Sampling the merchandise

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,325
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1,631 Times in 534 Posts
Default

My wife works in the produce dept of a supermarket. I can't believe some of the stories she tells me. Sometimes people will ask her to get something "out of the back" when there is a huge supply right in front of them. It seems as if they believe that the store keeps the good stuff in the back and hold it just for customers that ask for it. The goods that are kept out front on the shelves are simply not good enough for them.

Then there are the people who always reach to the back of a row of product because they think that the stuff in the back is fresher or better some how. They don't seem to realize that it's all put there at the same time and doesn't sit on the shelf for more than a few hours. The stuff in the back has been sitting for literally a few seconds more then the one in the front. It's an inconvenience to the people working when people do this because they have to go back and straighten out the mess that many of these people make. I tell my wife that when she's refilling the racks, she should put the older stuff in the back.

I was in a store a few days ago and decided to pick up one of those rotisserie chickens. There were fifteen or so chickens on the shelf and people were picking them up and putting them in their cart. Just before I got there, a woman parks her carts in such a manner as to make it difficult to get to the chickens. Then she starts picking them up one by one and inspecting them as if there were some kind of difference. Then after preventing me from picking one up for several minutes, she asks the guy behind the counter when the ones that were cooking would be ready. Finally, I move her cart out of the way and grabbed a chicken. She gave me a dirty look.
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
  #17  
Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM
kstew43 kstew43 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,128
Thanks: 182
Thanked 56 Times in 21 Posts
Default

I myself actually lift the chickens to decide, just so I dont get one filled with ....chicken fluid....that can spill all over my car.

I do try to put it into a bag, but I have to tell you, once that chicken juice leaks or spills in your car, it is a memory that you will SMELL forever.

I also take a grape or two, just to make sure they aren't seeded...and taste good. Grape prices have gotten high..
  #18  
Old 03-04-2015, 12:01 PM
memason's Avatar
memason memason is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Cool

Not sure why so many folks are bothered by this.... Lots of stores give samples, if you ask, Been that way every place I have ever lived.

I see a lot of rude behavior at the market, but it is usually directed at other shoppers; not the staff.
  #19  
Old 03-04-2015, 12:14 PM
TheVillageChicken's Avatar
TheVillageChicken TheVillageChicken is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

From the Publix website:

"Our Publix associates in the produce section are just as passionate about fresh, delicious food as you. And they're happy to share tips, search in the back for an item, or let you sample something new."

So, when one asks for a sample, they are actually making the associate happy.
  #20  
Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 PM
TheVillageChicken's Avatar
TheVillageChicken TheVillageChicken is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I myself actually lift the chickens to decide, just so I dont get one filled with ....chicken fluid....that can spill all over my car.

I do try to put it into a bag, but I have to tell you, once that chicken juice leaks or spills in your car, it is a memory that you will SMELL forever.

I also take a grape or two, just to make sure they aren't seeded...and taste good. Grape prices have gotten high..

"Chicken fluid"....love it.
  #21  
Old 03-04-2015, 12:32 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,375
Thanks: 4,174
Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,591 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
From the Publix website:

"Our Publix associates in the produce section are just as passionate about fresh, delicious food as you. And they're happy to share tips, search in the back for an item, or let you sample something new."

So, when one asks for a sample, they are actually making the associate happy.

Publix is VERY accommodating and endlessly helpful and the folks who work there all have the patience of saints. Thank you Publix people.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #22  
Old 03-04-2015, 12:45 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,949
Thanks: 367
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Publix is VERY accommodating and endlessly helpful and the folks who work there all have the patience of saints. Thank you Publix people.
Yes! And all the more reason to act like a responsible consumer and not pull arrogant, cheap stunts such as returning half-used items or engaging in other actions that cause them to lose money.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #23  
Old 03-04-2015, 12:52 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,949
Thanks: 367
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
My wife works in the produce dept of a supermarket. I can't believe some of the stories she tells me. Sometimes people will ask her to get something "out of the back" when there is a huge supply right in front of them. It seems as if they believe that the store keeps the good stuff in the back and hold it just for customers that ask for it. The goods that are kept out front on the shelves are simply not good enough for them.

Then there are the people who always reach to the back of a row of product because they think that the stuff in the back is fresher or better some how. They don't seem to realize that it's all put there at the same time and doesn't sit on the shelf for more than a few hours. The stuff in the back has been sitting for literally a few seconds more then the one in the front. It's an inconvenience to the people working when people do this because they have to go back and straighten out the mess that many of these people make. I tell my wife that when she's refilling the racks, she should put the older stuff in the back.

