Hottest September Ever Recorded by a LOT Don't listen to the deniers / liars

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2023, 08:28 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,214 Times in 471 Posts

Propaganda is very effective. Like telling people they are responsible for climate change. They are responsible for pollution, which we can and should reduce. The next time someone tells you you can control the temperature fluctuations of the planet, go stand out in the middle of a tornado, that will tell you how much power we have over the forces of the earth. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Propaganda is very effective. Like telling people they are responsible for climate change. They are responsible for pollution, which we can and should reduce. The next time someone tells you you can control the temperature fluctuations of the planet, go stand out in the middle of a tornado, that will tell you how much power we have over the forces of the earth. Good luck.
But we could have prevented the tornado if we had gone out and bought all new energy efficient appliances.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I treat the deniers the same as people with face/neck tattoos or orange spray tan treatments. Easy way to identify low IQ people.
I usually just look for ‘your’ people wearing masks
Old 10-06-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
And now they are calling for a record "COLDEST" winter due to El Nino. I moved to Florida to get away from cold weather and so far I have been surprised by some pretty cold nights during the "winter" months.
I think it's called Climate Change. Global warming will cause changes in the yearly climate. Do some legitimate fact checking and research and stop believing the propaganda noise networks!
Old 10-06-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My time so far on this planet covers the whole of that graph.
It is obvious, whatever data is thrown up to the contrary, that over that period winters are no where near as cold.
The simple reason is, many plants now survive winters in the ground, which would not have done so over 20 years ago.
Gardens can tell you many things, as Nature does not take prisoners.

Man made? Natural climate progression?
So true, the continued fight about the cause of climate change is useless and does nothing. Ask the people who are now seeing tornados where there use to be none, ask the people who had their lives destroyed by Ian, ask the people who have had their homes flooded multiple times, ask the people who have been catastrophically changed by fire, whether it is natural or man made. Pretty sure they do not care. Focus needs to be on how do we live better with these changes, from whatever cause, and do our best to mitigate damage to human lives and property. Was told all thru my career, do not come to me with problems, come to me with solutions of the problems.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,195 Times in 839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball77 View Post
I'll believe in Global Warming when the proponents of global warming live their lives as if it is true. (Like stop flying your private jets to Davos to tell us to reduce our carbon footprint). Rules for thee, but not for me.
I am sure you apply the same decision making to your view of religion. It is a very rare person who spouts their faith actually lives the tenets of that faith in each action they take. It is a very rare doctor who takes their own advice, it is a very rare cop who follows the law, it is a very rare politician who has ethics...

So your "believe in Global Warming" argument rejection must mean you reject medicine, religion, law enforcement.... or your argument is bogus.

Not even the most ardent rejectionist are now arguing there is no global warming event like they did a few years ago. Now the goalposts have moved and they accept that the planet is rapidly warming as there is now irrefutable evidence of that fact.

Instead it is now that humans play no role in that event or that it doesn't matter because it sure will be nice when it is warmer. You can see both of these arguments presented in this very thread. One person telling us that climate always changes, but ignoring that it does not change as rapidly as it is now without some major shift in the factors that control climate none of which have occurred other than humans burning fossil fuels and changing the amount of greenhouses gases.

Another poster telling us how wonderful hot earth will be because we will have such a nice diverse number of species.

Follow the money others pontificate... Yes, I am sure that those university adjuncts are rolling in cash now, way more that the profits of Exxon and Shell and BP an others, almost none of which is going to cleaning up or new investment or employee benefits. No those obscene profits are going into stock buy backs to increase the net worth of the CEOs and the 1% That is the money you need to be following. That is where the big bucks are.

