Gas vs Electric cooking.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Convection hobs heat up and cool down far quicker than either gas or conventional electric hobs.
No contest.
I think you mean induction
Old 04-28-2024, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

We have also had both in many houses. We put in a nice glass top electric which looks very cool, worked ok but a pain to keep looking good. We’ve also tried the induction stove where you needed special pans. It was ok but the requirement for special pans. Gas stoves are best for us. The cheaper ranges that TV builders put in the new homes are terrible. Too small burners for larger pans. We replaced our new ge gas range after we bought with the top of the line gas range with the large dual burner for big pots, and 3 other size burners. We also have a large burner in the middle for the large griddle. The stove is also gas. Plus many cooking modes like the air fryer which we use a lot.
Another benefit is I can control this range from my phone, it’s hooked up to my wifi network. I know which burners are on (knobs have a blue ring around them that lights up when on too, so you have 2 ways of knowing if your range is being used), what temp the oven is set at, get alerts the oven hit its desired temp, adjust the temp, etc..
Old 04-28-2024, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Do you really believe that TV is paying an electrician the same $800 that an individual homeowner pays?

Remember, they have these people on contract, installing thousands of outlets, light fixtures, running electric lines etc, etc, etc...

It's not a cost cutting measure...
You are correct. it is not a cost cutting measure. We just built a house in a section of The Villages that has both gas and electric. At the Design Center, we chose an electric range/oven and a gas clothes dryer.

When they built our house, in the kitchen (although they provided the electric range/oven that we selected), they also installed a gas hookup (at no additional charge to us) in case we decided to go with gas in the future, or the next homeowner wanted gas. Same with the dryer in the laundry room where an electric outlet was installed (at no additional charge to us) along with the gas hookup to accommodate the gas dryer that we selected.

For new builds where the buyer specifies their choice of appliances at the Design Center, I think it might be easier for them to install both gas and electric and then provide whichever appliance the homeowner selects. I don't know if that holds true with spec houses. Maybe someone who recently bought a spec house can confirm.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:15 AM

While I have an induction range top here, it doesn’t compare to the gas range top we had up north. On the other hand, we like our convection ovens much more than our gas ovens. Perhaps if we had a higher quality induction range top, I would like it better.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 04-28-2024, 07:18 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,353 Posts

I grew up with Grandma's wood stove. The food was great. Nobody cares about the health problems from the smoke.

My other Grandma used gas and the food was great. Her kitchen smelled like gas.

Mom had electric but her's smelled like Morton's Fried Chicken tv dinners.

I have gas and electric, but mine smells like takeout.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:28 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,075 Times in 538 Posts

I have my first ever electric stove now, after a lifetime of gas.... and I miss gas. Whenever I would redo kitchens I would put in a gas stove with an electric oven, which to me is the best. Dual fuel. I grew up in NYC, in Manhattan, and I think everyone had natural gas.... as Orange Blossom Baby said, you turn it off and it's off...... and gives the chef more control of how much heat you get. That said, the way older neighborhoods have been blowing up because of failing gas lines, I would only want propane.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:31 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,567 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Several thread currently exist with a theme about gas ranges and ovens.
Got me thinking. What do you like better?

I grew up with and only experienced gas ovens for about 50 years. Then, with great trepidation we bought an electric range. After using it for about ten years, I don't see any advantage to gas, and several disadvantages. Namely, dirty pots, difficulty moving the device for cleaning, etc., the (okay, rare) possibility of explosions (a home 1/2 mile from blew up three days ago!)

I would like to hear other people's opinions. G vs E. (But I'm most interested in feedback from people, like me, who have used both. I prefer E.)
Its all a matter of preference. Gas is easier to control and shut off the heat. Electric looks nicer and also cooks well. I prefer gas
Old 04-28-2024, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

I like gas. Electric is just ok, but in the rare instance when the electricity goes out, you'll find that the gas still works.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:45 AM
Default I Want my Old gas range Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Several thread currently exist with a theme about gas ranges and ovens.
Got me thinking. What do you like better?

I grew up with and only experienced gas ovens for about 50 years. Then, with great trepidation we bought an electric range. After using it for about ten years, I don't see any advantage to gas, and several disadvantages. Namely, dirty pots, difficulty moving the device for cleaning, etc., the (okay, rare) possibility of explosions (a home 1/2 mile from blew up three days ago!)

I would like to hear other people's opinions. G vs E. (But I'm most interested in feedback from people, like me, who have used both. I prefer E.)
If i could turn back time. I'd find a new home with gas range, gas dryer, gas heat. And indoors laundry room.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Induction is better than and out performs anything. However, only if you do not go cheap. You need to buy Bosch in order to have the power, the size ("coil" size UNDER the glass which you can not see with your eyes), and dependability. You also must own high-quality pots and pans where a magnet will stick to the bottom. All of this gets expensive, but the cooking experience is night and day.
Personally, I gotta disagree. I do have a Bosch induction, and while it is far better than electric, it is still not the live flame, precise control, instant even temperature way to cook. Especially roasting the peppers (yes thanks Coffeebean, we do that also) and toasting tortillas. Induction might be fine for the French or gringos or whomever fancies themselves Chefs (Cheves?), but not for us
Old 04-28-2024, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensor17 View Post
If i could turn back time. I'd find a new home with gas range, gas dryer, gas heat. And indoors laundry room.
We just throw ours out on the front porch like our neighbors up there in Appalachia. The ol' Ford is over there in the side yard and our bathtub planter is right out front.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,212 Times in 765 Posts

Gas, you can still cook when the power goes out.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,482 Posts

All this talk about cooking in kitchen in villages? I thought majority eat out in villages?
Old 04-28-2024, 08:58 AM

Sounds like Ford versus Chevy !
Old 04-28-2024, 09:00 AM

I have cooked on an electric smooth top stove for almost 50 years. My mother used gas and I didn't like them mainly because I am short and "full figured" on top. Leaning over the front burners to stir in the back was a trick, believe me. Bought my first smooth top in 1974 from Sears when we got married. I learned all the quirks but it was no big deal. Boiling eggs was easy as I would just bring them to a rolling boil, turn off the heat and let them sit for 15-20 minutes. We had others through out the years. 9 years ago we bought an induction stove and I would never go back to anything else. It adjusts up and down just like gas, and cooks evenly without anything sticking to the top if it splashes out.....I am a messy cook. Just wipe it down and it's clean. It also gives me extra working space. Of course I had to change my egg boiling routine, so I bought an egg cooker. My daughter has a gas stove and to help her sometimes I clean it for her....what a royal pain!!

As far as pans, you do not need super expensive pans! I already had a set of QVC Cook's Essential that had a thick base when we bought the induction stove and they worked perfectly. I think I paid about $125 for the whole set 16 years ago. I am now gradually replacing them with LeCreuset pan by pan and they also work beautifully. That just my gift to me with hubby's blessing. Really lightweight thin metal pans that warp easily are probably aluminum and those don't work. If a magnet clings to the bottom of your pan, it will work. Hope this helps!

Tags
gas, years, electric, ovens, explosions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.