Shades for lanai,

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Location: Polo Ridge TV via New Hampshire, Isles of Shoals, Maryland and Massachusetts

Gracie Girl - sounds like you should hire yourself out for home decorating/design!! Our current style is "Early American Yard Sale", but we're hoping to change styles when we move to TV in about a year. :-)
Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by striveforhealth View Post
Gracie Girl - sounds like you should hire yourself out for home decorating/design!! Our current style is "Early American Yard Sale", but we're hoping to change styles when we move to TV in about a year. :-)
Gracie Girl--Please post before and after photos--Im thinking of shades, versus curtains once we get the hot tub!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrich View Post
We also have Coolaroos. Went to Lowes and picked out the color, then their agent came to our place and measured, we picked up to save the $35 fee, then made an appointment with the installer to have them put up. Custom fit and finish. Paid a flat fee for install. We can see out but difficult to see in except if we have our lanai lights on, then more visible. But that was not the reason why we have them. Lanai faces west and we cook at night along with our dinner. Only issue I have is the way to tie them down to keep from blowing in on windy days.
That is just what we did. Got a message that we need to come in to have the Lowes person tell us the cost today.

Trish...they are custom. I am anxious to know how much they will be and whether I don't think we should pay that much and Sweetie does. (our usual approach to any purchase over a hundred bucks) I will tell you all what they cost.

Installer says to roll them up when it's windy. The options; snaps and velcro don't seem to work as per neighbors. At home we had rattan shades that we held down with something screwed into the frame and we tied the cord to it. This will have a continuous beaded pull on one side only that raises and lowers them. I can't figure out how we can tie them down either. Wind IS an issue here.

I want them, but hate to spend the money.

Gracie the penny pincher.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Sage
Default Like our shades

As Gracie mentioned, we are very happy with our Coolaroos. We use them in the late afternoon when the sun starts shining in our eyes at dinner time. They are custom made, but only come just so wide. Some of our columns are pretty wide and the shade did not come wide enough. There is about a 4"gap on both sides, but works well. We would like ideas on what to put across one of the pool lanai screens for privacy. We had them installed. Not sure a Coolaroo would work because it would be exposed to the rain and that couldn't be good for it. The Coolaroos we have installed now are hung inside the frame of the
Lanai as you go to the pool area. They can't get wet.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

we use a very cheep system at home to keep shades and curtains from blowing in the wind, and for Gracie it is very inexpensive....we use magnets...two in both corners...they hold on to each other thru the shade and the screen.....i use cow magnets very strong and nothing blows them around......
Old 04-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Default Copw magnets? ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
we use a very cheep system at home to keep shades and curtains from blowing in the wind, and for Gracie it is very inexpensive....we use magnets...two in both corners...they hold on to each other thru the shade and the screen.....i use cow magnets very strong and nothing blows them around......
Well, I googled "cow magnets" thinking it was a funny name for something entirely different but no...it's a cow magnet. Apparently cows are indiscriminate eaters and will ingest nails, brads, pieces of baling wire, etc. along with grass and other more digestible green stuff. They thus can suffer from "hardware disease" (honest, I got this off the internet). To stop it, farmers put these magnets in the cow's first stomach to attract the metal stuff and prevent it from going further into the cow's digestive system and causing real problems.

Pictures show them to be round cylinders about 1/2 to 3/4 " in diameter by about 3" long.

How did I reach retirement without ever having heard of this? Maybe it will be a trivia question on game day when I take my next cruise and I'll help my team win the big prize...or not!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
Well, I googled "cow magnets" thinking it was a funny name for something entirely different but no...it's a cow magnet. Apparently cows are indiscriminate eaters and will ingest nails, brads, pieces of baling wire, etc. along with grass and other more digestible green stuff. They thus can suffer from "hardware disease" (honest, I got this off the internet). To stop it, farmers put these magnets in the cow's first stomach to attract the metal stuff and prevent it from going further into the cow's digestive system and causing real problems.

Pictures show them to be round cylinders about 1/2 to 3/4 " in diameter by about 3" long.

How did I reach retirement without ever having heard of this? Maybe it will be a trivia question on game day when I take my next cruise and I'll help my team win the big prize...or not!
omgosh Juneroses. You are smarter than this Cincinnati girl. I was thinking cute little cow refrigerator magnets. This is indeed useful info.

We got the price quoted and paid it. Just over 1000 bucks, but the lanai is 42 ft. long. Now we will see if it was money well spent.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post

cause you didn't grow up around cows...spend every summer on the famlies dairy farm in KY...at the time it was the largest in the state..yep cows eat everything and the magnets just as they were designed to do...as far as i know they are one of the strongest next to the pacer magnet donut...i have those also but the electric blue is not as easy to hide on a screen
Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Sage

Wow - that cow magnet stuff is serious!!! We lived in New Mexico near the university which is heavy into agriculture. They had cows there that had glass plates in their sides so those interested in this sort of thing could follow the digestion process. Called them cow plates. At first I was horrified then found out these cows have the best lives because they are so valuable to university research - go figure!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 AM
Sage

YOU are from Kentucky, Asian Three??? I cannot wait to meet you.

Where do I buy a cow magnet or do I stroll into a field and wait for one them to burp one up?

Oh gross.

Need coffee.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
I was very happy to see this thread and read the positive input. We soon will be removing trees that have provided us with the perfect canopy for shade. With those trees being gone it surely will be an adjustment for us and have been planning to research options for shades. Guess I'll be heading to Lowes tomorrow. Do these Cooleroo Shades come in a variety of widths?
According to Lowe's website, they come in 3 widths. Not all widths come in the same colors. Will have to check the store today for sizes and colors.

BTW, they come with tie-down bungees.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Sage
Smile

you may be able to choose your size and color and have it shipped to the store for pickup. I don't think they charge you for that service. Just in case they don't have your color and size in stock. Go on line to do this.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
According to Lowe's website, they come in 3 widths. Not all widths come in the same colors. Will have to check the store today for sizes and colors.

BTW, they come with tie-down bungees.
We couldn't buy a stock size. We had these custom made because we have sorta strange size screens. Went to Lowes and contracted for them, They called the installer and he came out and measured, they make them, he hangs them. We get a cow to share his magnet and the wind won't blow them around..

We sit there and think..."See Jimbo..site orientation is not everything. Shade can be purchased".

And in the shade we will munch on our burgers and think what lucky folks we are to live here in THE VILLAGES!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Platinum member

Thanks so much for all the great Coolaroo information! I didn't know they came 96" long. I thought they only came in the 'too short' version, and I had no idea they have a measurer and an installer for them. I must have talked to the trainee at the store. You all are the best, & I will happily write a recommendation for anyone who wants to apply for a job at Lowes!

PS: Gracie, while you're sitting in the shade on your lanai munching on your burgers, be sure to check them for magnets.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Sage

LOL gracie///you can buy them online or at a farm supply store for a few bucks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.