PDA

View Full Version : Girl Talk

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Barefoot
02-09-2008, 01:29 PM
I thought I'd start a thread so we can talk about girly stuff like self esteem, sushi, pedicures, sex after 50, etc, and the guys can't hear us. And we can go off topic as often as we want. :clap2:

Guys, don't read this, it is for girls only. Handie, this includes you!!

BBB, Nonie and Donna: I just know you've got some stuff to say!!

Boomer
02-09-2008, 01:40 PM
BAD, Barefoot, BAD, BAD, BAD...

I will try to resist this thread.

But you know that - like my screen name says - I will, in fact, be back.

OK. I must confess. One of my biggest fears about living in TV for long periods of time is that I will have to leave my hairdresser. She is one heck of a chemist. She is so good that people are surprised that it is a dye job. The problem is that parts of my hair are snow white (prematurely, of course) and she can make all that go away. But she has to use Wella, in addition to another step or two in the process. Nobody in TV uses Wella. At least, I could not find a place when I was there.

Well, that didn't take long did it?

redwitch
02-09-2008, 01:52 PM
BBB, you're looking at this all wrong. Once you get here, you can still use BBB but in reverse. You can visit "home" just for your hairdresser. Who knows, maybe you can convince her to take vacations here. Do your hair for a day or two of R&R.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 01:58 PM
BBB - I do not know where your white streak is, but when I see women with a natural white streak - I have always thought how striking. Must admit, I have never seen any woman with a white streak that did not look attractive.

I do not think I will be able to resist this thread either.

As for schedules and TOTV, like Mark Twain said about giving up cigarettes, he gave up cigarettes after everyone he had. So, following in Mark Twain's foot steps, I will give up on TOTV until I pick up next time - probably in five minutes or less.

BF - Great topic. I liked what you wrote on RW's thread. Glad you did not mention Kathie, you know how shy and retiring she is.

So BF :agree: :bigthumbsup: and will :beer3: :beer2: to this idea and I am :hot: :2excited: :hot: :2excited: about this thread. 040 040 040

Hyacinth Bucket

Barefoot
02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
BBB, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist this thread!! ;) Streaks of snow white sound sexy and sophisticated to me!! Further to your Wella problem, my husband (Mr. Wallethead) has been suggesting I stop colouring my hair. :yikes: In one way, it is appealing. I am tired of the aggravation and really don't like dyes going into my brain. On the other hand, I don't want to look in the mirror and see my grandmother! :dontknow:

Colour or not? What do you do?

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Red, since BBB's hair dresser is so good, maybe we can create a schedule and have her do all of our hair.

Red the picture of you and Jess is one of my favorites on TOTV - sorry JohnnyM

HB

Boomer
02-09-2008, 02:04 PM
RW,

We have actually laughed about doing just that. My hairdresser is close to my age and neither of us is planning to go gently.

The other part of the problem is that my hair grows really fast. The snow white part is right on top. When it comes in, if I don't get it done right away, from a distance, I begin to look like Friar Tuck.

Wella is made in Germany I think. But P&G now owns it. When I met my hairdresser, I was desperate. My former hairdresser had turned my roots a festive shade of pink, trying to cover all the white with a product that just could not do it anymore. Wella is higher in pigment I think than some of the others. I pay through the nose at this salon, but it is a luxury I can't give up.

"Vanity, thy name is woman."

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 02:05 PM
BF my hubby says the same thing. But when I see those roots out comes the bottle. I have my own professional hair colorist - my hubby. He prefers Loreal's products and says the one that has color's gray does a better job.

HB

redwitch
02-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't think I like you guys. I was gonna wait another week to do the roots but now I feel like I have to go out and buy the bottles and do my stuff. UGH

IT. IS. ALL. YOUR. FAULT!!!!!

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Red, just checked with Hubby - he says if you byob - he will do it for you this time.

He has over a decade of experience.

HB

redwitch
02-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Tell him he's on! What time would he like me there? hehehehehehehe

(I'm hoping byob is bring your own brand! And I like L'Oreal, too.)

