Lack of substance

Old 09-21-2011, 01:16 PM
n/a

Default Lack of substance

The political forum once upon a time used to offer up various opinions and debates on matters of concern and substance for America.
The substance went out the window prior to the 2008 election and the first year there after.

When substance was sought once again by some of us, those who frequented and threw the most stones at ANY opposition no longer frequent the forum. Some may be back under new screen names...some do sound like others from the past.

Now as we approach another campaign season, in my opinion it is nigh unto impossible to garner ANY type of discussion of significance on subjects that matter to the future of our beloved America. Too many have only one objective and that is to constantly snipe and bait and put down anything they disagree with (almost the definition of a bigot). Substance or a real discussion about an issue is never entertained.

The partisan positioning used to be amusing and entertaining when there was at least a smattering of substance. There are far to many posters now whose objective is to do nothing but pounce on ANY opposing views with very derogatory, personal and general accusations. It is OK to have an opinion, but to continue to insist the opinion is gospel no matter the subject is becoming weary and boring. The pattern is all the same. It never changes...no substance....no issue discussion.

So for me the caliber of the political forum is moving from entertaining to border line obnoxious.....with way to many partisan commercials. Calling them commercials is more of a complimentary reference than should be assigned.

I hang in here just to see how far it will deteriorate. And then of course I have the ultimate hope of being around when Obama either does not win the democratic nomination or loses if he does. Then I want to see how long it takes this new genre of partisans to disappear....just like their predecessors did when they could no longer in good conscience defend the man they thought they elected.

There. I feel better already.

btk
Old 09-21-2011, 01:33 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The political forum once upon a time used to offer up various opinions and debates on matters of concern and substance for America.
The substance went out the window prior to the 2008 election and the first year there after.

When substance was sought once again by some of us, those who frequented and threw the most stones at ANY opposition no longer frequent the forum. Some may be back under new screen names...some do sound like others from the past.

Now as we approach another campaign season, in my opinion it is nigh unto impossible to garner ANY type of discussion of significance on subjects that matter to the future of our beloved America. Too many have only one objective and that is to constantly snipe and bait and put down anything they disagree with (almost the definition of a bigot). Substance or a real discussion about an issue is never entertained.

The partisan positioning used to be amusing and entertaining when there was at least a smattering of substance. There are far to many posters now whose objective is to do nothing but pounce on ANY opposing views with very derogatory, personal and general accusations. It is OK to have an opinion, but to continue to insist the opinion is gospel no matter the subject is becoming weary and boring. The pattern is all the same. It never changes...no substance....no issue discussion.

So for me the caliber of the political forum is moving from entertaining to border line obnoxious.....with way to many partisan commercials. Calling them commercials is more of a complimentary reference than should be assigned.

I hang in here just to see how far it will deteriorate. And then of course I have the ultimate hope of being around when Obama either does not win the democratic nomination or loses if he does. Then I want to see how long it takes this new genre of partisans to disappear....just like their predecessors did when they could no longer in good conscience defend the man they thought they elected.

btk
When we all agree that it comes hard from both sides of the ballot box, then we can begin to heal. If a liberal say anything in here, the 6 PAC are on the thread like a pack of dogs. Do you get it that when attacked, people will automatically go into the defense mode. You have sarcasm from me and RL and just dumb cracks from the joker. What do you expect? If you want to do some good, you have to call out your own party when they exceed civility. Richie has scolded me several times when I get out of line because I don't think he really believes I am a true conservative. Yet, I have never seen one comment about how the joker constantly pokes at every democrat or liberal on this site. Fair is Fair. I AM A CONSERVATIVE, but I feel it is my responsibility as a human being to point out the over the top stupidity. Thats why I often take up arms to defend the liberal statements. You will never convince me that just because someone is a liberal that means they are stupid or hate this country. When we talk to each other we will all listen, when we insult each other no one will hear.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 PM
n/a

Well said Villager II. I am neither a lib or a conserv. I listen to each candidate, check their voting record and no matter what is behind their name, IE., "D" or "R" or "L" or, get the picture, actions speak louder than words ever will. Money talks, and BS walks. There are several on this forum that have the BS part down, but don't have the money part learned.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmo Bohica View Post
Well said Villager II. I am neither a lib or a conserv. I listen to each candidate, check their voting record and no matter what is behind their name, IE., "D" or "R" or "L" or, get the picture, actions speak louder than words ever will. Money talks, and BS walks. There are several on this forum that have the BS part down, but don't have the money part learned.
I want a candidate whose position on important issues is NOT immediately known as soon as you know their political party. Tried of all of them following party line like a bunch of lemmings.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

btk

AMEN BTK !!!!

