I’m Over It!

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2020, 05:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnrbec View Post
Is anyone else getting tired of being labeled “entitled”? It seems like every time I look at any of the various social media posts, someone is accusing me/us of being entitled. I used to think it was outsiders but Villagers are doing it now, too. Just because someone is choosing to do something you don’t agree with doesn’t make them entitled! For the most part, we are caring, giving folks doing the best we can to make the most of our senior years. It’s a stressful time for all of us and we don’t all agree on every issue but let’s please stop the name calling — especially that particular one.
When people call others “entitled” in a pejorative way these days, what they often mean is this: “believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.” The important word here is “inherently.” We all know people who ACT as if doing something is their “God-given right” (“endowed by their creator”), that is, inherent right, a right with which one is born.

But originally, many centuries ago, the word meant one “held the title” to something. If you held the title to a piece of property, you were “entitled.” It was yours by legal right! If someone borrowed money from you and gave you a contract promising to repay you, you were “entitled” to that money.

If you own a home in The Villages, you are legally “entitled” to live there. If you pay your amenities fees, you are “entitled” to do certain things that outsiders are NOT entitled to do, such as use the executive golf courses or swim in the pools. (Apart from the current emergency.) If you pay for special privileges at the country clubs, you are “entitled” to them. If you paid money to the Social Security Administration for decades, you are “entitled” to receive your Social Security check. If you are 65 or older and a U.S. citizen, you are legally “entitled” to receive Medicare. If you put aside money in your retirement fund for decades, you are “entitled” to spend that money after you retire. It is your legal right.

Social Security and Medicare, and also other programs like Medicaid, and welfare payments of various kinds, are classified by the government as “entitlements” because if one meets the requirements, one has the legal right to receive them, and the government has the legal responsibility to pay them. Some of these entitlements are partly covered by what one has contributed, and some are not—they are gifts, but gifts to which people are “entitled” by law.

So yes, if you live in The Villages and own your home and pay your dues (that is, what is DUE to someone if you want to enjoy that to which you are entitled), then you ARE “entitled.” You are ENTITLED to it, in the good sense of the word, and you are free to enjoy it without guilt. Likewise, people on welfare are also “entitled,” because they are legally “entitled” to the services and payments they receive.

You DESERVE the treatment to which you are “entitled”. Name it and claim it! Just don’t prance around acting as if you are INHERENTLY “entitled” to special treatment. That offends almost everyone. With “entitlements” come duties. Wealthy people who come from old money (few if any in The Villages) are taught from childhood that quiet politeness, courtesy, grace, cordiality, modesty, kindness, respect, are what one gives or shows to avoid being called “entitled” in the bad sense of the term.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,854 Times in 893 Posts
Default Well typed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
When people call others “entitled” in a pejorative way these days. . .

Just don’t prance around acting as if you are INHERENTLY “entitled” to special treatment. That offends almost everyone. With “entitlements” come duties. Wealthy people who come from old money (few if any in The Villages) are taught from childhood that quiet politeness, courtesy, grace, cordiality, modesty, kindness, respect, are what one gives or shows to avoid being called “entitled” in the bad sense of the term.
Well written!

sportsguy
Old 04-03-2020, 05:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
entitled
I think the OP is hurt and angered as many are at the unfair taunts on social media about all villagers by some of those who live close by. It is hard not to be hurt and angered. In fact most of us are at least annoyed.

We have to try to remember that the ones taunting are few and the ones deserving criticism are few.

And the ones taunting are envious and think of us as privileged. Worse yet some think we don't deserve to live here and that our ability to live in The Villages just "fell on us". We know better. One of the reasons I love this place is because most of us got here by living and working for many decades and saving our money and many sacrificed many instant gratifications and luxuries in our lifetime to be able to retire to Florida and live here where there is an added amenity fee. We sidestepped many pitfalls because we were careful and frugal. No matter how little we made, we didn't live paycheck to paycheck, didn't waste money, didn't get the latest phone, expensive tattoos, or ate out every night. Some of us, after reusing our clothes, mending what was broken and being fiscally conservative, day after day, year after year became people with more money than they started out with. Most of us didn't steal, trick, scam or cheat to have a little or quite a bit extra in our old age.

We all know we are entitled to nothing and if we lost most of it, we know how to live without much. We did it before. We also know that the real value in life rests in those who we love and who love us.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think the OP is hurt and angered as many are at the unfair taunts on social media about all villagers by some of those who live close by. It is hard not to be hurt and angered. In fact most of us are at least annoyed.

We have to try to remember that the ones taunting are few and the ones deserving criticism are few.