Boomer
02-09-2008, 02:33 PM
OK.

Now I am really jealous.

I cannot BYOB because nothing OTC will cover my big white spot that is right on top. If it were only a streak, I would let it go.

I can't score Wella on the street. Salon only.

When my hairdresser had to bring me back from the festive shade of pink where I had been left by my former hairdresser, I was in the chair for hours. She took all the color out. Tried one brand to put it back. Did not get it. Then hit it with Wella. That is the only thing that works. She also finishes the process by adding something called "clear" which closes the cuticle that is roughed up with dye. That brings back the shine. (At least I think that's how it works. - anyway, it works.)

As far as letting it go - How in the world do you do the transition? - not that I am even considering it. I do think that is easier for those with dark hair because they just do the sophisticated salt and pepper thing for awhile.

(OK girls, now we have bored the men to the point of stupefaction so we can talk about other stuff. They will never look back.)

mustleavemyhousemustleavemyhousemustleavemyhouse

Barefoot
02-09-2008, 02:34 PM
So far, no-one planning to go grey??? If anyone has gone "natural", how do you make the transition from now to then? Guess I could go try on a grey wig. Ulp. Just the thought of it makes me cringe.

(Red, good luck with Hyacinth's husband, he is obviously a man of many talents.)

Barefoot
02-09-2008, 02:41 PM
put it back. Did not get it. Then hit it with Wella. That is the only thing that works. She (OK girls, now we have bored the men to the point of stupefaction so we can talk about other stuff. They will never look back.) tleavemyhousemustleavemyhousemustleavemyhouse

BBB, that was the point of the hair discussion. To bore the men silly. Alhough your story of pink was fascinating. ;D ;D Now, they're gone and we can talk about face creams that work, sex, lip plumpers, good places to shop for clothes in TV, etc.

For instance Spanx .... (if you haven't tried it, you're missing out).

Barefoot
02-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh, my tip of the day! Safety pin your socks together before doing your laundry. (2 at a time, silly.) It makes sorting laundry easier and your dryer will never eat another sock.

redwitch
02-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I will go grey when I'm all white. I haven't seen my "natural" color since I was 16 (and when it was growing back from chemo but that doesn't count). As to transitioning, I'll just let it grow for about two to three months (thank goodness I love baseball caps) and then get it all cut off but the natural stuff.

Boomer
02-09-2008, 02:50 PM
BBB, that was the point of the hair discussion. To bore the men silly. Alhough your story of pink was fascinating. ;D ;D Now, they're gone and we can talk about face creams that work, sex, lip plumpers, good places to shop for clothes in TV, etc.

For instance Spanx .... (if you haven't tried it, you're missing out).

Spanx rule!

And why doesn't TV have a Coldwater Creek?

samhass
02-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Oh Red, I can't see you cutting your hair short. Also.....would we call you graywitch then???? No way. Stay Red and vibrant!!!!!

Donna
02-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Boomer,

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/announcement.gif (http://www.millan.net)I own a hair salon, I can get any color you need...

We use Wella at my shop..Wella Kolstan... :bigthumbsup:

I can get it and ship it for ya, or I can buy it in TV from a beauty supply, since I have the license...

nONIE
02-09-2008, 02:59 PM
o wOW o WOW!!! Great thread Barefoot!

Well now, for that itsy bitsy, teeny weeny , bit of gray comming thru I have recentely found JUST FOR MEN!

Because it is meant for mens sideburns and beards which is very course and resistant gray, it covers wonderfully and LASTS!!!! I have never used a color that lasted thru a few shampoos but this seems to be holding on really tight. ;D

Boomer
02-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Boomer,

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/announcement.gif (http://www.millan.net)I own a hair salon, I can get any color you need...

We use Wella at my shop..Wella Kolstan... :bigthumbsup:

I can get it and ship it for ya, or I can buy it in TV from a beauty supply, since I have the license...

Donna!

My new best friend!

Thank you.

Boomer
02-09-2008, 03:12 PM
o wOW o WOW!!! Great thread Barefoot!

