What changes would you make at The Market at Sawgrass Grove?

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2022, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapX View Post
Developer sells houses because of the amenities. House sales are where the huge profits come from. Developer needs to look at the big picture. Make sawgrass into somewhere people really want to go to. That draws people here to buy those thousands of new houses.
Fix the acoustics, seating, etc. That's easy. Developer should give something back to all the residents and fix the high prices with providing free rent.
An amenity like Sawgrass should be something that attracts home buyers. It's not doing that. Quite the opposite.
Lot of assumptions here, based on reading a handful of complainers on TOTV.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:00 AM
Default A Food Court... but NOT Food Court Prices

They didn't build a "market", they built a food court. Yes, you have Villages Grown (overpriced) and will have a butcher shop (probably overpriced), but the rest is a food court.. with plastic cups and paper plates. Maybe they should have contracted with a Portillo's type place... good hot dogs, beef sandwiches, chicken and Italian, to run this place. I would go there for that!
Old 09-15-2022, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,223 Times in 5,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweisheipl View Post
Once music starts, you won’t be able to get near the place. Wait and see! There sure are a boatload of old crotchety complainers here in TV.
Could be but also possible people come listen for a set or two and than go elsewhere for dinner.

Time will tell.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:59 AM

It seems that this is supposed to be something closer to Edna's than a town square. In that sense it may pick up when there is entertainment. Fix the indoor noise issue, and as vendors struggle to compete with their prices, bring in lower priced vendors.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:07 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,421 Times in 1,464 Posts

I don't recall Sawgrass ever being touted as a square. One thing for sure in about 2 months when most of the part timers are back prices, payment options, and seating are not going to be an issue as that place will be packed every day. It's a great asset for those of us that chose to live down here and we now look forward to the "REAL" square that they will be building even further south. In the mean time we'll keep Paddock Square going too.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Betting on a captive audience like Disney. Limited options golf cart accessible down there. Customers will determine their success or not.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Since the seating area is a shared space (like a food court), who would be responsible for busing the tables, washing the dishes and glasses and restocking the vendors?

I can't comment on the chairs or sound proofing, since I haven't been there since they opened...
With respect to the busing - during our visit we did see a dedicated person cleaning the tables. All of those around us who were eating did shuttle their trash into a bin - just as we did - prior to leaving. I did not see any abandoned tables littered with packaging/utensils.

I can't say if the busing person was on alert waiting to clean tables as soon as they vacated or if the person walks the floor every so often to bus.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wonder why this did not become the fourth town square?
Seems like there is not nearly the amount of land at Sawgrass that there is in the town squares. There isn't even enough parking at Sawgrass. We went there once and will not be going back.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Wondering if those who complain about prices too high, was the same clientele that sat in KB’s with a glass of water for 3 hours
Old 09-15-2022, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweisheipl View Post
Once music starts, you won’t be able to get near the place. Wait and see! There sure are a boatload of old crotchety complainers here in TV.
Wonder if the popular bands will play at Sawgrass. Johnny Wild and Rocky come to mind. Is there room for those type of crowds?
Old 09-15-2022, 10:33 AM
Default Sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Interesting question. I would start by suggesting that we don't even know if it's broken. The fact that some people have stated they didn't like it doesn't mean that it won't function eventually just the way the developer envisioned. Nobody will know how successful it will be until at least one snowbird season has come and gone. There may be plenty of people who will patronize it, and support it, just the way it is.

I'm not in the food services business, and I haven't even been to the place yet, but from what I've read on TOTV, I think they have to make a choice between inexpensive fast food delivery, or charging enough to allow them to serve food worth eating, on real plates, with real knives and forks and glasses. It reads to me as if they are charging a premium for the thrill of being in the facility, but not serving food that is worth the premium compared to the food and cost of going to a decent restaurant outside the bubble.
That might work at a sports venue, but I think the "thrill" of being in the Sawgrass facility will wear off very fast if the food and service isn't worth the cost.
You state that you have not been there yet. It’s very hard to give an opinion about something if you have not seen it personally. I have been there. I will never go back again it was a complete waste of time. Unlike the other squares it does not have a bunch of small shops that you can meander in and out of. It is just an oversized food court
Old 09-15-2022, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Betting on a captive audience like Disney. Limited options golf cart accessible down there. Customers will determine their success or not.
Have you been down there?
Old 09-15-2022, 11:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Seems like there is not nearly the amount of land at Sawgrass that there is in the town squares. There isn't even enough parking at Sawgrass. We went there once and will not be going back.
Never?
Old 09-15-2022, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,856 Times in 3,690 Posts

Quote:
Is there room for those type of crowds?
self regulating

Old 09-15-2022, 11:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Wonder if the popular bands will play at Sawgrass. Johnny Wild and Rocky come to mind. Is there room for those type of crowds?
Venue too small for the popular square bands. Doubt if Sawgrass was ever intended for those bands.
They will be playing at the new town square.

Tags
make, market, sawgrass, grove, owned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.