United Airlines

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2023, 06:53 PM
Default United Airlines

Starting last week, United has a new boarding process. After first and business classes, they board window, middle and then aisle seats. They say this will speed things along and claim a savings of around 3 minutes since people don’t have to get up to seat people. I always get an aisle seat. Well, on my outbound flight, the middle and window people in my row arrived after I had been seated so I still had to move. No big deal. The big problem is that even though aisle seats cost more and we’ve paid for the privilege of stowing a carry on, by the time we’re allowed to board all of the bin space is gone. On both flights, all aisle passengers had to check their carryons. On my return flight, some of the middle seats also had to check their bags. Perhaps they need to rethink things.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
Starting last week, United has a new boarding process. After first and business classes, they board window, middle and then aisle seats. They say this will speed things along and claim a savings of around 3 minutes since people don’t have to get up to seat people. I always get an aisle seat. Well, on my outbound flight, the middle and window people in my row arrived after I had been seated so I still had to move. No big deal. The big problem is that even though aisle seats cost more and we’ve paid for the privilege of stowing a carry on, by the time we’re allowed to board all of the bin space is gone. On both flights, all aisle passengers had to check their carryons. On my return flight, some of the middle seats also had to check their bags. Perhaps they need to rethink things.
Actually enforce the existing carry on rules and see what happens. Too many people rolling suitcases down the aisle.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-08-2023, 07:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,306 Times in 564 Posts

If the Airlines quit charging for Check-in luggage….that would make boarding easier.. I sure miss eating prime Rib in First Class … and being served a drink from a fifth bottle…
Old 11-08-2023, 07:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,107 Times in 303 Posts

The goal of every American airline is not transportation, but merely to discover new ways to torment their fellow citizens in most petty manner possible. Spirit used to lead the pack in this regard, but United believes that this new innovation of charging more for aisle seats while giving all the luggage space to the window seats will vault them into the lead.

It seems like they started this nonsense in earnest about 15 years ago, but they've actually hated us ever since we ended their sweetheart deal with the gooberment back in the 70's. Most businesses value customers, but this pack of geniuses wonder why they perpetually teeter on the edge of bankruptcy while the bulk of their customers would rather drive three days than expose themselves to 5 hours torment at the hands of an airline and their cohorts at the TSA -- and pay three times the cost for the privilege.

Much like the dumbass insurance companies, who flee Florida when they discover that there aren't enough Villagers to fleece so they can offer cut-rate insurance to beach-dwellers, there has never been an airline executive bright enough to discover that if he just quit abusing his customers, he'd drive all the competing dungeon masters out of business, and make up on volume what he lost in baggage fees.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I agree with you, but I think it would be more productive if passengers contacted the United CEO directly to let them know your concerns. I personally think the luggage bins should be first come first served.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,729 Times in 1,547 Posts

Boarding a flight in Taoyuan International Airport (Taipei) made the most sense. We had to change planes there for Bangkok. 747 as I recall. I forget the airline but the instructions were basically "OK, you can board now". I think the folks with seats on the upper level got to board first, but after that it was basically get in the boarding lines and get on the airplane. Surprisingly little confusion and people were polite, plus it took only 15-20 minutes to board the entire airplane. Of course it is a different culture and probably wouldn't work over here.

Some airlines do tend to over-complicate things though: One of the worst: flying Frontier from Orlando to Las Vegas. Frontier charges for "personal bags" if over a certain size so there was this line with people holding bags waiting to be cleared for boarding by the Bag Nazi, a ponderous woman with a face like a bulldog. Definitely not someone to mess with. Each person had to put their bag in a wooden box. If it fit (nothing beyond the top or beyond the cutouts in each end of the box) you could board. Otherwise you were sent to another counter for all to see, to stand in a very slow line waiting to pay (as I recall) $99 for the privilege of taking your bag onto the airplane. There was also a board with a big message sort of along the lines of "please DO NOT cause delays by trying to get an oversize bag onto the flight" or words to that effect. Public shaming. Sort of like a penalty box in hockey. It was a zoo: I've never seen such confusion boarding an airplane.