This board is not near what it used to be and understand those jumping ship from here.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 PM
n/a

Quote:
"The political forum once upon a time used to offer up various opinions and debates on matters of concern and substance for America.
The substance went out the window prior to the 2008 election and the first year there after."
I think the lack of substance you cite is directly related to the lack of substance in most of what the media report about the political candidates and issues.

Everything is based on the 30-second soundbite. The debates sponsored by the major networks like CNN or Foxnews end up allowing candidates to answer in only 30-second soundbites.....that often end up as the single thing that can make or break their whole run for office.

An example would be how one single statement of a few words is what sticks in our minds about Bachmann in the last debate: “To have innocent little 12-year-old girls be forced to have a government injection through an executive order is just wrong.”

Powerful, lasting words that we now think of immediately when we hear her name. All news articles about her now are based on that one statement, and it's being cited as the final blow to her dying campaign.

Now without getting into trashing or championing Bachmann, I don't think that one statement should become the sum total of all the woman's substance.

If she were the substance-free moron that many say she is, how in the world did historic, prestigious William & Mary Law School grant her degree in tax law??? (See: http://law.wm.edu/about/index.php ) Nobody who's stupid graduates from a school like William & Mary!

I really think the 30-second sound bite on t.v. is a big part of the problem. To me, it was refreshing to see the extended DIALOGUE that took place, for example, when Hillary Clinton was interviewed in 2008 by Bill O'Reilly. They were well-matched in debating the issues, and she took things in stride and laughed when he would say things (somewhat jokingly) like "C'mon!!!!! Your ideas for spending on healthcare are gonna ruin the country!" She took it in stride and explained clearly the substance and concepts of her proposals.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPRtmLDJcBM[/ame]

This rarely happens in other interview or debate formats on t.v. and I think it's what's draining the substance from what we are allowed to see about the candidates via t.v.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:59 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I think the lack of substance you cite is directly related to the lack of substance in most of what the media report about the political candidates and issues.

Everything is based on the 30-second soundbite. The debates sponsored by the major networks like CNN or Foxnews end up allowing candidates to answer in only 30-second soundbites.....that often end up as the single thing that can make or break their whole run for office.

An example would be how one single statement of a few words is what sticks in our minds about Bachmann in the last debate: “To have innocent little 12-year-old girls be forced to have a government injection through an executive order is just wrong.”

Powerful, lasting words that we now think of immediately when we hear her name. All news articles about her now are based on that one statement, and it's being cited as the final blow to her dying campaign.

Now without getting into trashing or championing Bachmann, I don't think that one statement should become the sum total of all the woman's substance.

If she were the substance-free moron that many say she is, how in the world did historic, prestigious William & Mary Law School grant her degree in tax law??? (See: http://law.wm.edu/about/index.php ) Nobody who's stupid graduates from a school like William & Mary!

I really think the 30-second sound bite on t.v. is a big part of the problem. To me, it was refreshing to see the extended DIALOGUE that took place, for example, when Hillary Clinton was interviewed in 2008 by Bill O'Reilly. They were well-matched in debating the issues, and she took things in stride and laughed when he would say things (somewhat jokingly) like "C'mon!!!!! Your ideas for spending on healthcare are gonna ruin the country!" She took it in stride and explained clearly the substance and concepts of her proposals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPRtmLDJcBM

This rarely happens in other interview or debate formats on t.v. and I think it's what's draining the substance from what we are allowed to see about the candidates via t.v.
I watched the whole video. I was never a Hillary fan, but after listening to her, Obama seems like a dunce. Obama is the worst joke that the mainstream media ever pulled on the American people.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:08 PM
n/a

Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 PM
n/a

Default My Thoughts

I have been in the political thread since it was moved to this special area.

The reason it was moved was because it got pretty nasty.

Then it got fairly reasonable.

Now it is back to nasty and sniping.

I think that the PAC6 as I think they are called in some posts - but I haven't really figured who they are because I count more than 6 that regularly post and banter about (or snipe when they decide to) - are trying to outdo each other and forget that there are others that actually want to discuss the threads.

If these few can forget the name calling and snide remarks and stick to the subjects at hand, I think the politcal thread would be a place to discuss the pros and cons of the various candidates when the 2012 election rolls around.

At least I hope so.

Z

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.