game.

When I stop my cart and and get ready to walk to the tee, those crazy monkey squirrels will hop into the cart next to me and rummage through the cubby looking for a snack. Than there was the episode at Cane Garden when my wife saw the cutest little pig in the fairway next to the rough. She started to walk toward it until I told her it was a baby boar and mama, who had to be nearby, probably wouldn't appreciate it. How about those big, beautiful sand hill cranes that will invariably strut in front of you as you play those spectacular lakeside holes at Palmer. You have to wait and admire them as it totally throws your rhythm off. Of course there's that cute baby alligator that occasionally crosses a fairway headed for the pond. The others in your foursome drop their clubs and grab their cameras. Triple bogie that hole. As if that isn't enough distraction, you have to look out for mama and papa when you retrieve the ball you just shanked next to the water.

If only I could train one of those monkey squirrels to retrieve my ball, or, ahem, the occasional errant ball that goes into the rough or out of bounds. If they would just drop it where it left the fairway. That wouldn't be considered a penalty, would it?

Well, there you have it. Our little secret. A walking wildlife tour of our golf courses. I mean, do Tiger or Phil have to deal with these distractions?

Old 10-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Platinum member

I hate having to put the :edit: that we've accumulated over the years out for a garage sale. And it's because of TV that I'm doing this. It's definitely better than moving it to TV but.... Look out next week trash at the curb if it doesn't sell. Anyone wanna buy 1,218 episodes of Guiding Light? That's what I thought. (See 4th sentence)

Steve
Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Veteran member

Cabo, Thanks for a fresh round of reasons. I've blamed my lumbar disks, toothaches, planes flying over, phones ringing, wet fairways, etc.etc.etc. I hadn't thought of the wildlife.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB
I hate having to put the :edit: that we've accumulated over the years out for a garage sale. And it's because of TV that I'm doing this. It's definitely better than moving it to TV but.... Look out next week trash at the curb if it doesn't sell. Anyone wanna buy 1,218 episodes of Guiding Light? That's what I thought. (See 4th sentence)

Steve
After the yard sale, you have a 1/2 price yard sale with a free table for those things you want to get rid of but don't want to throw away. Then you put it all by the curb and the yard sale ghouls who know you would do that will go through what you tossed and take what ever they want.

I made trips to the local charities and veteran clothes bins and the goodwill stores to get rid of some of the stuff. Then friends and the dump and finally the garbage.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:50 PM

The one thing i dont like is, the rude people that allow there pet, to use my yard as there potty, there is one man in particular, that i have asked nicely, please dont let your dog use the yard as his potty, the man will walk his dog, everyday now, past my house, and let his dog do his business in my yard. I have even stood in my driveway, when i see him coming, and he will stare right at me, and still let his dog still use my yard for his potty, I am sure that he signed the same village agreement we did, and that is to curb your pet, any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2007, 05:03 PM

th6095

If that was my property I would spray him and the dog with pepper spray and if he was stupid enough to call the police I would say he attacked you when you confronted him about the dog going on your property. Or I would just knock him on his A_ _. Have a nice day....
Old 10-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Eternal Member

I have told several dog walkers to not use my yard as it confuses my dog when he goes out. Most of them walk on the other side of the street now. I would not be averse to bringing out my hose and squirting their dog if they do not listen. I would not care what the cops say when they come over. Oops officer I was watering my lawn when I did not see the little varmint messing in my yard. Must have been an accident.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Sage

Why don't you collect the evidence, follow him home, and give it to his wife? Bet you won't see him again. Or follow him home, get his address and report him to the Villages Dog Poop Police. ;D

Don't spray the dog with water or pepper spray .. the dog isn't the one being rude and stupid .. but definitely the owner is being a total jerk. And giving other dog owners a bad name, I hate that.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.