Golf cart stolen

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2022, 06:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,734 Times in 988 Posts

Thanks for the warning. I had some driveway work done last Spring and left two carts out overnight on the street, and I got lucky, but your post is a good warning not to rely on luck. I like the Apple AirTag idea, and they only cost $29, or 4 for $99, but while that may help to catch a thief, avoiding theft in the first place would be a lot less hassle.
Here is a YouTube link to a video on how to replace the ignition switch on a Yamaha. I expect most carts would be similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn5pH7DWtWk

The next challenge would be to find an ignition switch that would have a more unique key, rather than simply switching it out with another OEM ignition.

Last edited by Laker14; 08-01-2022 at 06:31 AM. Reason: forgot to add the link
Old 08-01-2022, 06:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,734 Times in 988 Posts

Here's a link to a unique key ignition switch for Yamaha on Amazon.
Amazon.com

$70...maybe Villagetinker could provide a source for a cheaper solution.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:59 AM

So sorry to hear this happened to you Jimbo.
It shows that bad guys are out lurking, to see what they can steal from us, even here in TV.

I once attended a meeting with police who stated that criminals are paranoid. When there are indications that they will get caught, they usually keep moving.

Motion detector spotlights? Cameras? Ring Doorbell?
Old 08-01-2022, 07:14 AM
Gold member

I remember when they decided they were going to build south of 466A the concern people had for their safety in that area being so close to Wildwood. Remember, where you are.

Shouldn't leave your golf cart in a driveway unless you can block it in between a car and your house. Just too easy to steal. As far as I know, all EZ-GO carts come with the same key.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,361 Posts

My ring camera would have got a good picture...hopefully.... So sorry people just don't care anymore. No fear of being caught.
Sad world.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:37 AM
Default ezgo

Any one that would steal a EZGO needs professional help
Old 08-01-2022, 08:03 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,449 Times in 1,482 Posts

What is the problem with being close to Wildwood, it is much different than being close to Lady Lake or Fruitland Park. There is crime everywhere in Florida and most of the "reported" crimes within TV appear to be in the historic section far from Wildwood.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,439 Times in 2,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Good move on the unique key. I think I have attained the same amount of security by installing a hidden kill switch. Do you agree? (I value your opinion).
The dealer put in a kill switch, but I figured the thieves would know where these are located, which is why i went with the replacement key switch. If you have a truly unusual location for your kill switch this should slow them down.

I have also installed a few alarms for golf carts (search for motorcycle alarms), including one that was 2 way. On this type the remote can receive a signal when the alarm is tripped.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,573 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
What is the problem with being close to Wildwood, it is much different than being close to Lady Lake or Fruitland Park. There is crime everywhere in Florida and most of the "reported" crimes within TV appear to be in the historic section far from Wildwood.
Nothing wrong being close to Wildwood; just another person typing before thinking.

Anyway, we’ve never heard if the keys were left in the cart stolen, have we?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
Professional golf cart thieves use flatbed tow trucks to steal your cart. They even have those tow trucks that the driver doesn't have to get out of the truck. He uses a remote to slide a mechanical metal bar under your tires and away they go. It can be stolen in less than a minute.
There is a real shortage on golf cart parts so I expect many more carts to be stolen.
Has anyone tried a motion bike alarm? We are expecting our new cart in September and I would like to be pro active.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker View Post
Please don’t slant the thievery against our wonderful guys that work for the garbage company
He wasn't. I assume his joke was that, given the specific cart, the guys from Waste Management picked it up as trash.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,366 Times in 625 Posts

Check your neighbors (and even those that aren't your neighbors) to see if they have any security cameras.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
No trash pickup on Sunday so, that theory is eliminated.

(Sorry Jim had to do it )
Hope your cart is found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Eichaker View Post
Please don’t slant the thievery against our wonderful guys that work for the garbage company
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine Dickinson View Post
He wasn't. I assume his joke was that, given the specific cart, the guys from Waste Management picked it up as trash.
My post was in reference to the thread where a chair came up missing. With over 25 posts a number of theories were offered…….least of which “if it’s out front somebody will take and close to the curb to the trash truck”.
I too respect the “trash guys” even this morning gave the 3 man crew each a cold bottle of water.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:51 AM
Default Add an Alarm!

You can add an alarm and cut off switch for about $225... and put an alarm warning sticker on the dash. The cart will not move.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The dealer put in a kill switch, but I figured the thieves would know where these are located, which is why i went with the replacement key switch. If you have a truly unusual location for your kill switch this should slow them down.

I have also installed a few alarms for golf carts (search for motorcycle alarms), including one that was 2 way. On this type the remote can receive a signal when the alarm is tripped.
Good thinking, once again. I'm hoping that, (first of all our cart is not new), and if they try to steal it is using another key, which will not work if the kill switch is on, they will quickly move onto another target. But really, who knows? Thanks for the information.
Closed Thread

Tags
driveway, golf, ser#, odd, police

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.