Sampling the merchandise

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I love Publix. They never fail to amaze me with their wonderful staff, and offers to carry out groceries to your auto.
I agree with Gracie, they have the patience of Saints.

Me too - I always check "use by dates" to get the freshest dairy.
I thought all women shoppers checked "best by" dates.
Not to be discriminatory, but I've noticed men are more likely to grab the first thing on the shelf.

My husband has successfully completed the home-schooled course Grocery 101 and is now bringing home fresher bagged lettuce and milk!
Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 PM

Lol. My husband is not the norm then. He insists on checking the dates on any fresh food, dairy, breads, eggs , etc. and will get after me and remind me if I take something from the front without checking the dates.

It's always interesting, because although the product is supposed to be rotated with the newest in the back – that is not always the case.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:34 PM

Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Thursday - Red
Friday - White
Saturday - Yellow
I had to check that out on Snopes to see if it was an urban legend. Guess it's true about bread tie colors and the day the bread is delivered.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudoll View Post
Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Thursday - Red
Friday - White
Saturday - Yellow
I had to check that out on Snopes to see if it was an urban legend. Guess it's true about bread tie colors and the day the bread is delivered.
That's interesting, because you could leave a loaf of brand name bread (not grocery store baked) in your fridge for months and it wouldn't mold. I've done it with Sara Lee Lite Whole Wheat.

There are so many preservatives in those breads on the bread aisle.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfal View Post
I was in Publix one time behind a woman in front of the prepared foods case. She told the clerk behind the counter that she didn't want the chicken fingers in the case, she wanted the fresh ones from the back. I saw the clerk take the fingers out of the case, take them in the back and place them in a different Bowl. When he brought the second bowl out, the lady was thrilled she was getting the "fresh" ones. I laughed all the way home.
thats just wrong on so many levels.......
Old 03-05-2015, 03:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Would you stand in the packaged/weighed/priced produce aisle and demand a sample of the cut fruit already weighed and priced in clear plastic, sealed boxes?

I'm shocked. Where I come from the response would be, "that takes a lot of unmitigated gall", to make the store personnel get a fork, open the box, give a sample, (listen to the customer proclaim for all to hear how TERRIBLE it is), and then take the box to the back room to either discard the contents, or re-package, weigh and price it.

I think it's disrespectful to the merchant. But I'm from the midwest. Haven't seen that before.
I agree that this practice is unusual but it is something that Publix has always done. It is their policy.

Publix does not consider this gall. They tell their customers that they are happy to break open packages.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Gold member

Old 03-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

And there are people who wonder why some of us love our pets so much. Animals are just not as complicated as people.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.