Katie Belle's

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson18 View Post
First take away the church with its free entertainment, weddings and special,occasions, then take away our "private club"....who do you think you're fooling, family! Throw in thousands more homes till you see nothing but roofs for miles, charge exorbitant rentals for commercial spaces, and you have what USED to be someplace really special and unique. Now one hears many complaints from those who are looking to leave. Traffic and long waits for services have made living here "inconvenient". There are many places smaller with not as many amenities but a more comfortable and less stressful lifestyle.
I'm at a loss regarding your comment about TV's stressful lifestyle. The lifestyle is what YOU make it. If it is stressful to you, it is anything but that for me. My career was stressful, but in many ways positive stress. TV is hardly stressful. Perhaps some relaxation lessons would be of benefit.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson18 View Post
....less stressful lifestyle.
The Villages is stressful??....that is too funny!!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:55 AM
Sage

Is TV stress factor different, than any other places stress factors? Stress is in one's mind on their outlook of life and their interaction with others. IMHO

At least TV offers so many opportunities to relieve one's stress, with it's myriad of exercise type activities. Drinking helps too!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-14-2015, 08:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
You have a great grasp of the situation, Ladygolfer93. Villagers should be outraged! I'd like to see if TV still has KB on it's "Lifestyle DVD".. If they do, then it's fraud! And you are right about COS,,,it was a beautiful church! To 'bastardize' it for the sake of having a 'concert' hall' is a grave mistake. We don't need all the extra outside influence added to the congestion that already exists. The prices they will charge will be excessive. I don't need Broadway in TVs,, and neither does anyone else.
sorry no outrage whatsoever, and you certainly don't speak for anyone but yourself!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
I never even knew Katie Belles was a resident amenity when I bought here and in 8 years, I went there once. There are so many other outdoor activities to enjoy and so many bars, I cannot even count them.
Different people place different values on community amenities. Other communities have golf courses, activity centers, restaurants, bars, etc. But not one has a Katie Belle's. It is unique and, for a lot of people, it is a source of community pride. Something that sets the Villages apart from all the other retirement communities.

It is being replaced by retail stores and a generic second-floor restaurant. The Villages is losing something significant.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Sage
Quote:
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, it has been said,and I think something beautiful is being demolished all in an effort to squeeze more $$$ out of us. TV thinks it can make more $$$ with commercial space than restaurants,apparently. I was impressed, initially, with having KB as a 'private' club..and now,,,they will 'squeeze' it upstairs...not good. The Morse family is not ashamed to use it's power ($$$$) to change things. Who did they discuss this with? Did they take a poll of ALL Villagers? I bet not. So, our fees are just paying the freight for 'upgrades' like this, without our input? The Boston Teaparty started over 'taxation without representation'..where was ours when 'they' decided this? And how many more decisions are going to be made,using OUR $$$, without our input?

"How many more decisions are going to be made using OUR $$$ without our input?" All of them.

Prospective buyers should be forewarned that what they see here can disappear or change overnight. And as Bonny points out, what you see in the video means nothing. The video TV puts out is not a binding contract.

From a safety perspective, it is unbelievable that any fire marshal or building inspector would approve a second story establishment for 300 people, especially in a retirement community, with reports of nightclub fires and hundreds of people being killed. Assuming the kitchen would be on the top floor makes this an even more dangerous situation.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Villagers should be outraged! .........And you are right about COS,,,it was a beautiful church! To 'bastardize' it for the sake of having a 'concert' hall' is a grave mistake. We don't need all the extra outside influence added to the congestion that already exists. The prices they will charge will be excessive. I don't need Broadway in TVs,, and neither does anyone else.

I'm not sure why Villagers should be outraged.
Our amenities don't subsidize Katie Belles.
Our amenities didn't subsidize Church on The Square.
It's private enterprise and they have every right to do whatever they want.
Although most residents are sad about the change, in all fairness, most of us rarely went there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
The powers that be don't have to discuss it with anyone or take a poll. It's their building to do what they want with. It was always a money loser and they probably have decided they no longer want to spend "their" money to keep it going. They don't need or want anyone's input.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Platinum member
Default My Thoughts

For those of you concerned, KB will still be restricted to residents and guests only. If the residents and their guests stay away, then it will most likely be opened up to all. Many changes have and are being made here often times because of lack of support.