I was in a store a few days ago and decided to pick up one of those rotisserie chickens. There were fifteen or so chickens on the shelf and people were picking them up and putting them in their cart. Just before I got there, a woman parks her carts in such a manner as to make it difficult to get to the chickens. Then she starts picking them up one by one and inspecting them as if there were some kind of difference. Then after preventing me from picking one up for several minutes, she asks the guy behind the counter when the ones that were cooking would be ready. Finally, I move her cart out of the way and grabbed a chicken. She gave me a dirty look.
I agree except for your second paragraph. I buy a lot of pre-washed leafy lettuce, and it spoils quickly. The bags in the back of the row have later Use By dates than the ones in the front. I'm the only one eating this lettuce, so it matters to me how long it will last. Same thing with yogurt and milk. I always go to the back of the row and find the ones with the farthest out Use By date, because I'm the only one consuming those items. If it's something we both eat or gets used up quickly, I just grab the first one in the row.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #24  
Old 03-04-2015, 01:11 PM
sunnyatlast sunnyatlast is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,208
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
From the Publix website:

"Our Publix associates in the produce section are just as passionate about fresh, delicious food as you. And they're happy to share tips, search in the back for an item, or let you sample something new."

So, when one asks for a sample, they are actually making the associate happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Publix is VERY accommodating and endlessly helpful and the folks who work there all have the patience of saints. Thank you Publix people.
Actually, it was the haughty, overbearing tone of the "big woman", towering over the young man and talking down to him, that bothered me as much as the ruination of the sealed package weighed and labeled for a fixed price!

Plus, she made a show of what a big shot she was in the midst of that aisle very crowded with shoppers trying to pass thru.

And I'm going to say again, the store OFFERING a sample from their bulk, open containers is a whole lot different from customers demanding they open sealed, weighed, priced fresh-cut fruit in containers in the refrigerated bins, and now that opened container of food can't be sold like that!
  #25  
Old 03-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Deseylou Deseylou is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's called FIFO
First in, first out
I too reach for the ones in the back, if I'm paying its my business
Debbie
  #26  
Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,681
Thanks: 1,685
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Publix is VERY accommodating and endlessly helpful and the folks who work there all have the patience of saints.
I love Publix. They never fail to amaze me with their wonderful staff, and offers to carry out groceries to your auto.
I agree with Gracie, they have the patience of Saints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The bags in the back of the row have later Use By dates than the ones in the front .. same thing with yogurt and milk. I always go to the back of the row and find the ones with the farthest out Use By date.
Me too - I always check "use by dates" to get the freshest dairy.
I thought all women shoppers checked "best by" dates.
Not to be discriminatory, but I've noticed men are more likely to grab the first thing on the shelf.


__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #27  
Old 03-04-2015, 01:16 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,375
Thanks: 4,174
Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,591 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

I think...I heard this woman singing at our 466 Publix this morning....


have an eggroll mr goldstone - Bing Videos
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #28  
Old 03-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,681
Thanks: 1,685
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
.... the store OFFERING a sample from their bulk, open containers is a whole lot different from customers demanding they open sealed, weighed, priced fresh-cut fruit in containers in the refrigerated bins, and now that opened container of food can't be sold like that!
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #29  
Old 03-04-2015, 04:01 PM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,883
Thanks: 164
Thanked 634 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I love Publix. They never fail to amaze me with their wonderful staff, and offers to carry out groceries to your auto.
I agree with Gracie, they have the patience of Saints.


Me too - I always check "use by dates" to get the freshest dairy.
I thought all women shoppers checked "best by" dates.
Not to be discriminatory, but I've noticed men are more likely to grab the first thing on the shelf.


I had a nice lady come up to me in the grocery to check the twisty tie on the loaf of bread I picked up. She explained that there are different colors for different days the bread is made, and she always tries to get the freshest loaf. I didn't have the heart to tell her I look at the date on the package.
  #30  
Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 PM
texasfal texasfal is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 428
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I was in Publix one time behind a woman in front of the prepared foods case. She told the clerk behind the counter that she didn't want the chicken fingers in the case, she wanted the fresh ones from the back. I saw the clerk take the fingers out of the case, take them in the back and place them in a different Bowl. When he brought the second bowl out, the lady was thrilled she was getting the "fresh" ones. I laughed all the way home.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.