Coronavirus spreads through breathing/talking

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 04-05-2020, 01:48 PM
RockyMountainMan RockyMountainMan is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Experts tell White House virus can spread through talking or even just breathing

(CNN)A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.

Coronavirus can spread through talking or breathing, prestigious panel tells White House - CNN

Based on what I have seen of villagers ignoring guidelines, I predict more than 1000 cases confirmed here sometime in April. White House will probably recommend some kind of mask when going out to shop etc. I agree, this stuff is more contagious than thought.

White House task force could soon recommend Americans wear masks - CNNPolitics
After spending 30 years in the operating room, trust me when I tell you a regular surgical mask, cotton garment, etc. does not prevent virus from entering your nose or mouth. A virus is 1000 times smaller than the smallest bacteria. A virus passing through a surgical mask is like a moped passing through the opening in the Holland Tunnel. Surgical masks are used to prevent the Surgeon and staff from passing bacteria from themselves to the patient's tissue during surgery. By all means, wear one...it may make you feel better, but it won't protect you from getting a virus. And no, there's no such thing as "a little protection is better than no protection." It either stops the virus or it doesn't. Don't waste your time or money and don't give me the stink-eye when I show up at Publix without a mask.
  #47  
Old 04-05-2020, 02:07 PM
GoodLife's Avatar
GoodLife GoodLife is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,755
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMan View Post
After spending 30 years in the operating room, trust me when I tell you a regular surgical mask, cotton garment, etc. does not prevent virus from entering your nose or mouth. A virus is 1000 times smaller than the smallest bacteria. A virus passing through a surgical mask is like a moped passing through the opening in the Holland Tunnel. Surgical masks are used to prevent the Surgeon and staff from passing bacteria from themselves to the patient's tissue during surgery. By all means, wear one...it may make you feel better, but it won't protect you from getting a virus. And no, there's no such thing as "a little protection is better than no protection." It either stops the virus or it doesn't. Don't waste your time or money and don't give me the stink-eye when I show up at Publix without a mask.
Don't worry, I won't give you stink eye cuz I don't go to grocery stores anymore, strictly pickup now. I agree surgical masks won't protect you but S Korea certainly has some of the best results flattening the curve in the world because they advised all citizens to wear masks.
  #48  
Old 04-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,886
Thanks: 531
Thanked 1,958 Times in 849 Posts
Default

About surgical masks, what about if someone sneezes/coughs suddenly as they pass you?
  #49  
Old 04-05-2020, 02:49 PM
GoodLife's Avatar
GoodLife GoodLife is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,755
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
About surgical masks, what about if someone sneezes/coughs suddenly as they pass you?
The whole point about advising public to wear masks is to limit virus spread by undiagnosed carriers, which could be you or anyone you encounter. Should have been done weeks ago.
  #50  
Old 04-05-2020, 04:48 PM
RockyMountainMan RockyMountainMan is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I guess I must not have explained myself good enough. The mask DOES NOT prevent or stop a virus from entering or exiting your mouth and/or you nose! If I have the virus and don't know it, and I cough, sneeze, talk or breath on you, it doesn't matter whether I'm wearing a mask or not, the virus will fly through the holes in the mask faster than Sherman went through Atlanta.
  #51  
Old 04-05-2020, 05:18 PM
npwalters's Avatar
npwalters npwalters is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 542
Thanks: 3
Thanked 700 Times in 200 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianalea View Post
Doctors and nurses are still getting sick because there are not enough masks so they have to wear the same mask over and over, thereby increasing the risk of contamination.
Do you know this to be true? I know for a fact it is not true in any of the 3 hospitals my daughter, daughter in law, and sister in law work in . They change masks between each patient.
__________________
Pam&Nick
  #52  
Old 04-05-2020, 05:24 PM
npwalters's Avatar
npwalters npwalters is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 542
Thanks: 3
Thanked 700 Times in 200 Posts
Default

The nurses in my family posit the reason medical personnel are getting sick is due to touching contaminated surfaces and then inadvertently touching their face, mouth or eyes. They think very few cases (if any) are passed through a mask.
__________________
Pam&Nick
  #53  
Old 04-05-2020, 05:30 PM
chet2020 chet2020 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 173
Thanks: 110
Thanked 181 Times in 83 Posts
Default

I have converted to wearing a home-made mask in grocery stores, etc. This is my reasoning. Yes, a virus by itself will pass through a surgical or home-made mask. But the virus also resides in droplets emitted by sneezing and coughing. A home-made mask will catch the droplets, which are much larger than the virus itself.

There is also a line of thought that a large "dose" of virus leads to a worse outcome than a small dose. Seems to me a droplet would contain a large dose of virus, so at least I am avoiding that. It also reminds me not to touch my face.

Someone here posted a video of the "Fauci of South Korea," that convinced me. It's not a cure-all and I do not judge people who don't choose to wear a mask.
  #54  
Old 04-05-2020, 05:46 PM
Hoosierb4 Hoosierb4 is offline
Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 89
Thanks: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMan View Post
I guess I must not have explained myself good enough. The mask DOES NOT prevent or stop a virus from entering or exiting your mouth and/or you nose! If I have the virus and don't know it, and I cough, sneeze, talk or breath on you, it doesn't matter whether I'm wearing a mask or not, the virus will fly through the holes in the mask faster than Sherman went through Atlanta.
I suspect that you would be right if the virus was "flying" by itself. But, I suspect that the vast majority of viruses expelled with a cough or sneeze are carried within a small drop of liquid, which probably would be stopped. If so, the masks would do some good. I'm going to follow the guidelines given by the government experts...and I hope that you do too.
  #55  
Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 PM
karostay's Avatar
karostay karostay is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conn/Maine /
Posts: 2,689
Thanks: 103
Thanked 1,246 Times in 473 Posts
Default

More expert advise from online U
__________________
Don't take life Too Serious ..It isn't permanent
Closed Thread

Tags
white, house, breathing, research, mask

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.