Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana old enough for The Villages

Old 03-02-2024, 10:45 AM

There are only a couple of bands here that play hard rock- Ozzy, AC/DC, etc: Penta, Uncle Bob's Rock Shop, and The Deadlanders. The Deadlanders play a combination of Hard Rock and Hard Country. We never cared much for country but they have a very skilled guitarist who plays blistering guitar on all songs and we love it all. Some other hard rock bands that aren't in the squares are, The Edge Of Rock, and The Howlers. The Howlers play every week at City Fire, and The Edge Of Rock plays in clubs in surrounding towns. Relic is often suggested for hard rock but the night we went it was mostly mellow rock- Stevie Wonder, etc. with a few hard rock songs- Aerosmith, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
All I’ve seen are cover bands in the squares. Perhaps you mean tribute bands that only play songs from a single band?

Anyhow I’d love if the music modernized and added some harder rock now and then. I do hear 80s pop/new wave. But some metal now and then would be nice. I don’t expect to hear Slayer any time soon. But Ozzy, AC/DC, Maiden, that would be fun. It’s time for metal Mondays.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
I’d like to hear the Great American Songbook—Sinatra-type music. Or bluegrass. Or old country with a pedal steel guitar. Or bossa nova.
Yes, this!

Also old "MoTown"!
Old 03-02-2024, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,046 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Dont hold your breath. We have been listening to those same tunes in the squares for nearly 20 years! Some of the bands have been around even longer. We go to the squares for a nice walk, chat with friends, watch the sunset, and dinner. We never listen to the music. It is the same ol', same ol', over and over and over! It would be nice if some of the bands learned a new set.
yeah. there's only so many times we can hear tom petty or the doobies, stevie nicks or joan jett. the Hooligan's need a new set/lineup, too. i love them but it's been the same show for the last 2 years or so
Old 03-03-2024, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
…………and maybe noise barrier walls around the squares so as not to drive away folks nearby???
If it's too loud, you're too old......
Old 03-03-2024, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORBILL66 View Post
Go to Orlando. You will find all of that crazy music. They even have Moshpit groups.
The thought of canes and walkers in a mosh pit makes me grin.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
Also old "MoTown"!
👍

Yes
Old 03-03-2024, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorp View Post
Love to see bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, etc to come play at Savannah or Sharon or how about a Villages outdoor concert series at the polo grounds.
The Foo Fighters still fill stadiums...

I doubt they'd play at such a small venue...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-03-2024, 09:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
We can only wish!!! lol. They had a Guns N Roses cover band at the strawberry festival that was really good. But unfortunately they won't be in the rotation.

We really need some fresh, newer music in the rotation. Hearing the same bands, play the same crappy, overplayed songs gets stale.
There are a few that at least mix it up, Relic is one of them.

The Villages is slowly trending younger, and I believe there's people that feel like we do. Altough I'm 67.

Afterall, they have 4 venues to fill 365 days a year. That's 1460 dates. Surely they could add some different, newer stuff.

Old music doesn't always mean good music, and not everyone wants to go down memory lane over and over. Hopefully TV entertainment continues to try new things.
Club 'E' - Epic - Dance Live, at Lake Miona the third Saturday of each month, 6:30 - 8:50, was started as a way to play music videos of current and recent pop (no 'rap') music, but also including some classic pop dance music from the past few decades.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
The Foo Fighters still fill stadiums...

I doubt they'd play at such a small venue...
100% correct. Same with the Pumpkins.

I'd be happy to hear a band just play some of their music.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:01 AM

A couple of months ago I heard somebody singing sweet child o mine at lake Sumter. Gives me hope for the future.

