How far does turnpike noise travel?

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2022, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
There's a video on Youtube from a Villager who got a decibel meter and checked numerous locations in the Villages near the turnpike. Worth watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u13pDK9-3eM&t=401s
Old 08-01-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Wind direction is the biggest factor. If wind blowing away from home, no problem.
I rented a place in Citrus Grove about a mile from the TP last April. Noise was at the top of my list of things to investigate before I purchase a home. Pickle ball court noise as well as TP noise.

Wind direction is definitely a factor but what I found a mile from the TP was that the noise was not noticeable during the day. The master bedroom faced the TP and late at night I could usually hear the hum of the TP through closed windows. It was pretty faint though. Nothing that would keep me from sleeping. I made a point of checking the front bedroom and I couldn't hear the TP at all from there.

TP Noise would not keep me from purchasing in that location. Even with the proposed TP expansion.

My villages sales rep was aware that TP noise was a concern for me so he showed me a house that was really close to the TP so I could get an idea of what that noise level was. It was noisy. And visually a problem too. While standing outside I could see the tops of 18 wheelers going by over the fence at the end of the street. No way would I buy a house that close.

My impression of Pickle Ball noise was that while extremely annoying up close it didn't seem to carry very far.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:38 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

EGG CARTONS … very popular in the South Villages
Old 08-01-2022, 10:07 PM

If you can see the turnpike, it will always be very loud.
If you can go 5 streets away from there, it will always still be loud.
If you can go a village away, you will still hear it. Wind speed and direction will make it as loud as being on the shoulder of the road, or not audible at all.
There are new villages south, further from turnpike, but with other issues to consider. Far away from shopping, or only one store of some types (such as grocery), and no big box stores. Far from golf cart access paths to amenities north of the turnpike. Far from doctor offices. Far from gas stations.
Good luck with your search.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Noise in the villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m returning for my second lifestyle visit in a few weeks, after just getting back from my first. Interested in a new build. Liked DeLuna, but not the homes right next to turnpike (too noisy). Those in the southern part of DeLuna seem to be far enough from turnpike noise. Looking to buy around October, and DeLuna may be sold out by then, which will put me looking at Richmond. Great location, but many lots close to turnpike. Question - I don’t mind a distant hum of noise, but how far away from turnpike should I be so I don’t hear much noise?
There are significant natural, traffic issues or noise problems for most living anywhere in The Villages. You could have a home on Morris where cars zoom by day and night, or you could live directly on Buena Vista with the same issues. These roads run north to south through the old and the new, and visa versa. I suggest you locate an area you like and isolate or “pad” yourself from your largest concerns, whether it is golf balls, alligators or traffic hum. Then go from there for your dream home. Truly it’s a balancing act of what you want for location and daily amenities verses personal nuisances.

PS. Meggison could be like El Camino in the coming year. It is something you should consider for the newer areas.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 08-02-2022 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:53 AM

Do not be misinformed. I live in a neighborhood that is 1/4 mile from the turnpike. The noise travels at times and OFTEN, easily 1/4 mile out. At times you can not hear it whatsoever, at times it is medium, at times it is VERY loud. This changes even within hours of the same day. 3 houses buffer is a lie. You need to decide if the noise bothers YOU and if it does stay at least 1/4 mile away and even then at times you will hear it even inside your house.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:22 AM
Platinum member
Default Hear ye, hear ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael 61 View Post
i’m returning for my second lifestyle visit in a few weeks, after just getting back from my first. Interested in a new build. Liked deluna, but not the homes right next to turnpike (too noisy). Those in the southern part of deluna seem to be far enough from turnpike noise. Looking to buy around october, and deluna may be sold out by then, which will put me looking at richmond. Great location, but many lots close to turnpike. Question - i don’t mind a distant hum of noise, but how far away from turnpike should i be so i don’t hear much noise?
posters have given you great answers.
But
beware the pickleball monster.
Also in fifteen years or so when the new roofs are going up you
will awaken every morning to the machine gun hammers from dawn to dusk
Old 08-02-2022, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

The noise is not good in most of these areas. Way too close to the turnpike. Wait for development much further south of the turnpike.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m returning for my second lifestyle visit in a few weeks, after just getting back from my first. Interested in a new build. Liked DeLuna, but not the homes right next to turnpike (too noisy). Those in the southern part of DeLuna seem to be far enough from turnpike noise. Looking to buy around October, and DeLuna may be sold out by then, which will put me looking at Richmond. Great location, but many lots close to turnpike. Question - I don’t mind a distant hum of noise, but how far away from turnpike should I be so I don’t hear much noise?
Purchase an inexpensive decibel meter app for your cell phone and measure road noise from various distances from a freeway near you. Maybe sit in a lawn chair with a friend during rush hour at its loudest and try to hold a quiet conversation. Measure the level at your house now, too. I live a block from 466 and a block from Morse, but there are a dozen houses and lots of trees between me and them, and I’m usually in the house with the windows closed. Even outside, a quiet conversation isn’t a problem. But do your homework!

Every block between you and the freeway helps. Every house between you and the freeway blocks some noise. If you plan to sit out on a patio, make sure your house is between the patio and the freeway. And understand that you will still hear it, always. What matters is if you find it bearable.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:53 AM

While we live in Monarch Grove not DeLuna, some homes are closer than others. We are not that close but the noise varies from non at all, to background noise, and in the rare occasion slightly louder. I believe it depends on weather and of course the amount of traffic. That being said, it does not bother us at all. Where we lived in Ohio we were very close to I90 which was wayyyy louder, but didn’t bother us either. To each their own, some people want complete silence, others the background noise is just white noise.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:55 AM

I live in Deluna roughly five streets from the turnpike. 90% of the time the noise is not noticeable. I did ensure I purchased a home with the lanai facing away from the turnpike, so that was important mitigation.

Our neighbor one street closer has their lanai facing the TP and the noise seems to be amplified on the lanai. Not bad during the day but wouldn't want to have a coffee in the early morning out there.

As others have said, you need to spend some time in the neighborhoods at different times of the day. Look at placement of your house, and just not in consideration of turnpike noise. Consider pickleball courts, other main roads which are often just as noisy as the TP, proximity to shopping centers (deliveries), and golf courses (mowing). There are other factors that you won't know until you move in, such as neighbors with wind chimes, TVs on their lanai, loud music.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

You got to be nuts to consider anything anywhere near the turnpike. You can buy a beautiful home used anywhere else much quieter
Old 08-02-2022, 06:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Location

Besides of considerations about Meggison, Morris or Buena Vista, I would also steer clear of the potential of Bexley Bridge. It seems it will becoming a frequent crossing for A LOT of traffic. It will become a main, if not the main artery for crossing the turnpike.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 08-02-2022, 06:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Gotta have a “new build”?

Ok if your mind is made up but if you look at some of the resales in a quieter and perhaps more settled area….

A. Low or no “bond” possible

B. More Established proven infrastructure and landscaping

C. Closer but not too close to shopping, theater, etc

D. Benefit of prior owner upgraded features (depending on taste variables)

E. Lots of great homes on the market now and great choices of location

F. Consider age of appliances, air conditioner and roof of course. Many north of 466a already replaced
Old 08-02-2022, 06:59 AM

The noise will travel much further in cooler, dryer air than in warm, humid air. So you will hear much more noise in the winter months than now.
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, noise, deluna, don’t, october

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.