Well now, for that itsy bitsy, teeny weeny , bit of gray comming thru I have recentely found JUST FOR MEN!

Because it is meant for mens sideburns and beards which is very course and resistant gray, it covers wonderfully and LASTS!!!! I have never used a color that lasted thru a few shampoos but this seems to be holding on really tight. ;D

Nonie,

Someone recently told me that product works great on eyebrows that are starting to go gray.

Now, I have to step away from this computer. I am going to go ask Mr. BB to disable it for me. That is my only hope.

beady
02-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Oh I love this thread, thanks Barefoot.

Going grey has always made me cringe. I opted for highlighting and mixing the grey with the blond. If your hair is dark and greying go for reverse highlighting. Ladies there is always a way.

Donna: when can you be here full time so we can have a TOTV salon, for members only. 040 040

Let's flood Cold Water Creek with e-mail requests for a store in TV

Donna
02-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Beady,

I am serious..I can help with any salon related thing you need...Ya think I can open a small business, just for TOTV peeps????

beady
02-09-2008, 03:24 PM
:clap2: :clap2:
I'll be your first customer.

chelsea24
02-09-2008, 03:26 PM
OK, since no one wants to touch sex over fifty, I guess I will. The question is "how much do I want that new landscaping?" hmmmmmm :dontknow:

And I'll leave you with just one word . . . Astroglide!

This is just one cat's opinion! ;)

nONIE
02-09-2008, 03:31 PM
omg Chelse,

When we were 1st married there were some promises's made. I wanted those Pricilla curtains soooo bad!!!! You reminded me of that. LOL

Donna
02-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey Chel,

I wanna move to my house in TV soooo bad..What can I do, any thoughts...

nONIE
02-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Donna, ya need to pm us, we are full of ideas!!!! evil6

Donna
02-09-2008, 03:46 PM
What ever you girls wanna do, I am game... :bigthumbsup:

beady
02-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Hilarious, now the guys have posted a thread.
1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl
They just can't stand to be left out!!!!

Donna
02-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Men...So egotistical...http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/coffeescreen.gif (http://www.millan.net)

Donna
02-09-2008, 04:02 PM
1.) Fine: This is the word women use to end an argument when they are right and
you need to be quiet.

2.) Five Minutes: If she is getting dressed, this means a half an hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given five more minutes to watch the game before helping around the house.

3.) Nothing: This is the calm before the storm. This means something, and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with Nothing usually end in Fine.

4.) Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

5.) Loud Sigh: This is actually a word, but is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you about Nothing. (Refer back to #3 for the meaning of Nothing.)

6.) That's Okay: This is one of the most dangerous statements a women can make to a man. That's Okay means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.

7.) Thanks: A woman is thanking you, do not question, or Faint. Just say you're welcome.

8.) Whatever: Is a women's way of saying SCREW YOU!

9.) Don't worry about it, I got it: Another dangerous statement, meaning this is something that a woman has told a man to do several times, but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking 'What's wrong?' For the woman's response refer to #3.

Send this to the men you know, to warn them about arguments they can avoid if they remember the terminology.

Send this to all the women you know to give them a good laugh, cause they know it's true.

redwitch
02-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Well, I'm joining the guy talk. I understand it better .. roflao Cars, sports I understand. Makeup, hair I get kinda lost.

Sam, I'm notorious from going from very long (last time was almost to the waist) to very short. This is a grow out from last year -- was a little above the chin. Idiot stylist wouldn't cut it as short as I wanted.

As to sex over 50, I'm working on proving something I read once wrong. It said that the hymen grows back after 7 years of no use. Well, I'm working on it. Will find someone to take my virginity (again) next year. How's that for a way to keep young. ;)

Donna
02-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Scientists have discovered a food that diminishes a woman's sex drive by 90%.
It's called a Wedding Cake. 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Red, hubby says he hopes you can wait until after the 17th of Feb.

Long hair - I am letting mine grow long and then will have it all cut off and donate it to Locks of Love. Have you thought of doing that RW?