And the ones taunting are envious and think of us as privileged. Worse yet some think we don't deserve to live here and that our ability to live in The Villages just "fell on us". We know better. One of the reasons I love this place is because most of us got here by living and working for many decades and saving our money and many sacrificed many instant gratifications and luxuries in our lifetime to be able to retire to Florida and live here where there is an added amenity fee. We sidestepped many pitfalls because we were careful and frugal. No matter how little we made, we didn't live paycheck to paycheck, didn't waste money, didn't get the latest phone, expensive tattoos, or ate out every night. Some of us, after reusing our clothes, mending what was broken and being fiscally conservative, day after day, year after year became people with more money than they started out with. Most of us didn't steal, trick, scam or cheat to have a little or quite a bit extra in our old age.

We all know we are entitled to nothing and if we lost most of it, we know how to live without much. We did it before. We also know that the real value in life rests in those who we love and who love us.
Post #33
Excellent statement!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:05 AM

I'm in NH. Did not make it to TV's this year
We have been under a state authorised quarantine for over two weeks now
not sure what people are doing, that you are all talking about but it doesn't mean you can't leave your home
if i were in FL i would be going for walks every day.
We go to the store and shop for food (being very careful to sanitize cart handle and staying a safe distance from others, that's it
Keep a bottle of sanitizer in your car, clean up after every visit to store.
CV19 can live up to 5 days on door handles and glass
That should be about it, maybe a car drive or a golf cart drive.
if people are gathering with friends, small groups etc. their crazy this stuff spreads like wildfire
People should be taking this very seriously
stay safe.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:21 AM

Jackass?
Old 04-03-2020, 06:22 AM

Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me. Mama said. Perhaps it is not the entitled but the people with the thin skin in this world who let everything bother them. She also said, mind your own business and you will be to busy to worry about everybody else's business. Both are great rules to practice in this time of retro living.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:23 AM

I believe most of us worked hard over the last fifty years. Put our children through college, saved and invested four the future. If that makes me entitled then I’m proud to embrace that banner.
😎
Old 04-03-2020, 06:25 AM
Default Entitled, really?

I don’t know where you live, but in the village I live in I haven’t met any entitled, narcissistic, selfish, hmm what other hateful words were thrown out there. I’ve met helpful, caring, and friendly people. We all come from different states, we leave our families and friends, and after working and saving for 40 years we come to this beautiful place and form new friendships. No one gives us a house, this wasn’t a free ride. So until you can name these entitled people—just stop!! We have more important things to worry about
Old 04-03-2020, 06:30 AM

Good morning. First let me just say that as an "outsider" (I don't live in the villages) I am truly sorry for ANY negative comments made about Villagers. Sure, there are always a few bad apples in every group, but on the whole, my experience has been extremely positive.
I own and work alone in a one chair beauty salon in Wildwood (my only source of income) and 95% of my clients live in the villages. As of midnight last night my door is closed for 30 days. I am extremely anxious to think what will happen to me and my son this month. With that said, I worked 13 hours straight yesterday to try and stockpile a little extra cash. The clients I saw yesterday (mostly villagers) were SO kind and generous. My clients are some of the most wonderful people I have EVER met. Their kindness and generosity makes my heart smile. I am TRULY blessed to work where I do and to have met the villagers I know. They are not only my clients, but my FRIENDS as well. Have a super terrific day!!!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:39 AM

Carefree
Old 04-03-2020, 06:53 AM
Default I'll take entitled for 1000 Alex

You really don't get why you're labeled entitled? Just go for a ride and look around. Take a good hard look.

I see people not giving a s #^& about the guidelines trying to keep us all safe. Sure golf courses are open but I'm seeing two to a cart sitting on top of each other. I drove through Sumter Landing earlier this week and there were nearly 20 people under the canopies at the top of the boardwalk all close together another half dozen or so sitting within a foot or so of each other by the radio station.

Then I looked to the square where there were several groups congregating and having a good old time. Some were even using the plastic chairs set out by The Villages. You do know the virus lives on plastic and metal right?

Then as I drove up past Red Sauce and City Fire there was a group of four tailgating, tables, chairs a little wine and cheese party.

This is why the the entitled label is thrown around because many feel the rules do not apply to them. The longer people keep doing this and creating potential exposures to the virus the longer we will be in this situation.

I'm not thrilled about being at home all the time but I'm trying to do my part. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Last edited by BlackhawksFan; 04-04-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:56 AM

Why not pick up the BIBLE and read Romans 1: 18-32
Old 04-03-2020, 06:57 AM

People are called entitled, when they intentionally break rules and think thecrules apply to everyone but them.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:10 AM

One point is particularly relevant: most folks are following the guidance but some are not. We see the ones who are not, but we do not see the greater number of folks who ARE following the guidelines...they are INSIDE or in their own yards. And let's face it, in any group, there are some who follow the guidelines like mature adults, being considerate of others, and there are those who never escaped the middle school fixation on self. Such is it now, such it has always been.
Closed Thread

Tags
agree, entitled, make, time, don’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.