Post Office petition

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Post Office petition

It looks like they will be at Alhambra, Ashland, Bonnybrook, Calumet Grove, Caroline, Chatham Square, Hacienda Hills, Polo Ridge and Sabal Chase on Monday, February 11, 2008.

Tuesday the 12th of February--Belvedere, Bonita, El Santiago, Largo, Lynnhaven, Mallory Square, Piedmont, Summerhill, Tierra del Sol, and Woodbury

Wednesday the 13th of February-- Briar Meadow, Bridgeport Village, Chula Vista, De La Vista, Glenbrook, Hadley, Paradise, Santo Domingo, Spanish Springs, Springdale, Tall Trees, Winifred

Thursday the 14th of February-- Belle Aire, Chula Vista, Mulberry Grove, Poinciana, Sunset Pointe, Valla Verde, Virginia Trace

Friday the 15th of February-- Amelia, Duval, Liberty Park, Miona Shores, and Rio Grande

That's according to page A4 of the Villages Daily Sun for Thursday, February 7, 2008.

Have no idea why they list Chula Vista twice?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

IS there a place were owners who are currently not residing in TV can also sign on to this petition.....once we finally move it will effect us all.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

So...exactly...what are the advantages of having our own post office?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 AM

Is this another roundabout discussion in the offing?
Old 02-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01
Another place to mail packages, buy stamps, USPO memorabilia, etc. Hope it will not affect the goings on of the neighborhood posting centers.

I know you can buy stamps at Albertsons, Publix and maybe other places around the Villages (ATMs?) but the stamp selection seems extremely limited for those of us who like a little variety.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01
Brightspot: I'm also wondering what the advantages are. I'm obviously missing something here, everyone seems to be in favour. :dontknow:

You can ship packages at Pack and Ship (which seem to be located in most plazas) or call Fed Ex. You can buy stamps at Publix or even order them from your local mail carrier at your postal station. With the increased use of e-mail, it seems a strange time to be adding a postal station.

I think post offices are going to disappear the same way telephone booths did!
Old 02-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
Brightspot: I'm also wondering what the advantages are. I'm obviously missing something here, everyone seems to be in favour. :dontknow:

You can ship packages at Pack and Ship (which seem to be located in most plazas) or call Fed Ex. You can buy stamps at Publix or even order them from your local mail carrier at your postal station. With the increased use of e-mail, it seems a strange time to be adding a postal station.

I think post offices are going to disappear the same way telephone booths did!
You do have to stand in line often at US Post Offices but they are quite a bit cheaper than Fed Ex, Pack and Ship, etc.

And, actually seeing the stamps in a non virtual reality form is an added attraction when choosing a book of stamps at the US post office rather than from the USPO web-site.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Taltarzac

How's the petition going for the TV own postal center?

There are supposedly going to be at hese Villages today from 2 to 4 --Belvedere, Bonita, El Santiago, Largo, Lynnhaven, Mallory Square, Piedmont, Summerhill, Tierra del Sol, and Woodbury.

I was watching the movie Juno at the Old Mill Playhouse along with about 20 people in the 300 seat auditorium yesterday at that time. So, I could not drive by the places where the petitoners were supposedly at yesterday-- Alhambra, Ashland, Bonnybrook, Calumet Grove, Caroline, Chatham Square, Hacienda Hills, Polo Ridge and Sabal Chase.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Eternal Member

So except for being able to buy special stamps and not stand in line (possibly because those in line are also villagers who will be standing in line at the new Villages PO), what are the advantages of having a brick and mortar PO in the Villages itself?

As I might have mentioned before, I MIGHT have to go to a real post office once a year - if that often. How many of you actually visit a real PO in a year? Is it worth the additional cost to pursue this?

Also, for those of us that live on the north side of TV, how many miles will we save? I would assume that the new PO will be in the Lake Sumter area which is at least 6 miles from my residence. I can go to Weisdale (7.2 miles) in a car and be back home in less than 30 minutes.

And again - who will pay for this and who will profit from the sale of the property?

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac
How's the petition going for the TV own postal center?

There are supposedly going to be at hese Villages today from 2 to 4 --Belvedere, Bonita, El Santiago, Largo, Lynnhaven, Mallory Square, Piedmont, Summerhill, Tierra del Sol, and Woodbury.

I was watching the movie Juno at the Old Mill Playhouse along with about 20 people in the 300 seat auditorium yesterday at that time. So, I could not drive by the places where the petitoners were supposedly at yesterday-- Alhambra, Ashland, Bonnybrook, Calumet Grove, Caroline, Chatham Square, Hacienda Hills, Polo Ridge and Sabal Chase.

AND ALSO AT HADLEY VILLAGE TODAY.

Also they showed up today at Hadley Mailboxes where we signed the petition. Would never would have guessed they were coming until we heard super loud music coming into our backyard.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 AM
mcelheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
So except for being able to buy special stamps and not stand in line (possibly because those in line are also villagers who will be standing in line at the new Villages PO), what are the advantages of having a brick and mortar PO in the Villages.
Cheaper, cheaper, cheaper...pack and ship is sooo expensive!!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Sage

Believe it or not they were even in Orange
blossom(the historic side)!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Right now there is no Villages POST OFFICE...Its LADY LAKE...........When official documents are sent to me to THE VILLAGES the PO changes them to Lady Lake...
We are having an IDENTITY crisis......

Old 02-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Taltarzac

Did they get the targeted 30,000 signatures or is the petition still circulating for signatures? :dontknow:
Old 02-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Eternal Member

I believe it is still on-going. Pettitions were circulated to all recognized clubs in TV and it'll take time to get them back. Don't know about the rest of the place, but the turnout at the postal stations in Region 5 was pretty good.

Bonnybrook - 134
Ashland - 214
Belvedere - 288
Lynnhaven - 255
Bridgeport - 107
Winifred - 381
Sunset Pointe - 250
Poinciana - 274
Liberty Park - 340

I suppose we will be hearing more about overall response soon.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.