Uninsured motorist coverage

Old 05-02-2024, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,808 Times in 5,293 Posts

I have read and I fully understand what uninsured motorist insurance covers and what it does not cover. It is mostly, but not completely, redundant with my health insurance. In my situation, I would never file a claim for this insurance, so, to me, it would be a waste of money. For the expenses that it covers, I can afford to self insure. So, I choose to not pay for it and save a few hundred dollars. I would suggest that everyone research and understand what you are paying for because most people I have discussed this with do not understand the coverage. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustnotes View Post
No no no, don't listen to the people that say skip the uninsured and under insured motorist coverage. I was an insurance agent for forty years and we always added UM/UIM to the policy. With more and more drivers going around with no insurance or the state minimum coverage you need to carry UM/UIM. I have seen claims paid under both conditions and for the person that got into an accident that was not their fault and was suing the driver that was at fault which had no insurance it is nearly impossible to recover any money. Look if they don't bother to carry insurance you can bet they don't have many assets to go after. Look at the premium for the UM/UIM and decide is it worth it to have protection in a law suit if the at fault drive does not carry insurance or his insurance is inadequate? You buy auto insurance to protect you from liability claim in case you make an error in driving and you get sued. Why in the world would you not want to have the same coverage if the other driver makes an error and you are busted up and can no longer do the same functions that you did before the accident. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, enough said!
Perfectly said
Old 05-02-2024, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,808 Times in 5,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Perfectly said
What the cited post fails to mention is how much the UM claims paid out are for medical bills for people who have inadequate or no medical insurance, and for lost wages. So, how much of your UM premium is targeted for paying medical bills and lost wages for others that a retired person with excellent medical insurance would never be responsible for? Do the math before buying UM insurance.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,800 Times in 736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
What the cited post fails to mention is how much the UM claims paid out are for medical bills for people who have inadequate or no medical insurance, and for lost wages. So, how much of your UM premium is targeted for paying medical bills and lost wages for others that a retired person with excellent medical insurance would never be responsible for? Do the math before buying UM insurance.

Some people like Russian Roulette, others.. not so much. You've reiterated your stance many times even though other's have spoken about actual situations. They described people dealing with the affects of UM decisions, which have either saved their butts or ravaged their lives, depending on their choice.

Don't blame all insurance agents, quite often customers want to cheap out and save their nickels believing they will never need the coverage.

I, personally, am not impressed with your agent(s) after your tale regarding her (them). Agents wanting to beat a competing bid will sometimes cut coverages to close the deal. I'm not saying that's what happened to you, however, it happens more often than it should. But that's your choice.

We've worked long and hard for our retirement funds, we're not willing to dole them out in that manner of being under insured.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan1 View Post
Um in Florida does not cover physical damage to your vehicle. That would be covered under your collision, subject to your deductible.

UM covers only if other party is at fault. Covers for bodily injury to you and passengers in your vehicle. It also covers rehab and nursing home. Your health insurance (major medical, Group Medical, Medicare and Medicaid.) Remember that most health insurance has a maximum amount of days they will pay for rehab and nursing home. Other party may not have bodily injury (not required in Florida) or they may not have enough coverage to pay for injuries caused due to their fault.

There are two type's coverages of UM in Florida. Stacked and non-stacked.

Stacked has coverage that many are not aware of. Under Florida law stacked uninsured motorist will extend and cover you on a motorcycle and a motor home. So if you have stacked on your auto, you do not need to buy on motorcycle um or motor home um policies because you already have the coverage under your stacked um on your auto.

If you have non stacked, the coverage does not extend.

If you insure more than one auto insured and you have stacked, your coverage amount would be more.

Example, stacked um, one auto insured and you have 100/000 per person up to 300,00 per accident, that is maximum pay out.

If you have two autos insured with 100/300 stacked limits, the actual coverage is 200,000 per person up to 600,000 per accident.

Minimum coverage offered in Florida is 10,000 per person up to 20,000 per accident. You can buy lower um limits and higher bodily injury limits.

Anytime a licensed agent or a customer service representative tells you that you don’t need certain coverage, make sure you understand what that means.
One other thing….look at insurance as the worst investment you will ever have. Why, no one wants to ever have a claim, but if you do you will be happy that it is covered and the best investment you made.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,986 Times in 2,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustnotes View Post
No no no, don't listen to the people that say skip the uninsured and under insured motorist coverage. I was an insurance agent for forty years and we always added UM/UIM to the policy. With more and more drivers going around with no insurance or the state minimum coverage you need to carry UM/UIM. I have seen claims paid under both conditions and for the person that got into an accident that was not their fault and was suing the driver that was at fault which had no insurance it is nearly impossible to recover any money. Look if they don't bother to carry insurance you can bet they don't have many assets to go after. Look at the premium for the UM/UIM and decide is it worth it to have protection in a law suit if the at fault drive does not carry insurance or his insurance is inadequate? You buy auto insurance to protect you from liability claim in case you make an error in driving and you get sued. Why in the world would you not want to have the same coverage if the other driver makes an error and you are busted up and can no longer do the same functions that you did before the accident. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, enough said!
Then why am I getting insurance if don’t cover me? Funny how I got have insurance but it won’t cover me when in accident. O wait I didn’t read fine print.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,347 Times in 610 Posts

A fairly objective review of UM insurance.

What Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage? – Forbes Advisor
Old 05-03-2024, 08:22 PM
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
asking Judy................she/he is saying i must have um if i want my car covered
UM does not cover physical damage under UM in Florida. Only Bodily Injury

Last edited by Gatorfan1; 05-03-2024 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan1 View Post
UM does not cover physical damage under UM in Florida. Only Bodily Injury
OK remind me of the difference between Physical damage and bodily injury. Somewhere during my 40 years of practicing personal injruy defense, they seemed to me to be the same.
And just so it's clear, when someone is neglgent and causes and injury to you, you are entitled to recover damages which are normaly medical bills, last wages and pain and suffering. Most of us are not working so last wages is not an issue. For the most part we have medical coverage. However if, you're painfully injured, and have to spend weeks or months in rehab or just mending, you're entitled to be paid for that. Often the award is in the tens or hundereds of thousands. (Ask Dan Newland) If the other driver is uninsured, you would recover little if anyting from him since most don't have much to recover from. With UM/UIN your own insurance company steps in and provides the other driver with insurance you can collect from.
All of the post here from individuals who really know insurance and personal injury recommend it. I do too.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:46 PM
Default UM in Florida does not cover Property Damage to your auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalloy View Post
OK remind me of the difference between Physical damage and bodily injury. Somewhere during my 40 years of practicing personal injruy defense, they seemed to me to be the same.
And just so it's clear, when someone is neglgent and causes and injury to you, you are entitled to recover damages which are normaly medical bills, last wages and pain and suffering. Most of us are not working so last wages is not an issue. For the most part we have medical coverage. However if, you're painfully injured, and have to spend weeks or months in rehab or just mending, you're entitled to be paid for that. Often the award is in the tens or hundereds of thousands. (Ask Dan Newland) If the other driver is uninsured,
would recover little if anyting from him since most don't have much to recover from. With UM/UIN your own insurance company steps in and provides the other driver with insurance you can collect from.
All of the post here from individuals who really know insurance and personal injury recommend it. I do too.
Property damage to your auto is covered under comprehensive or collision if the other party does not have insurance or if they do not have sufficient limits to pay for the damage.

Tags
uninsured, motorist, cover, wages, loss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.