Joe
Old 03-04-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
There are only a couple of bands here that play hard rock- Ozzy, AC/DC, etc: Penta, Uncle Bob's Rock Shop, and The Deadlanders. The Deadlanders play a combination of Hard Rock and Hard Country. We never cared much for country but they have a very skilled guitarist who plays blistering guitar on all songs and we love it all. Some other hard rock bands that aren't in the squares are, The Edge Of Rock, and The Howlers. The Howlers play every week at City Fire, and The Edge Of Rock plays in clubs in surrounding towns. Relic is often suggested for hard rock but the night we went it was mostly mellow rock- Stevie Wonder, etc. with a few hard rock songs- Aerosmith, etc.
We got the chance to see Edge of Rock play at a driveway session in Monarch Grove a few weeks ago. They are a very good band and play a good assortment of classic rock. They even played a song by Head East which you almost never hear. They said that they had submitted a video to the powers that be for consideration to start playing the squares. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,046 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
If it's too loud, you're too old......
oh yeah!! bring on the IronMaiden!!
Old 03-05-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
All I’ve seen are cover bands in the squares. Perhaps you mean tribute bands that only play songs from a single band?

Anyhow I’d love if the music modernized and added some harder rock now and then. I do hear 80s pop/new wave. But some metal now and then would be nice. I don’t expect to hear Slayer any time soon. But Ozzy, AC/DC, Maiden, that would be fun. It’s time for metal Mondays.
I keep wondering if The Villages will ever tap into the Hard Rock / Metal bands of the 70's and 80's. People my age listened to Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Nazareth, Montrose, Blue Oyster Cult, Uriah Heep, etc. from the 70's then Metallica, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Megadeth, etc. from the 80's. At the squares they wouldn't have to play the hardest songs, but there's also ticketed concerts where a band like this would likely draw a much larger crowd than they expect!
Old 03-05-2024, 12:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,763 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
I keep wondering if The Villages will ever tap into the Hard Rock / Metal bands of the 70's and 80's. People my age listened to Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Nazareth, Montrose, Blue Oyster Cult, Uriah Heep, etc. from the 70's then Metallica, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Megadeth, etc. from the 80's. At the squares they wouldn't have to play the hardest songs, but there's also ticketed concerts where a band like this would likely draw a much larger crowd than they expect!
It’s really hard to say. I grew up listening to music in the 70s/80s , and though there was a “subset” that was in to metal music, most were not. Most were into more main-stream and softer rock (Doobie Brothers, Journey, Foreigner, John Cougar, The Police, Duran Duran, Pat Benatar, etc), as well as dance/r&b (Michael Jackson, Pointer Sisters, Earth,Wind &Fire, Rick James, Donna Summer, etc) If you research the Billboard singles and radio play charts of the time, you will see the most popular music of this time was more mainstream. Talking to most people born my age (1960s), Metal and Rap are not the genres they listen to now. I’m not saying there is not a group in The Villages that would support a metal band, I just think it would be more “niche” and would not have wide-support to be profitable or in heavy rotation at the squares.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
It’s really hard to say. I grew up listening to music in the 70s/80s , and though there was a “subset” that was in to metal music, most were not. Most were into more main-stream and softer rock (Doobie Brothers, Journey, Foreigner, John Cougar, The Police, Duran Duran, Pat Benatar, etc), as well as dance/r&b (Michael Jackson, Pointer Sisters, Earth,Wind &Fire, Rick James, Donna Summer, etc) If you research the Billboard singles and radio play charts of the time, you will see the most popular music of this time was more mainstream. Talking to most people born my age (1960s), Metal and Rap are not the genres they listen to now. I’m not saying there is not a group in The Villages that would support a metal band, I just think it would be more “niche” and would not have wide-support to be profitable or in heavy rotation at the squares.
I've always considered myself "a small subset" kind of guy! That said it's interesting listening to the music wafting out of my neighbor's garages and windows and hearing a fair amount of harder rock so I don't feel too terribly alone in my music tastes here. I get no one (or very few) want Hard Rock or Metal blaring out from the squares, but something harder than the music you listed would still be a welcome change. And although everyone loves a Neil Diamond cover band at the Sharon, mixing in something with real amps & guitars would be a welcome change. Not dissing other's tastes in music, just wish mine were catered to a little more often here.

Tags
bands, discuss, squares, cover, smashing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.