Shooting at Applebee's in Lady Lake this morning. (Tuesday).

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2023, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
How do you fight with someone when the door is locked and you are on the other side? This was people talking at one another.
Now you're just making things up...

I'm sure they simply locked the front door. You know, where the shots were fired?

Did you also miss the part where several patrons "escaped"? Apparently that door was at least partly accessible... Maybe it was the "side door", as I doubt they'd run towards the gunshots...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-11-2023, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Murders at up nationwide for the last 3 years. The Villages is a bunch of rich older people SURROUNDED by neighborhoods of angry, JEALOUS have-NOTS. It IS INEVITABLE that there will be increasing crimes and clashes better these 2 groups. I am simply trying to warn older citizens that it is LIKELY that crime increases in the next several years here in OUR Bubble.
........Nationwide, murders are up in the last 3 years. Another problem is that the US has LOST its middle-class which can act as a socially stabilizing force to LOWER violence. Also, nationwide and in Florida Public schools have teachers quitting in DROVES - FORETELLING another removal of a stabilizing social FORCE.
.........I was just down to Rural King and the table where ammo is kept was almost empty. 10 years ago that same table would have been full. There are signs of social instability and potential crime ALL around.
......The Villages is VERY POTENTIALLY vulnerable to violence. It is just a matter of time. I say, better to have a fairly large Police presence and NEVER need them than have a small Police presence that does NOT deter crime in the 1st place.
Lest I repeat myself (I'll leave that for others to do...)

"Crime Rate in The Villages

According to the most recent FBI reports, The Villages are among the safest places to live in Florida. With about 2,116 crimes per 100,000 people, the crime rate in The Villages is about 40% lower than the national average. The violent crime rate is about 41% lower than average as well."

-Tom Petty
Old 03-11-2023, 04:16 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,810 Times in 3,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Lest I repeat myself (I'll leave that for others to do...)

"Crime Rate in The Villages

According to the most recent FBI reports, The Villages are among the safest places to live in Florida. With about 2,116 crimes per 100,000 people, the crime rate in The Villages is about 40% lower than the national average. The violent crime rate is about 41% lower than average as well."
Now you stop that...........................posters don't want facts.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,728 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote:
Murders at up nationwide for the last 3 years. The Villages is a bunch of rich older people SURROUNDED by neighborhoods of angry, JEALOUS have-NOTS. It IS INEVITABLE that there will be increasing crimes and clashes better these 2 groups. I am simply trying to warn older citizens that it is LIKELY that crime increases in the next several years here in OUR Bubble.
........Nationwide, murders are up in the last 3 years. Another problem is that the US has LOST its middle-class which can act as a socially stabilizing force to LOWER violence. Also, nationwide and in Florida Public schools have teachers quitting in DROVES - FORETELLING another removal of a stabilizing social FORCE.
.........I was just down to Rural King and the table where ammo is kept was almost empty. 10 years ago that same table would have been full. There are signs of social instability and potential crime ALL around.
......The Villages is VERY POTENTIALLY vulnerable to violence. It is just a matter of time. I say, better to have a fairly large Police presence and NEVER need them than have a small Police presence that does NOT deter crime in the 1st place.
I've heard this from some other people. Odd thing is, I haven't experienced it. Not even once. It is pretty safe to say that my wife and I probably have more non-Villager friends, than we do IN The Villages. In fact we're taking care of a farm for the next two weeks for a couple who we are friends with, while they are gone. It is a relaxing, refreshing change from Villages life (though in honesty anything more than two weeks would be more suited to a much younger man).

People tend to see what they are conditioned to see. If someone expects to see non-Villagers as "angry, jealous have-nots", then it is pretty sure that that is what they WILL see. For myself, I try to see people for what they are, and not according to some stereotype or other. The locals I've met have been warm, sincere, down-to-earth folks who have a refreshing honesty. Some of them were a bit circumspect upon first meeting (I suppose stereotypes work both ways, and my Minnesota accent is as good as wearing a sign), but it didn't take long at all for that to disappear.

People are people. Ignoring the stereotypes while giving each other the benefit of the doubt is by far the more rewarding way to go.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I've heard this from some other people. Odd thing is, I haven't experienced it. Not even once. It is pretty safe to say that my wife and I probably have more non-Villager friends, than we do IN The Villages. In fact we're taking care of a farm for the next two weeks for a couple who we are friends with, while they are gone. It is a relaxing, refreshing change from Villages life (though in honesty anything more than two weeks would be more suited to a much younger man).

