Roped off entire section to save seats

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2015, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
I really think that leaving your coat or hat or water bottle on your seat shows that you are up dancing or getting a drink. But a rope across 25 chairs in a line at 3pm means that you are a chair hoarder.
I agree, but where does the line get drawn. If we go there with another couple and they say "go get seats while we go get a drink" so we sit in two seats and tell people that the two next to us are being saved. Now I believe that you and most other people would find that reasonable, but again I have to ask, where do we draw the line?
What if I have a party of eight on the way and I sit and try to save eight seats. Is that still OK? Obviously tying a rope around 20 seats is not OK, but where exactly is the line. when is it OK and when is it not OK?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:59 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens 1966 View Post
Does anyone else notice all the kids running around in Brownwood on the weekends it looks like Wildwood parents use the square for a sitting service it will be just be a matter of time before it will not be safe to be there !!!!!
Although I am still a snow (arctic) bird from Ohio, I have enjoyed seeing young kids dancing at Brownwood when I visit my wife who gets to stay all winter in the Villages. Being around kids makes me remember my youth and gives me youthful thoughts.

I would encourage more participation and interaction by younger people in some Village activities as it might be helpful to all concerned.

How about letting people only reserve seats in the back rows, not the front ones.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Gold member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
If the rule is that seats cannot be saved and some have roped off large or even small areas then the easy solution is to take the ropes down. If one of those saving seats confronts you they should be reminded that (a) you will file assualt charges, (b) if assualted or even threatened with assualt by someone who has the ability to preform an assult, (e.g. forms fist and aims at you, etc) then the assualt may be rated a "higher assualt" for threatening a person over 65 in Florida. Also, you will pursue the charge in court and they will be fined and maybe sent to jail. Are the seats worth it to them? And if they go on then file the charges, (get witnesses at the site).
Well Said !!! I also wonder why the entertainment department doesn't have someone do the dirty work of removing the roping. It appears they want others to do the confronting. Someone offered a good suggestion, that everyone who is disturbed by these acts, express their complaints when the surveys are done.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I asked some folks wearing "Villages shirts" that were working Brownwood the other evening about people roping off chairs. I can't recall exactly what they said but it was quite apparent they were not interested in dealing with any roped off seats. I must say I can't blame them. There is little upside and a lot of downside to doing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Well Said !!! I also wonder why the entertainment department doesn't have someone do the dirty work of removing the roping. It appears they want others to do the confronting. Someone offered a good suggestion, that everyone who is disturbed by these acts, express their complaints when the surveys are done.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Give us a call!

The Villages Entertainment * Special Events Department: (352) 750-5411
I took Bogie Shooter's advice and called Special Events Department and they said they couldn't (wouldn't) do anything about it. They basically said let rudeness beget rudeness. Let the confrontations begin!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawano1 View Post
I took Bogie Shooter's advice and called Special Events Department and they said they couldn't (wouldn't) do anything about it. They basically said let rudeness beget rudeness. Let the confrontations begin!!!

It's a shame that the unwillingness of the Special Events Department to police what they have scheduled will inevitably cause a confrontation that could get physical. They seem to act like politicians.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Left unattended this will produce a very ugly incident sometime.
The Villages will be embarassed-- nationally

JMHOb
Old 02-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Sage

Let's organize a protest. The kind with signs and singing. Here's a good song. click here
Anyone got a horse? I wouldn't want to Trigger a riot though.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulparrot View Post
I'm not a Villager yet, but will be in the next year .... I am one of those confrontational people, even if it's one chair. Fortunately, being 6'4" and 270lbs, nobody confronts me that much. It's so sad, I used to have so much fun.
I don't think confrontation is healthy for anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Why not a sign in a easy to see place at each square that says:
Chairs available on first come basis.
Saving or roping off seating is not allowed.
Any folks that have concerns about the saving of chairs in the Town Squares should remember to write this comment on their annual Villages Survey.

The Survey is usually distributed in the Spring, you'll receive an email link, and management does listen to comments.

If the Villages receives enough comments, they will post signs.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I am generally OK with cushions on the seats as you can at least pretend that the people are dancing, getting a beverage, going to the restroom, doing some quick shopping, etc. and "we are actually here and will be right back". The roping off of a large block of seats is pretty much in your face and screams that "we can't even be bothered pretending that we will be right back as most of us haven't even showed up yet". I would like to see entertainment folks remove ropes but I'm not sure it will ever happen. I guess in the absence of ropes a couple of people could haul in 20 cushions. April will be here soon and the problem will diminish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Why not a sign in a easy to see place at each square that says:

Chairs available on first come basis.
Saving or roping off seating is not allowed.

Than when it happens, anyone can just remove the rope or ribbon and if confronted, just point out the sign. Also an announcement when they do the "no smoking" and other announcements.

Simple solution that should prevent the problem.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawano1 View Post
I had made a comment but deleted it when I realized that I never go to the squares therefore have no dog in this fight.

Last edited by TheVillageChicken; 02-25-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:07 AM

I personally have never seen the Villages support anyone in situations like this. Before we moved here, we were actually happy because it sounded that there were actual regulations that seemed fair, and the way people on here talked, the Villages helped enforce those regulations in order to make this a happier place, and so that there would be no need for confrontations. Boy were we suprised when we came down here. We still love it here in spite of the Villages lack of support, but I am afraid that it seems to be more and more of an issue, and the more people we have, the worst it is going to get.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I have seen event staff remove ribbons, cushions, etc. a few hours before an event was to occur but only if no one was there. One individual was enough for even twenty chairs. The cushions, etc were tossed into the bushes. However, it has been several years since I have seen this.

It would be nice if TV were a little more proactive in enforcing their own rules. Neighbors having to tattle on neighbors is ridiculous when Community Watch can drive by and see an issue. Having someone pass out chairs before a big event would solve the chair-saving issue and prevent hard feelings and confrontations. Allowing police on to golf cart paths to ticket speeders might even save a life.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Deed restrictions are enforced but must be reported.

You can tell people to remove ropes but some people will just defy all regulations. There is NO way there is any punishment for breaking these rules. Tell someone they are banned from the squares??? Think about it.

They publish the rules in The Daily Sun and in The Recreation News about water aerobics in neighborhood pools and people get on this forum and say they are doing it anyway.

You all know someone who would just do it to prove their "power". AND particularly people who don't own property here cannot be fined. What if they don't want to tell you who they are. I can see why it isn't enforced.

Redwitch, what would your plan be???? I expect people to behave like I would or my kids would or my parents would. But That is just it. How are you going to MAKE them obey the rules???????
Old 02-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe the Rev. Al Sharpton can bring his flock and do something useful for a change. They can chant something catchy as the ropes and cushions are tossed unceremoniously.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.