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi,

I thought you were joking about the "boys site." I can not believe at their age they are still copying us.

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 04:22 PM
RW I just went in to peek at there site and I think you have more post on that site than any of the men.

HB

redwitch
02-09-2008, 04:26 PM
HB -- Don't think I can wait til the 17th. Guess I'm stuck doing it myself (again). sigh

Well, one post on the boys' site is to answer Bernie's question. But I always was one of the guys (just cuter!).

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 04:28 PM
RW yes much cuter and you still are. And you also have more hair than most of them. :)

HB

Mikitv
02-09-2008, 04:59 PM
]

My hair dresser is a colorist that has taught all over and I will miss her when we finally move. Maybe we can pay her way once a month and she can do everyones hair at that time. I don't look good with the dark, white, gray that is now coming in. Went to Vegas one time and hair dresser at Caesar's couldn't believe that my hair was colored. Getting old doesn't mean we have to look it. Living my life looking the best I can no matter the age.

nONIE
02-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Mikark,

YES!!!!! :bigthumbsup:

fraurauch
02-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I've been a member of TOTV since January 2007 (not a frequent poster) and this is the funniest thread so far. You kids are nuts.

With regard to the Astroglide comment (I think I'm understanding what that meant), I have a friend who uses Olive Oil....yes, Olive Oil, and she swears by it. I haven't had the nerve to try it yet.

Anyhow, keep this thread going, girls, I'm gonna keep reading.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 05:33 PM
fraurauch

Hope you keep posting. Come to the chat room in the evening, probably around 8:30 pm EST.

There is always room for one more and there is a chair just waiting for you.

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Question - is the olive oil the virgin type or the extra virgin?

HB

nONIE
02-09-2008, 05:37 PM
OMG< I thought astroglide was something used in the ground for landscaping!!!

I cant stand myself, I need you girls to educate me! ::)

fraurauch
02-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I repeat, you're all nuts!

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 05:41 PM
fraurauch

The point is?

HB

fraurauch
02-09-2008, 05:45 PM
HB, I hope you realize that meant I think you girls are all very funny, and I'm enjoying reading this. herrrauch is out golfing and I have things I should be doing, but instead I'm sitting here waiting for the next post on girl talk. That was my point.

PJ
02-09-2008, 05:45 PM
OK you gals have drawn me in-- this haircolor problem is a subject I'm really experienced with, and concerned about. My hair is/was naturally very black, now with some gray, and I've been bleaching it blonde with highlights and lowlights for years, always doing it myself. (Saved enough money on that to retire!! LOL) Also my hair is very frizzy, and I have very pale skin (one reason I went blonde). When I moved to TV I decided I'd let it go to natural color, but I couldn't stand the in-between look! So now I'm back to bleaching it again! Such a stinky mess to do, and I'm sure those chemicals are not good for our bodies.

I'd love to hear how to transition to natural color. I don't know what percentage of mine is gray. Anyone have ideas?

Beady, forgive me, this may be a stupid question, but please what is reverse highlighting? I know those words, but not sure what you'd be doing with for instance black/white roots under blond/highlighted hair.

And also - where do you find Spanx or Lipo in a Box, both of which I found on-line, but haven't found in any stores??

Redwitch, yes I've heard that virginity returns after hmmm... "inactivity", and I'm pretty sure I'm there! If I ever have the right opportunity to um "get active" (blushing) maybe I'll give olive oil a try... LOL

Thanks for this thread Barefoot!

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 05:50 PM
fraurauch, I know. You have posted more times on this site, or at least I imagine so, than on any other site.

Hope you continue to join us and add your thoughts.

HB

fraurauch
02-09-2008, 05:58 PM
HB, this is the only site I have ever used. Never had the time before. Another good thing about getting old and retiring.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi, I guess you are getting snow like all of us Northerners. It is so beautiful outside, It is snowing by Donna also.

HB

redwitch
02-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, finished some of my errands. I may get to the rest or not. Who cares? It's TV, I have food and Kathie's arriving soon to get me in trouble.

