Restaurant surcharges

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,939 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
The 1% surcharge is not a business decision but a political statement. Most restaurants are subsidized by the government through the SNAPS program. Since their employees are paid such a low wage with little or no benefits, a fairly large percentage require their subsistence to be subsidized by the taxpayer since their employer fails to do so. And without health benrfits, they are forced to go to the emergency room where they can not denied treatment without cost. Fortunately, the Affordable Care Act will eventually at least address the shortcomings of some employers benefits program.
Thank you. I so agree.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 PM

For what it's worth, a 1% surcharge on a $20 meal amounts to 20 cents.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

If they are going to add this 1% surcharge I hope that they identify it on the bill as exactly what it is......OBAMA CARE SURCHARGE 1%.
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
For what it's worth, a 1% surcharge on a $20 meal amounts to 20 cents.
Doesn't matter if it's 1/2 a cent - it is the principle.
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
If you truly believe that the Affordable Care Act has a chance of accomplishing anything good, I think you need to actually try to find anyone who actually works and pays taxes who agrees with you. The only people who are being helped by Obamacare are those with low/no income and they are being shoveled onto Medicaid. Many who previously had insurance are being priced out of coverage. Those with pre-existing conditionals who thought they were going to benefit are finding out that unless they are near the poverty level, they cannot afford to make the decision between the mortgage payment and their $1,000/month insurance related costs (premiums, copays and deductibles).

I know many who have had their premium costs rise from 30% to 130%. Mine went from $380/mo to $730/mo. This does not include all of my additional expenses related to additional taxes related to Obamacare subsidies.

Also, experienced and dedicated waitstaff in restaurants like Gators earn well above minimum wage. In fact they have an opportunity to earn well above the national average income. My 16-year old grandson makes $60 to $80 per night in tips working 4 hours in a Chinese restaurant. He plans on making that much per hour by the time he gets out of college. That is what minimum wage jobs are all about. They are designed to be OJT. Work hard and move up if you have the ability and drive. If not, you do like my father and work two jobs. You do what it takes for yourself and by yourself.
:
Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Sage

[quote=villagerjack;828276]::
Old 02-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you truly believe that the Affordable Care Act has a chance of accomplishing anything good, I think you need to actually try to find anyone who actually works and pays taxes who agrees with you. The only people who are being helped by Obamacare are those with low/no income and they are being shoveled onto Medicaid. Many who previously had insurance are being priced out of coverage. Those with pre-existing conditionals who thought they were going to benefit are finding out that unless they are near the poverty level, they cannot afford to make the decision between the mortgage payment and their $1,000/month insurance related costs (premiums, copays and deductibles).

I know many who have had their premium costs rise from 30% to 130%. Mine went from $380/mo to $730/mo. This does not include all of my additional expenses related to additional taxes related to Obamacare subsidies.

Also, experienced and dedicated waitstaff in restaurants like Gators earn well above minimum wage. In fact they have an opportunity to earn well above the national average income. My 16-year old grandson makes $60 to $80 per night in tips working 4 hours in a Chinese restaurant. He plans on making that much per hour by the time he gets out of college. That is what minimum wage jobs are all about. They are designed to be OJT. Work hard and move up if you have the ability and drive. If not, you do like my father and work two jobs. You do what it takes for yourself and by yourself.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

If you read the notice, it clearly states it can increase prices or charge 1% surcharge. I feel they are being honest by letting you know that there is a surcharge. Would you feel better if the increased food prices by 10%. I would not. I thank them for their honesty.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikiem View Post
If you read the notice, it clearly states it can increase prices or charge 1% surcharge. I feel they are being honest by letting you know that there is a surcharge. Would you feel better if the increased food prices by 10%. I would not. I thank them for their honesty.
Why did they have to say anything? Because they wanted to make a political statement.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Sage

Personally, I think Gators Dockside just wanted to make a statement they will not change workers to part time so they can get away with not giving medical coverage and that they are the good guys while other establishments are not the good guys.

Well, I guess Gators Dockside is too expensive to enjoy a beer at anymore. That extra 3 cents is going to make a big difference.

I don't go to Gators Dockside anyhow. I prefer RJ Gators or Cody's anyday.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213
Default confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Personally, I think Gators Dockside just wanted to make a statement they will not change workers to part time so they can get away with not giving medical coverage and that they are the good guys while other establishments are not the good guys.

Well, I guess Gators Dockside is too expensive to enjoy a beer at anymore. That extra 3 cents is going to make a big difference.

I don't go to Gators Dockside anyhow. I prefer RJ Gators or Cody's anyday.
I am not sure how they are going to "get away with not giving medical coverage". I have heard most companies are actually cutting hours of all of the part-time employees so they don't meet the quota of needed hours for the month. Hiring more staff-but at less required hours= not having the employer contribute to any health care plan. I didn't read the article--but maybe I am still confused like most people regarding this subject.

I will share I met with someone recently- explained to me she wanted to have a colonoscopy due to family history of colon cancer. She was not working and had no health insurance. She was told she didn't qualify for Obamacare and was too young for Medicare (60). She made too much for Medicaid. Sad--all she wanted was a screening to prevent a possible cancer. She actually said "I guess if I have colon cancer by the time I get Medicare, it will be too late."
Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 PM

I see no difference in what Gators is doing compared to other industries: airlines: fuel surcharge, telephone companies: 911 and "free phone" surcharges, and utilities (taxes) - because these imposed healthcare costs ARE taxes. I like honesty and Gators has apparently decided to operate honestly. On the other hand, had they simply raised prices, I wouldn't fault them for that either - when the COST of business rises there are only three options: 1) Cut Costs; 2) Raise Prices or 3) Close the doors and go out of business. I'll be back at Gators for the great food - AND their honesty!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

can always count on you for a well thought out, common sense answer! Thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
No wonder this country is the shape it's in. A business raising prices to cover increased costs is considered politically motivated.
You are absolutely correct. Thank you for that perspective.

You know, having thought about it overnight, I agree with you. The restaurant has every right to raise it's prices when it chooses. They should pass on the increased costs they incur like health insurance, electricity, food costs, labor costs, rental costs, etc. That's the way it works and I do not begrudge them for raising the prices to cover the cost of providing affordable health insurance for the hard working employees at Gators, just like other business provide it for employees.

What is political is that they felt compelled to publicly "blame" the cost increase on the Affordable Care Act. They don't blame the power company, or food providers, or the developer when those costs increase. Why make a big deal out of the increase for providing health insurance coverage for their employees? That, my friend, is what gripes me because that is political. No two ways about it.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Have you had the opportunity to be in a restaurant that rounds up your bill to eliminate the change? I said up, not down. Who keeps that? The business or the waitstaff?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.