Purchasing ¼ or ½ cow for meat

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
The Marion Co youth fair is coming up. It is an excellent place to buy a steer or lamb or hog. You bid on them it helps the kids and you know the animals were raised right.
A bit about the Youth Fair, whether you want to go buy a cow or not (I grew up on farm and still love ag families and their 4H and FFA kids so much). We also enjoy going to Sumter County Fair, Home - Sumter County Fair , which is coming up shortly. It has a midway and live entertainment whereas Marion is traditional and focused on livestock.

Marion Youth Fair History

We are the oldest all-youth Fair in the country that continues to operate without a midway.
We are the largest all-youth Fair event in the State of Florida.
We are proud of the fact that many of our donations are returned to the exhibitors as scholarships and awards.
Our Steer Show, the foundation of our Fair, began in 1941.
The Youth Fair, as we know it today, officially began in 1978.
1978 was also the start of our Beef Heifer, Dog Obedience, Dairy & Meat Goat, Garden, Home Arts, Horse, Kitchen, Poultry, Rabbit, and Swine Show, our largest animal show.
In 2004 we showcased our first Dog Agility Show.
We have over 200 volunteers, whose time is valued at over $50,000, that provide almost 4,000 hours to our program.
We are able to provide this event because of the dedicated efforts of our volunteers, and the generous donations of local businesses and individuals in our community.

We are out of the bubble and in surrounding communities a lot, and it is good for our spirits to be around families, young adults and seniors from the local communities. good folks!

This is the link for the Citrus County Fair coming up in Inverness, another great area a short drive away with good restaurants, boating, fishing, hiking. Citrus County Fair
Old 02-15-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager View Post
Good Day,

Years ago, we would purchase ¼ to ½ cow for meat. We are thinking about doing it again, especially with meat prices going so high. Does anyone have a suggestion for a place or ranch that sells this that's near The Villages? Thanks in advance!
I belong to a meat producer Facebook group. These three producers were listed nearby.

Business Name: VanWagner Cattle
Phone: 3524273729
email: Danalvanwagner@gmail.com

Business Name: Deb Pedone
Phone: 352-279-2038

Business Name: Chop N Block
Phone: 863.528.7068
Baxter Troutman
3611 Cypress Gardens Rd
Winter Haven, Florida
Old 02-15-2022, 10:07 AM
Default Golfingchuck p

Retired guy123. - FYI - cows are not butchered for meat- steers are!
Old 02-15-2022, 10:43 AM

You might try these folks, if they don’t maybe know others.
Home - Pasture Prime Family Farm LLC - Pasture Prime Family Farm LLC

I always hate it when I go to a website and CANNOT FIND a companies location. Before looking further I want to know who/where I am dealing with AND COMPANIES HIDE THAT.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:49 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts
Talking I'm still laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4vt View Post
Back in the mid 80’s cows, orange groves and crops were everywhere on both sides of 27 down through here… Progress has sucked over the last 75 years!
"Progress has sucked over the last 75 years!"

I know, right? If only TV had quit building 75 years ago, things would be so much better still being able to get your own steaks/hamburger from the back porch. And don't even get me started on how much worse the internet is these days - than it was 75 years ago. It just sucks! LOL
Old 02-15-2022, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,396 Times in 5,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckndianne View Post
Curious, so what do they do with old cows?
Old 02-15-2022, 11:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Curious, so what do they do with old cows?
You are correct Stu visit any dairy farm once a cow stops producing quality milk it's sent to the slaughterhouse for processing.
There is no mythical farm for old cows.

Last edited by Dana1963; 02-15-2022 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 02-15-2022, 01:13 PM
Default Do not purchase from florida fresh meats

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager View Post
Good Day,

Years ago, we would purchase ¼ to ½ cow for meat. We are thinking about doing it again, especially with meat prices going so high. Does anyone have a suggestion for a place or ranch that sells this that's near The Villages? Thanks in advance!
Whatever you do, DO NOT purchase from Florida Fresh Meats. I made the disastors decision to purchase from this company and I am 100% unhappy with the purchase.
1. They will claim they will cut the meat according to your cutting instructions. They DO NOT.
2. The hamburger in our order I requested to be a minimum of 85% lean, it is 65% or less lean. It is so fatty that there are hamburger dishes I would like to make that this hamburger for which cannot be used.
3. I've had to recut the stew meat because the pieces the way the cut the stew meat were 3-inch cubes.
4. The roasts were not even close to the 3-pound size I requested. There are some that are less than 2 pounds and others greater than 5 pounds.
5. I requested the steaks be 1 1/4 inches thick, they are less than an inch thick.
6. They did not cut the cow into the cuts I had requested. They did whatever they wanted with no regards to my cutting instructions.

Pretty much none of cutting instructions were followed. When I initially contacted them with the issues, the owner said that "He'd make things right and I'd be happy." Well, that was the last time I heard from them and repeated requests for contact have been unanswered. You do not want to do business with this unethical incompetent company!

I’ve been purchasing whole and half cows for over a decade and this is beyond the worst butcher shop I've ever delt with. STAY AWAY!
Old 02-15-2022, 03:09 PM

I know a place in Ellijay Georgia if you want to drive for 7 1/2 hours to get it.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:53 PM
Default former producer

For years, I produced and sold gourmet lowlife Angus for sale by the side. My meat was grass fed and fattened late on corn.
Some things to consider: 1) My biggest problem was finding customers with space in their freezer for more than 300 pounds of beef. 2) It is relatively easy to buy a steer to butcher. To get the best price you go to a livestock auction and bid on one. Then you have to get it to a butcher. 3) In Indiana, butchers had to be licensed and inspected by the FDA. Florida may be different, but you may not want to have your meat butchered by the rancher, even if it is legal. 4) Not all beef is the same. Bulls and retired dairy cows are ground for hamburger. To get the best beef know your livestock or the rancher. 5) The best beef is hung and aged for some time before being cut and frozen. Not all butchers will do that for you. 6) Think about the parts you may not want, the brains, tongue, heart, etc. The butcher should dispose of the skin, bones etc. If you want to but less -- sides are the same, but the front and back have different cuts on them. In either case you need a partner or partners to share in the purchase. 7) I, of course, ate my own beef, but after a year or so, you will have some meat left that was not your first choice. You may be tired of hamburger or chuck roast by then. 8) I also grew gourmet hogs, and I found pork a be a better choice. There is not so much and the variety from bacon, sausage, to roast and chops was greater.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:44 PM

Just stock up on meat when it is on sale!!
Old 02-15-2022, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

My parents used to buy half of a cow. A lot of good cuts but a ton of hamburger and some parts that were less desirable. They stopped after their second one, and I learned from their experience to load up on sale what I like at the butcher.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

Not a good idea , too many cuts you probably have left over after you have eaten the”good ones” Winn Dixie a good choice for chuck ,shoulder roasts on sale, we like Sam’s Club ribeyes, or any Choice angus ribeye. FreshMarket sale on ground chuck .Other cuts as your menu needs just buy them.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:48 PM

Something to consider is do you want grass fed / grass finished beef? Grain finished beef has a lot more fat and you loose Omega's. I would also recommend the butcher vac seal the meat, this will allow you to keep it longer (years) without freezer burn.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckndianne View Post
Both steers and heifers are slaughtered for beef. In general, meat from steers is considered better than that from heifers. Best slaughter weight is between 1100-1400 pounds.
Closed Thread

Tags
meat, cow, purchasing, suggestion, place

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.