How far does turnpike noise travel?

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2022, 08:11 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post

Few places in the Villages are free from traffic nose.
Really? C’mon.

We were golfing at Marshview yesterday about 11am. A few times easily heard semi trucks slowing with that long growl, probably going into okahumka rest stop.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m returning for my second lifestyle visit in a few weeks, after just getting back from my first. Interested in a new build. Liked DeLuna, but not the homes right next to turnpike (too noisy). Those in the southern part of DeLuna seem to be far enough from turnpike noise. Looking to buy around October, and DeLuna may be sold out by then, which will put me looking at Richmond. Great location, but many lots close to turnpike. Question - I don’t mind a distant hum of noise, but how far away from turnpike should I be so I don’t hear much noise?
As a kid we had the elevated subway just below my bedroom window. Training? Nothing keeps me up. You need to make your own decision. Surely there are charts for typical highway decibels as well as rate of sound fall off.

We do not have it-FORTUNATELY. A neighbor with a band, a neighbor who thinks everyone wants to hear his radio, a motorcycle, etc.

If, noise bothers you I would purchase block stucco construction and get double thick glass in your windows-not two pane glass, the glass is actually thicker.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:48 AM
Gold member

I think more of a concern then traffic noise is the distance you'll have to drive to do shopping, etc. That area will take years to get up to speed compared to the northern area.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m returning for my second lifestyle visit in a few weeks, after just getting back from my first. Interested in a new build. Liked DeLuna, but not the homes right next to turnpike (too noisy). Those in the southern part of DeLuna seem to be far enough from turnpike noise. Looking to buy around October, and DeLuna may be sold out by then, which will put me looking at Richmond. Great location, but many lots close to turnpike. Question - I don’t mind a distant hum of noise, but how far away from turnpike should I be so I don’t hear much noise?
How does highway sound travel?

But because noise travels in waves, not straight lines, sounds can and do go over the walls. This is why even with barriers standing 16 feet, homes several blocks away can hear the highway. Part of the sound wave is absorbed, part is reflected away from the wall, and part is transmitted through, Berrios explained
Weather can bend highway noise — right to you
The right temperatures and wind conditions can bend highway noise like a prism bends light, thwarting roadside sound barriers and plopping sounds as loud as a vacuum cleaner into the yards of residents more than a quarter of a mile away.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:46 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

If all the people near the turnpike think it's too noisy they could go just a little east to Orlando.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
If all the people near the turnpike think it's too noisy they could go just a little east to Orlando.
Or just find a home further from the noise
Old 08-01-2022, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Dissipates substantially if there are 3 or more homes between you and the noise source.

Few places in the Villages are free from traffic nose.
I do not have any constant hum of traffic noise at all and I'm located in Mallory Square. The Turnpike is far, far, far, far away from our home. This is a fantastic location and is two traffic circles away from Lake Sumter Landing Town Square.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We live about halfway between 466A and 44. It’s very quite here but still close to everything.
Depends, need to be careful everywhere.

I rented a villa in Pine Ridge that backed to 466A and the noise was unbearable during the day.

Especially the un-muffled billy bob pick up trucks drag racing from the stop light on their way to work at 5am...

You could not talk on the phone from there lanai.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Depends, need to be careful everywhere.

I rented a villa in Pine Ridge that backed to 466A and the noise was unbearable during the day.

Especially the un-muffled billy bob pick up trucks drag racing from the stop light on their way to work at 5am...

You could not talk on the phone from there lanai.
So, where is your Eden?
Old 08-01-2022, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

There are houses built along the side of freeways, highways and turnpikes all across this country. It’s amazing how big a deal it is here. Just figure out what your noise tolerance is and find a neighborhood that falls within it.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-01-2022, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
There are houses built along the side of freeways, highways and turnpikes all across this country. It’s amazing how big a deal it is here. Just figure out what your noise tolerance is and find a neighborhood that falls within it.
It might be a big deal there as well. I wouldn't know unless I joined the "Talk of the ________(fill in the blank)" forum.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Amazing how many people buy here without investigating the noise factor
Old 08-01-2022, 12:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, Any lot or house south of 44, currently available
Obviously this is patently false. Fenney is over three miles from the turnpike. There is no TP noise in Fenney.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I would spend some time there at various times of the day and do this over a period of time.

Lots of places to live here
Wind direction is the biggest factor. If wind blowing away from home, no problem.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

There's a video on Youtube from a Villager who got a decibel meter and checked numerous locations in the Villages near the turnpike. Worth watching.
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, noise, deluna, don’t, october

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.