As for the Church on the Square, the same thing. At one time, it was "the only game in town". There were not churches everywhere like now. Are those living south of 466, 466A, and beyond going to come there for any and all their occasions, including to go to church? My guess, is not. I am sure that the newer residents probably don't know or remember how many here clamored for years for a "Performing Arts Center". Well, apparently someone listened so to say they don't listen to what residents want.........

This is all just my 2 cents, but I have seen many changes since buying here in 2003 and moving in in 2004. People will always complain when it comes to change. As for the money aspect, how many here know of anyone, ANYONE, who is in business to not make money? Some of you on here owned your own businesses. Did you go into business just to furnish whatever your product was to give it away or not make a profit? Why should the Morse family be any different?

We all have choices here and there is something for everyone if you want it. We are all free to pick and choose. I don't know of anyone who was forced to come here and I don't know of anyone being forced to stay here. Seems pretty simple to me.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts
Default big deal

The few times I have been there, the food was sub-par. Of course, that was during the off season, as I didn't want to wait in the long lines during the snow bird season. I tried to bring visitors to the place but couldn't get in, it was so crowded. If I want to impress visitors now, I take them to one of the many great Club restaurants. It's called Free Enterprise folks. I realize that this concept has become a bit vague in the past few years, but we do live in a free country. Hopefully, the change will be for the better. If not, then it too will become pass'e. The black side of the ledger dictates the business, not the red side or charity.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
"How many more decisions are going to be made using OUR $$$ without our input?" All of them.

Prospective buyers should be forewarned that what they see here can disappear or change overnight. And as Bonny points out, what you see in the video means nothing. The video TV puts out is not a binding contract.

From a safety perspective, it is unbelievable that any fire marshal or building inspector would approve a second story establishment for 300 people, especially in a retirement community, with reports of nightclub fires and hundreds of people being killed. Assuming the kitchen would be on the top floor makes this an even more dangerous situation.
NONE of OUR money is being used at Katie Belles or the "church". And I'm sure the upgrades will include all necessary safety pieces. The new KB's will be no more hazardous than the Cattle Baron is now. In fact i'd wager there will be MORE safety precautions in the remodel.

I wonder how people that own multiple houses and rent them out would like it if the developer dictated what you can charge? Seems much like the question 'they should ask us about KB's & the 'church'!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 04-14-2015, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
"resident-only club" in a retirement community located on the second floor ? Brilliant idea for those with walkers and wheelchairs.
Wouldn't they be required to install an elevator? Although I don't think they need a requirement to do the right thing. Are there elevators in the Sharon Morse auditorium?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 AM
Sage

Didn't one of the earlier post says there was an elevator, in KB's?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Default Katie Belle's

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post

This change is not what my wife and I were sold in 2000. It's true, that an owner can do with their property anything they want to do within the law. However, it seems to me that there was an implied condition that The Church on the Square and Katie Belle's were major enticement points in the sales propaganda.

My wife and I are very disappointed that the evenings that we enjoyed on the balconies of the Cattle Baron's Club will be gone. We felt that many of the employees had become like family and we will miss them.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

there is already an elevator, I was on it with my wife last week
Old 04-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Sage

That Katie Belles isn't very profitable is a real shame. The make believe church was remodeled to into a beautiful theatre. So beautiful it's not as affordable.

I would have thought that Katie Belle's could take over those little concerts that were held in the church for 4 or 5 dollars a pop. Maybe the stage could be elevated? Maybe folding chairs on the dance floor? Maybe a membership would be affordable? When I joined a public course, I played all the time. When I had to pay, I would wait for great weather and friends.

Upstairs, if you are lucky enough to see the show where you sit you could order drinks, apps or desserts with a per person minimum.

I'm just brainstorming.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.