I will await somebody posting how much those working on fixing the problem profited in 2022. And this is PROFIT not income.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-06 101153.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	100476  
Old 10-06-2023, 09:18 AM
Default RPI and maiboxes moved onto the tops of snow drifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Yes, But Victor is a nice suburb of Rochester, NY with really great nearby golf courses (Oak Hill, CC of Rochester, Cobblestone Creek to name a few)
Good to know, as I'll certainly never be visiting. Way too cold up yonder. All those northern NY places run together in my mind. Looks like they all lie along the Erie Canal, though, now that I check. Seems that area could certainly utilize a bunch of that free energy from global warming. Some adapting would seem to be easier - and more welcomed - than other adapting.

Whoa. Back up from *another* rabbit hole. Now know that RPI is nowhere near Rochester and that despite Troy being near Schenectady, it apparently has little historical connection to Westinghouse. Even had to go deep into this hole to come back up with Steinmetz's name - the Schenectady wizard who was so much fun to read about. :-)
Old 10-06-2023, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I am sure you apply the same decision making to your view of religion. It is a very rare person who spouts their faith actually lives the tenets of that faith in each action they take. It is a very rare doctor who takes their own advice, it is a very rare cop who follows the law, it is a very rare politician who has ethics...

So your "believe in Global Warming" argument rejection must mean you reject medicine, religion, law enforcement.... or your argument is bogus.

Not even the most ardent rejectionist are now arguing there is no global warming event like they did a few years ago. Now the goalposts have moved and they accept that the planet is rapidly warming as there is now irrefutable evidence of that fact.

Instead it is now that humans play no role in that event or that it doesn't matter because it sure will be nice when it is warmer. You can see both of these arguments presented in this very thread. One person telling us that climate always changes, but ignoring that it does not change as rapidly as it is now without some major shift in the factors that control climate none of which have occurred other than humans burning fossil fuels and changing the amount of greenhouses gases.

Another poster telling us how wonderful hot earth will be because we will have such a nice diverse number of species.

Follow the money others pontificate... Yes, I am sure that those university adjuncts are rolling in cash now, way more that the profits of Exxon and Shell and BP an others, almost none of which is going to cleaning up or new investment or employee benefits. No those obscene profits are going into stock buy backs to increase the net worth of the CEOs and the 1% That is the money you need to be following. That is where the big bucks are.

I will await somebody posting how much those working on fixing the problem profited in 2022. And this is PROFIT not income.
There are 6 billion more people than there were a hundred years ago so yes humans are contributing to climate change. I just don’t believe the current proposed solutions have been well though out. Electric cars are built with toxic waste and require tens of thousands of gallons of water when they catch fire and the energy grid is no where near ready to handle them. How much energy is needed to produce new energy saving appliances and how do we deal with the old ones?We are simply trading one set of problems for another. All the while lining certain pockets with money.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
This graph uses as a zero point the temperature average over a 30 year period from 1991 to 2020. Of course this was a period when temps were already moving upward as you can see looking at how no years prior to 2002 were warmer than that average. So when a person who regularly posts that we are in a cooling trend selectively uses a single hot year as a baseline, know you are being manipulated and lied to.
You don’t know hot, bubuleh! There’s always a breeze in Florida and if you want scorching hot you needed to go to the southwest in AZ or TX this past summer. This year it’s supposed to be cooler than average.That’s life!
Old 10-06-2023, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,195 Times in 839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
You don’t know hot, bubuleh! There’s always a breeze in Florida and if you want scorching hot you needed to go to the southwest in AZ or TX this past summer. This year it’s supposed to be cooler than average.That’s life!
I always appreciate a well bestowed bubuleh
Old 10-06-2023, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,111 Times in 4,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
There are 6 billion more people than there were a hundred years ago so yes humans are contributing to climate change. I just don’t believe the current proposed solutions have been well though out. Electric cars are built with toxic waste and require tens of thousands of gallons of water when they catch fire and the energy grid is no where near ready to handle them. How much energy is needed to produce new energy saving appliances and how do we deal with the old ones?We are simply trading one set of problems for another. All the while lining certain pockets with money.
You actually make a good point. With 6 billion more people, why is the emphasis on cow farts??? According to the USDA there are only 1 billion cows in the world, or about 1/8 of the human population. Are cow farts 8 times larger than human farts? Or are they even 8 times as stinky? Do they contain 8 times as much methane? Inquiring minds want to know
Old 10-06-2023, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You actually make a good point. With 6 billion more people, why is the emphasis on cow farts??? According to the USDA there are only 1 billion cows in the world, or about 1/8 of the human population. Are cow farts 8 times larger than human farts? Or are they even 8 times as stinky? Do they contain 8 times as much methane? Inquiring minds want to know
They are not honestly dealing with the problem, just throwing things out there to look like they are, all the while not impacting themselves.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,111 Times in 4,222 Posts