PJ, we can go trolling together in November. I'm sure we can find a man or two who wants to deflower our beateous selves. If nothing else, there's always KB's. We'll just the guys drunk -- turn about is fair play, right?

Did you notice that the guys have already quit yapping? Such wimps!

samhass
02-09-2008, 07:09 PM
OK Ladies, this isn't about hair but it is a good tip. You know how those stainless grills and outdoor fridges can get spotted and marked by fingerprints? Buy a microfiber cloth and some WD-40 to wipe them down. Presto!! Looks new again!

chelsea24
02-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Bra Stuffers Girls:

Socks, Soft Stress Balls, Scarves, Panties, and of course the ultimate . . . :bigthumbsup:

CHICKEN CUTLETS! (Not cooked of course. And Warning: don't be surprised if you find lots of dogs start following you home!)

This is just one cats opinion . . . ;)

nONIE
02-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Chels, I used to use Bobby sox!!!! Hey was that a Chicago thing or are we both nuts???? :clap2:

redwitch
02-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I always liked using nylons with runs and I had to seriously stuff get a size A filled. Guess I was into recycling before recycling was popular?

Donna
02-09-2008, 09:06 PM
OMG< I thought astroglide was something used in the ground for landscaping!!!

I cant stand myself, I need you girls to educate me! ::)

Noni,
I'm with you..Astroglide?? What is that??? Now we have Noni & Blonde..http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/innocentsmily.gif (http://www.millan.net)

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Hate to admit it, but I thought Astroglide was the turf they put down on inside football fields. OMG, I think I need one of my kids to educate me.

Chel thank you for educating all of us.

HB

another Linda
02-09-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm supposed to be helping organize stuff for our taxes but ...

man do I love this site!!

redwitch
02-09-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm not convinced I really want to know what Astroglide is ... sounds like we might fly away if using it.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Another Linda,

We are snow bound and I have been pretty good about getting stuff done today. I am keeping the lap top downstairs so that I can not get to it that easily.

Do not know what else to do.

Taxes, do not want to go there.

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I have the answer to what Chel was referring to.

Astroglide is a brand of personal lubricant manufactured by BioFilm Inc of Vista You can get free samples of astroglide if you want to try it out.

Once again, Chel thank you for educating all of us.

HB

nONIE
02-09-2008, 10:08 PM
HB,

Did we really have to know the factual data? :redface:

I just wanted to know if it would kill fire ants?? :dontknow:

chelsea24
02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
:bigthumbsup: Ta-Da! HB gets the prize! Thought you girls were still talking about hair! Furballs -- that's a topic!

Just one cats opinion . . . :o

Hyacinth Bucket
02-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Nonie, yes.

Chel opened up a new area of discussion, we had fun with the word and what we thought the meaning was, including me. I thought it was some type of astro turf.

In all fairness to Chel I think I needed to know what she was talking about.

Now she brings up cooked chicken cutlets.

Chel you are light years ahead of me. You are one :2cool: :2cool: woman.

HB

Mintjulep
02-10-2008, 01:15 AM
You guys are all so funny. Have loved reading all the responses.

But I thought astroglide was some special transmission in a car that made shifting smoother...
Didn't they have something like that on those old muscle cars???

Donna
02-10-2008, 01:23 AM
You guys are all so funny. Have loved reading all the responses.

But I thought astroglide was some special transmission in a car that made shifting smoother...
Didn't they have something like that on those old muscle cars???

Minty..I love that one too.. 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl :clap2: :a20:

Mintjulep
02-10-2008, 01:44 AM
And Donna,,,
would you hire me when you open your salon here... I would like a nice fun part time job, and I have 36 yrs. experience (is that enough!).

(And I do KNOW what Wella is)!

Barefoot
02-10-2008, 02:04 AM
OK Ladies, this isn't about hair but it is a good tip. You know how those stainless grills and outdoor fridges can get spotted and marked by fingerprints? Buy a microfiber cloth and some WD-40 to wipe them down. Presto!! Looks new again!

