To brine or not to brine? That is the question…..one of ‘em.)

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2022, 01:51 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts
Default To brine or not to brine? That is the question…..one of ‘em.)

Here I am at almost 2:00 AM, reading articles on the internet about cooking the perfect turkey……..

T’Day is exactly one week away, and it’s at our house. I am fine with having it at our house, but I must admit to being completely intimidated by THE TURKEY.

I have ordered a fresh one, so that’s a start.

People are bringing all kinds of good things, and the Army taught Mr. Boomer to peel potatoes really fast. (I guess he did that when he was not busy jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.)

BUT my turkey angst is getting the best of me tonight.

To brine or not to brine? Actually, any turkey roasting secrets or suggestions from TOTVland will be very appreciated. (Yeah, I know. We shoulda left town.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-17-2022 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,733 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Here I am at almost 2:00 AM, reading articles on the internet about cooking the perfect turkey……..

T’Day is exactly one week away, and it’s at our house. I am fine with having it at our house, but I must admit to being completely intimidated by THE TURKEY.

People are bringing all kinds of good things, and the Army taught Mr. Boomer to peel potatoes really fast. (I guess he did that when he was not busy jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.)

To brine or not to brine? Actually, any turkey roasting secrets or suggestions from TOTVland will be very appreciated. (Yeah, I know. We shoulda left town.)

Boomer
Absolutely! Brine for 24 hours before cooking. Then roast immediately.

Couple of other hints…

Season by rubbing your choice of seasoning mixed with soft butter under the skin of the breast. It is loose enough to get your hand between the skin and the breast meat. We use salt, pepper, and sage. Poultry seasoning works too. Rub liberally onto the breast meat just before roasting.

Do NOT stuff the bird with stuffing. Cook the stuffing separately instead. My wife puts a small onion (quartered) onto the cavity alone with a couple of crushed garlic cloves and a sprig of fresh sage (1 stem, leaves stay whole). The cavity stuffing if for aromatic purposes only. Toss out when done.

Roast to a temp. Of 165 degrees f. Take the temp. By inserting you thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh meat, NOT the breast. Parts of a whole turkey cook to different temps, and cooking to that thigh temp. Insures doneness.

Let the turkey rest (out of the oven) for 15 minutes before carving.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:26 AM

Definitely brine…..use a meat thermometer to cook properly.

Where did you get a fresh turkey? Please share.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,486 Times in 2,560 Posts

Gave up on turkey when roasting tray had water and not dripping as the leftover.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post

They had them Tuesday at the neighborhood Walmart on Heald Way, across from the milk case. Of course, they may not still be there, given the hordes that shop that store.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:27 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post

I am not in TV right now. I am back in Ohio where I ordered it at a meat market/butcher shop. I am picking it up on Tuesday afternoon because Wednesday will be even more of a zoo of a line.

I think there is a meat market in Wildwood and there might be one in Belleview, but I have never been to either of them. You might want to give them a call or maybe someone here on TOTV will know where to get a fresh turkey and help with more information than I can give you.

Good luck.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-17-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Boomer
BEST turkey I ever made was a fresh turkey (Amish) and brined with Martha Stewart's brine recipe-was hard to fine juniper berries but I did.

WORST turkey I ever made was also a Martha recipe of basting with wine and butter. My oven door was loose and both my sisters were in the kitchen basting, tasting the wine, basting, opening the oven door to check, tasting the wine....as you can guess after several trips to the gas station for more white wine and butter, the turkey was still undercooked when everything else was long past ready. And my guests were too tipsy to give a fig.

So my advice-brine that turkey and keep your sisters out of the kitchen. And give thanks. And buy your wine by the case.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,335 Posts

Have always had a brine Turkey since my childhood. Maybe because early years they were wild, then raised on the farm. Never name your poultry on a farm, eventually it’s Sunday supper.

In the 50’s brine was simple brine of sugar or honey and salt. Now it’s fresh juices, herbs, and always sugar and salt. It’s moist, and very flavorful. Since we are in 4 different states, one picks the brine, and everyone uses that brine. Picture’s abound.

Trader Joe’s for years had fresh brine Turkey, usually organic. Stopping Sunday to see what is available.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:52 AM
Sage
Default Best Turkey Advice

Jenn Segal is one of my favorite on-line recipe sources. Some good advice for all us angst-sufferers: My Best Turkey Advice
Old 11-17-2022, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,768 Posts

I slow roast my fresh turkey, unbrined, but stuffed (I like the turkey juices that flavor the stuffing when it is inside the turkey) overnight.

To slow roast a turkey, you'll bake it in a very slow oven over a period of several hours - typically 8 to 12, depending on the size of the bird. And this long, slow process results in impossibly tender meat that literally falls off the bone, a golden, deep flavor, and crisp brown skin.

A turkey needs to cook about 30 minutes per pound at 250 F, and should reach a safe internal temperature of 165 F before serving.

I also make gravy from the turkey drippings in the pan - which is salted - to pour on roasted garlic, buttermilk mash potatoes as well as the turkey on the plate so each person can season according to their taste.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,523 Posts

Most turkeys that you purchase today are already brined in the package. If you read the label, you will see a percentage of water, broth, etc. Butterball turkeys are definitely full of water/butter (and you pay for it in weight).
If you want a tasty Turkey, I usually inject a cajon mixture and mix spices with butter and put plenty UNDER the skin. You can make room under the skin by using a large spoon and sliding it up under the skin under the breast, and even work it under the legs if you wish. But, like I said before, most turkeys are already bined if you find them packaged in sealed plastic.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,332 Times in 389 Posts

Swanson Turkey Dinner...was good back then, even better today.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

I like to brine the turkey in salt water and apple juice over night, also like to inject the white meat with apple juice and honey.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:28 AM

I go with a low and slow method of cooking the turkey. I add a butter cinnamon mixture and rub that all over the bird inside and out, stuff the turkey with your favorite stuffing, mine is a cornbread mixture with added onions, garlic and some ground pork (brown it first). It comes out moist with a nice crisp skin.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:47 AM

Yes brine as it makes for the most juicy bird and it works for however you plan to cook (roast, bake, grill or smoke). A 24 hour brine is the best but if you can’t do the 24 you could always inject. I know it’s late in the game but I usually practice with a whole chicken to master the technique and then go for the gold with a nice butterball turkey.
Brine = salt, pepper corns, sugar, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, lemon, and of course water.

Good luck
Closed Thread

Tags
brine, turkey, house, good, boomer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.