Quote:

First of all, that $200 billion profit pales in comparison to the 130 TRILLION the alarmists want to spend to "combat" climate change.

Secondly, I've made it absolutely clear that we have had cycles of global warming and cooling over a dozen times in the last 4.5 million years, that's an undeniable FACT

I DID NOT state that since the industrial revolution humans have not accelerated the natural cycle of our current warming.

I DID STATE that 8 or 30 or 200 years of data, even if the data is accurate (which it is not by the way, only the last 50 years is reliable) is nowhere near enough of a time frame to draw ANY conclusions. It is impossible to extrapolate 100 years into a prediction of a 100,000 year cycle. Now, how much are humans contributing?? Well, it's not 0% and it's not 100%. Best estimates from unbiasedclimatologists is that it is negligible. The best statement I found from a retired, well respected climatologist was that at most human activity will delay the next period of glaciation by 5-10,000 years, and that is due to the rise of agriculture in Asia over the past 8,000 years, NOT 150 years of industrialization. Is he right??? WHO KNOWS? The answer is NOBODY KNOWS, since we just don't have data that extends over a long enough interval to make projections. But I'm willing to bet the life of my granddaughter that she will not drown due to so-called "climate change" in her lifetime, or even her grandchildren's. Perhaps 1500 generations down the line, perhaps 2500. But will our descendants 50,000 years from now resemble what we accept today as human??? After all, 50,000 years ago we were Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:35 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,119 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Does anyone there have Tankless Water Heaters that the builder’s put on the outside of house, if so don’t the owners worry about those heaters freezing & bursting. I want to know because a lot of residents had theirs burst. Not in Florida but other southern states have! Just curious!
The year I moved here, 2020, I spent closing day trying to keep my home from freezing on a 10 degree day that hadn't been seen in Houston in 50 years. Unlike Florida, in Houston ALL the plumbing is above ground -- because it never freezes in Houston, don't you know. So your plumbing enters your house from the outside street into your wall about a foot above ground, and goes into the attic, where your hot water tank is located.

And get this -- the "Oil Capital of the World" is powered by a nuclear reactor, that can't survive a 10 degree day because the cooling water comes from a shallow pond! So they shut down the power on 5 million people, and over a million homes were flooded a couple of days later, when their broken ceiling pipes thawed.

Damn that global warming!

But here's the good news -- even in Houston, my insurance was half the cost to insure the same size house (that survived three cat-5 hurricanes unharmed), the exact same distance from the ocean in The Villages!
Old 10-06-2023, 11:00 AM

This thread now has over 100 posts. I believe roughly 90% of them are arguments over whether climate change exists or is it a serious global problem. But I don’t believe anyone on this thread or anywhere else has offered a **practical** solution to ‘fix’ climate change in a democratic way. Almost none of us want a totalitarian state like China to require us to follow draconian actions such as only one natural child per couple or preventing a person from flying more than 4 times over their life.

A practical fix is not ‘we can start by [eating bugs or whatever]’. That is not a serious proposal. For those believing that climate change is a serious global problem and needs to be fixed, what is the **practical** fix that moves the needle rather than only good intentions or an action without serious negative consequences? Anyone with a serious fix?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	100478  

Last edited by spinner1001; 10-06-2023 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread

Tags
period, year, average, person, hottest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.