Great tip about WD-40 Samhass.

And I guess if we don't have Astroglide in our bedroom drawer when we need it, we could substitute WD-40? ;D

Boomer
02-10-2008, 02:18 AM
I hope you all know how much better I will sleep tonight just knowing that there are people in TV who not only know what Wella is but know how to use it.

Seriously. :)

Once you have had pink roots, you are never quite the same again.

Barefoot
02-10-2008, 03:03 AM
BBB, could you please post a picture here showing your white streak. Please? It sounds very sexy and attractive.

Boomer
02-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Barefoot,

If only it were a white steak. It's not a streak. It is a big white section on top. As the white roots appear, it could look awful. But I never let that happen. I go every 4-5 weeks and get the roots done.

The hairdressers among us know exactly what happened to me when I ended up with pink roots. I guess my white hair is pretty resistant to grabbing color. It will only cover with Wella.

I guess the Germans must know how to make some serious hair dye. YOUR HAIR VILL GRAB ZE COLOR AND IT VILL LIKE IT.

Gee, this has been quite a good dose of therapy today. And I have hurdled another barrier between us and moving to TV.

Some day I will have to tell all of you about the time I had green hair.

ConeyIsBabe
02-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Oh, I just found the girly-talk; what fun!

HAIR: I never colored mine but I have a very difficult time getting a good haircut. This photo was taken in the summer of 07 after just getting a haircut at my local Walmart. The hairdresser was very flakey, talked non-stop, and gave me one of the best haircuts ever. So, I went back to her about 4 months later and she gave me a really terrible haircut. I just hate when that happens !!!!!!!! I have thick wavey hair and have had some very traumatic haircuts !

SEX: Hmmmmmmmm? The last "date" I had was ????? UMmmmmm, nevermind.

HIGH HEELS: I've been living in a very rural small town for the last 5 years. My immediate community is rather "redneck". NOT THAT THAT'S A BAD THING !!!!! And everyone is wonderful and friendly. Only the dress code is..... scruffy jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt, combat boots, or, in other words - anything. I sure do miss getting "dressed up" once in a while.

GIRLFRIENDS: I relocated to s/Oregon (from Miami) with a gentleman friend and left all my girlfriends back in Florida. I miss them!

pm10
02-10-2008, 04:16 AM
I love this thread, Barefoot!!

I too have tried to go natural...........but hate seeing so much gray come back. Buying a bottle every once in a while is just too easy. At least for now.
As far as lubricant goes............WD-40 is cheap, and may help slide those jeans back on :redface: :redface: :redface:

nONIE
02-10-2008, 04:54 AM
love your post pm. Remember when we would have to lay flat on our backs to get the zipper up?? I cant even imagine wanting to wear jeans that tight now, one good thing about getting older, comfort finally becomes important!

Barefoot
02-10-2008, 08:40 AM
HIGH HEELS[/b]: I've been living in a very rural small town for the last 5 years. My immediate community is rather "redneck". NOT THAT THAT'S A BAD THING !!!!! And everyone is wonderful and friendly. Only the dress code is..... scruffy jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt, combat boots, or, in other words - anything. I sure do miss getting "dressed up" once in a while.
GIRLFRIENDS[/b]: I relocated to s/Oregon (from Miami) with a gentleman friend and left all my girlfriends back in Florida. I miss them!

CIB, I haven't seen a lot of high heels in TV, people here dress very casually for the most part. Which is great as far as I'm concerned. ;) As Nonie says, comfort becomes important.

Re girlfriends, I think they're probably the biggest asset any of us have. Men and children may disappoint you, but girlfriends are there when you need them! :bigthumbsup:

I love this thread also PM10. Because we can talk about anything, no worries about Topicop, or going off topic!!!

Barb, loved the honesty of your post.

I actually had a private message from a male member of TOTV ... they are so jealous we have this thread!! They started their own thread and it was so lame. hahaha :a20:

Girls rule!