Never again.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:37 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
The goal of every American airline is not transportation, but merely to discover new ways to torment their fellow citizens in most petty manner possible. Spirit used to lead the pack in this regard, but United believes that this new innovation of charging more for aisle seats while giving all the luggage space to the window seats will vault them into the lead.

It seems like they started this nonsense in earnest about 15 years ago, but they've actually hated us ever since we ended their sweetheart deal with the gooberment back in the 70's. Most businesses value customers, but this pack of geniuses wonder why they perpetually teeter on the edge of bankruptcy while the bulk of their customers would rather drive three days than expose themselves to 5 hours torment at the hands of an airline and their cohorts at the TSA -- and pay three times the cost for the privilege.

Much like the dumbass insurance companies, who flee Florida when they discover that there aren't enough Villagers to fleece so they can offer cut-rate insurance to beach-dwellers, there has never been an airline executive bright enough to discover that if he just quit abusing his customers, he'd drive all the competing dungeon masters out of business, and make up on volume what he lost in baggage fees.
Might re consider or do a little research on insurance companies. Lived near the beach in S. Florida and premiums were 4X higher than in TV. Laws in Florida were pro consumer before recent legislation regarding attorney fees. Insurance companies are like any other business. They want to make a reasonable profit. When they pull out, they are looking at the bottom line
Old 11-08-2023, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,266 Posts

Not so sure this is about saving 2 min in the boarding process. May be more a way for United to effectively charge for carry-on bags.

Economy Plus Passengers who purchase Priority Boarding are able to board with Group 2.

Having a Chase United Credit Card ($95/yr) will also put you in an earlier boarding group and allow one checked bag at no charge.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:40 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Personally, liked this idea. Now feel there is no good answer to the boarding problems. Amazing how many people think that they have all day to board and stand in the aisles
Old 11-08-2023, 09:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Get a United credit card that gives status and avoids this issue. They are not rethinking the process, it incentivizes revenue
Old 11-08-2023, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,813 Times in 5,293 Posts

The solution is to eliminate the overhead bins. Either check your bag or put it under your seat.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,005 Times in 4,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Get a United credit card that gives status and avoids this issue. They are not rethinking the process, it incentivizes revenue
I liked the "old days" much better. No overhead bins, no carry on luggage, every bag checked without additional baggage fees. Planes boarded and deplaned in less than 1/2 the time.

Which brings up another pet peeve: I weigh 190 and if I check 2 bags of 30# each for a total of 250, I pay for my seat + $75-95 for baggage. Then, the 350# passenger crams in next to me with fat rolls hanging into my "space" and just pays for the ticket. I suggest that airfare is charged for the seat + per pound over the average weight including baggage which, of course would go over like a lead balloon. OK, all the bleeding hearts can pile on now
Old 11-08-2023, 09:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Time saved?

Quote:
Yeah, and once everybody is seated frustrated and angry, a fight breaks out and you go back to the terminal. So much for saving time.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:36 AM

Always thought they should board the last rows first and then move forward and make sure to keep an eye on passengers to make sure they put their carry-ons over their seats not somewhere close to the front
Old 11-08-2023, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,798 Times in 1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I liked the "old days" much better. No overhead bins, no carry on luggage, every bag checked without additional baggage fees. Planes boarded and deplaned in less than 1/2 the time.

Which brings up another pet peeve: I weigh 190 and if I check 2 bags of 30# each for a total of 250, I pay for my seat + $75-95 for baggage. Then, the 350# passenger crams in next to me with fat rolls hanging into my "space" and just pays for the ticket. I suggest that airfare is charged for the seat + per pound over the average weight including baggage which, of course would go over like a lead balloon. OK, all the bleeding hearts can pile on now
Agree. Do away with the overhead bins. Store small/personal items under your seat or on your lap.
To deal with "over hang" from the next seat, a dividing wall/panel separating the seats. It is always a battle for the armrest anyway, now gone.
Since weight affects fuel consumption, charge by total weight of each customer + all their baggage. Smaller/lighter folks and those with less baggage will pay less because they "use" less fuel.
Closed Thread

Tags
aisle, middle, seats, people, things

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.