People tend to see what they are conditioned to see. If someone expects to see non-Villagers as "angry, jealous have-nots", then it is pretty sure that that is what they WILL see. For myself, I try to see people for what they are, and not according to some stereotype or other. The locals I've met have been warm, sincere, down-to-earth folks who have a refreshing honesty. Some of them were a bit circumspect upon first meeting (I suppose stereotypes work both ways, and my Minnesota accent is as good as wearing a sign), but it didn't take long at all for that to disappear.

People are people. Ignoring the stereotypes while giving each other the benefit of the doubt is by far the more rewarding way to go.
Nicely put. I have found Minnesotans to usually be friendly. But I have not been there since the blizzard of late 1991.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
This involved a fatality and an argument but the facts are under investigation. One of those involved had a concealed gun carry permit.

Applebee’s patron shoots, kills man inside The Villages restaurant, police say
There are the facts I am working with now. They could change.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

So, I am assuming that you have never met the criminals that stole my $5 K worth of tools. WHEN that happens to someone.......it tends to change their attitude toward criminals. When you yourself are a VICTIM of CRIME, it is MORE DIFFICULT to "turn the other cheek".
.....I am just putting out a message of warning about potential future crime - I can see it in the cards. I don't care who agrees with me or disagrees. I did my PART with the warning!
Old 03-11-2023, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,728 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote:
Nicely put. I have found Minnesotans to usually be friendly. But I have not been there since the blizzard of late 1991.
Oh yeah. The Halloween Blizzard! I lived in Duluth at the time; we had near 40 inches of snow over three days and then the temperature dropped like a rock. For the next four days Sixth Avenue East was the best ski run in the state.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Isn't that called "Minnesota nice"?
Old 03-11-2023, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote:
So, I am assuming that you have never met the criminals that stole my $5 K worth of tools. WHEN that happens to someone.......it tends to change their attitude toward criminals. When you yourself are a VICTIM of CRIME, it is MORE DIFFICULT to "turn the other cheek".
.....I am just putting out a message of warning about potential future crime - I can see it in the cards. I don't care who agrees with me or disagrees. I did my PART with the warning!
As to the concept of turning the other cheek, I prefer the old saying of "once bitten, twice shy".
Old 03-11-2023, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Isn't that called "Minnesota nice"?
Yes. I handled some cases while a law student at the U of MN. These were primarily at the Minnesota Correctional Facility -- Stillwater. Some of these people had committed very nasty crimes but as a law student you need to represent them as best you can. I also supervised a small group of law students after being mentored by another law student. I have a strong interest in victims' rights but had to put that on a back burner. But in some cases it is hard to tell who the victim is. Like this one at Applebee's. Not enough facts available.

Many of the people I met in the five+ years I was in Minnesota were warm. I have met many Villagers who are from Minnesota. And some had gone to the U of MN.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 03-11-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Correct. Just as I'm sure some crime exists outside the "ultra safe" gated community of Lakewood Ranch...
Have no idea of the Lakewood Ranch you are posting about, did you mix up posts?
Old 03-11-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Good post. Our gates ONLY give us an unwarranted feeling of safety. It is like a mirage.
Yes Morse was smart. Because they did Not want the Villages to be closed off. Because through traffic means more opportunities for Sales! People see it, then want to buy (maybe). It’s not gated , it’s open. All you have to do is press the red button (like a clowns nose). Couldn’t resist that!
Old 03-11-2023, 08:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
Yes Morse was smart. Because they did Not want the Villages to be closed off. Because through traffic means more opportunities for Sales! People see it, then want to buy (maybe). It’s not gated , it’s open. All you have to do is press the red button (like a clowns nose). Couldn’t resist that!
We have lived here since June of 2005 and found it quite safe relative to Wildwood, Ocala, Fruitland Park, Orlando and other surrounding areas. I does help that many Villagers are retired military and/or law enforcement and are often armed. But do seem very careful about when they pull their weapons out. The training they received helps. But the wanna-be John Wayne like approach is a bad one. Probably because it kicks the nest of tort lawyers.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Could have been a "Rich Villager" who stole them...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
involved, shooting, facts, carry, concealed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.