Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 10-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
What is a telephone answering machine?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Totally off topic. . . in the early 1980's when I got my first apartment near Loyola University's campus in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago, my 3 roommates and I got an answering machine from Sears. Answering machines were still relatively new. Our ans. machine had a pre-recorded generic outgoing message in a man's voice, something like "We can't take your call right now; please leave a message." A few days after we get the ans. machine, my mother calls. The ans. machine turns on in the man's voice with the pre-recorded generic outgoing message.

Then I hear my mother on the other end saying "I knew those girls had a man living in that apartment." Click and my mother hangs up the phone. My roommates and I had a good laugh over my mom's reaction to the answering machine.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 AM

Get seatbelts in your golf cart. Saves lives.

For furniture, check out Bargains and Treasures and Nearly New. They are very reasonable and they deliver. We purchased a beautiful Cherry Wood China Cabinet and three beautiful cherry wood bookcases at a very, very reasonable price. We were lucky when we arrived there and it was almost like they were waiting for us. We got lucky. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:52 AM

I like Kelly McKnight, DDS in Laurel Manor for a dentist.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Smile

Great Advice, we've had several "door pounder's"once we moved in over a year ago. We were kind, but decided to wait before return visits and estimates for any services; especially LAWN CARE. We decided, to go with our neighbors provider; Fertigator Lawn Care. BEST. DECISION. EVER. We heard horror stories of companies taking advantage of the residents here, so we didn't prepay for our first year. We have NO COMPLAINTS. Everything is completed with ONE company (we chose the total care option). We've lived in Florida for over 20 years (West Palm), and our lawn has NEVER looked better. This year we did prepay for services, and have not been let down with the quality of service we have received. They even take care of our Termite control now. I've read several threads with former customers from some of the other companies that, in fact, did knock on our door, needless to say we are happy that we didn't make a quick decision from a fast talking salesman. We spoke with our neighbors, and made an excellent choice. Take your time, use your resources. It will all come together.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:24 PM

Sounds like all great advice, we brought our master bedroom but bought the rest down here, had unfortunate dealings with City Furniture and the quality if the furniture is not very good. Had my first door knocker today (landscaper) so far no phone calls
Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Yes, delima2000 is right! They are not from welcome wagon and want to sell you things you don't need. Also there are two transports to the airport. The Villages Van will pick you up at your house. The Villages Transportation will not. The Villages Transportation does not honor their prepaid orders. I personally had them increase the cost of my transportation by $26 in the airport parking lot before they would bring me back.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:32 PM

My wife and I just moved here permanently this past October. Talking to your neighbors is good advice. A lot of quality contractors rely on word of mouth. Also check the forums for the near do wells and rip off artists. Here are the ones I found and would recommend (I live in Springdale). Ben Sykes electrician 352-267-1766. Sprinkler James Baumgartner 352-504-2317, Landscaping used Michael at Landsculpture (Curbing All American), I ordered a garage screen from Michele's Hideway waiting to install but seem nice husband and wife team, Blinds for Less just installed came out great, The Villages Insurance
Old 01-22-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
Agree with don't ever pay up front, especially landscapers. One of my favorite improvements was the solar tubes in the dark area's of our home'

"solar tubes in the dark area's of our home' "

Are these the same/similar to skylights?
Old 01-22-2018, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9 View Post
"solar tubes in the dark area's of our home' "
Are these the same/similar to skylights?
Better.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:41 AM

We are about to move to a "new to us" house in The Villages ... who was your village builder?
Old 03-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
If you see someone walking with ski poles it's safe to assume they live in the north end of town. The south end of town doesn't get any snow.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:10 AM

I find getting several quotes from different company and contractors for everything to get done as the prices do vary quite a bit..we got a price for gutters and got a really high price and a really low price with two fairly middle 0f the road . ask whats included in each quote and get all in writing! then make a decision
Old 03-26-2018, 05:48 AM

Aspen Dental did the same “ Deep Cleaning” to me. Stay away
Old 03-26-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myluckyday View Post
I find getting several quotes from different company and contractors for everything to get done as the prices do vary quite a bit..we got a price for gutters and got a really high price and a really low price with two fairly middle 0f the road . ask whats included in each quote and get all in writing! then make a decision
Would like to know the firm that gave the low price. Please message me the info if you do not want to post.

Thank you
Old 03-26-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Contrary to some advice, we came down to TV just to "look" and found the perfect home with all the extras we were looking for, including a pool!. We had an offer accepted before we flew back north on Sunday. I'm sure this is not the typical senerio, but are thrilled and close the 1st week of Sept and will be moving just after the holidays. Can't wait!
Rent for a YEAR to see if you can tolerate the heat and humidity from April to October or November.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.