Donna
02-10-2008, 11:27 AM

HAIR: I never colored mine but I have a very difficult time getting a good haircut. This photo was taken in the summer of 07 after just getting a haircut at my local Walmart. The hairdresser was very flakey, talked non-stop, and gave me one of the best haircuts ever. So, I went back to her about 4 months later and she gave me a really terrible haircut. I just hate when that happens !!!!!!!! I have thick wavey hair and have had some very traumatic haircuts !

SEX: Hmmmmmmmm? The last "date" I had was ????? UMmmmmm, nevermind.

HIGH HEELS: I've been living in a very rural small town for the last 5 years. My immediate community is rather "redneck". NOT THAT THAT'S A BAD THING !!!!! And everyone is wonderful and friendly. Only the dress code is..... scruffy jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt, combat boots, or, in other words - anything. I sure do miss getting "dressed up" once in a while.

GIRLFRIENDS: I relocated to s/Oregon (from Miami) with a gentleman friend and left all my girlfriends back in Florida. I miss them!

Hey Coney,

I too miss getting dressed up..My heels are roting the closet, never get to wear them and if I do, the heels get ruined because there are no concrete walks here only gravel..http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/gaah.gif (http://www.millan.net)

When I visit my house in TV, is the only time I do get dressed and enjoy it, although as Barefoot said, there is no need every one is very casual..I lime the fact that you have the option of getting dressed..http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/shopping.gif (http://www.millan.net)

redwitch
02-10-2008, 11:32 AM
I do miss getting dressed up. About the only really girlie thing I truly enjoy doing. Was in Bealls Outlet yesterday and found the cutest pair of red, open-toed heels. I tried them on, walked around, they were sooooooooo comfie. But, then, tried to imagine where I would wear them in TV. Couldn't come up with an answer, so painfully and reluctantly put them back on the shelf.

However, if they're still there tomorrow, guess what I'm wearing out of the store? Then I know it's kismet.

jadebox
02-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Easy Spirit's, shorts and The Villages T shirts---That is all I want or need!!!! YEAH!!! Well throw in a bathing suit.

Boomer
02-10-2008, 02:18 PM
OK Girls,

I thought I would throw this one out there this morning.

Do you think Hillary has had a little work done?

This is probably a dumb question and I have not done a search on it, butI am sure there are entire blogs devoted to the speculation.

But I just thought I would ask you all.

She is a front-end boomer in the relentless spotlight so my answer is probably, "Duh, what do you think?"

If she has had work done, it looks like a really good job. I think that look of perpetual surprise she now has is strictly Obama-related.

This is NOT,I repeat NOT, an attempt to start a political discussion. -just a little gossip and wondering what you think about having work done, in general.

renielarson
02-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I watched an actual facelift being done a few years back on a show called something like "Operation". It was one of the scariest programs I'd ever watched and I made a decision at that moment to live with what I have! Every time I hear about someone getting a facelift that show flashes before me and I cringe.

samhass
02-10-2008, 03:14 PM
BF- Not sure about WD-40 in the bedroom. We did try the EVOO though, and that works great!

Great tip about WD-40 Samhass.

And I guess if we don't have Astroglide in our bedroom drawer when we need it, we could substitute WD-40? ;D

renielarson
02-10-2008, 03:59 PM
What a fun site! Remember the all girl slumber parties? That's where we'd really talk girl talk.
astroglide, WD-40, EVOO...don't forget to include Wesson Oil :o :redface: ::)

nONIE
02-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Sam,

At the risk of sounding totally naive, could you tell me what EVOO is??

OMG I feel so stupid, my guess for astroglide was really ridiculous.

As far as dressing up, I am sooo glad I do not have to dress up in TV or most anywhere these days. Casual is in and I'm elated about it. If I cant wear blue jeans and a T shirt I probably wont go, and as far as high heels :yikes:they were killers for me!

I love my crocks!!! The sloppier I'm dressed the happier I am! ;D

redwitch
02-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Ask Rachel Ray (extra virgin olive oil)

99.9% of the time, I'm a sweats and t-shirt kinda gal. But that 0.1% of the time, dressing to the nines is fun!

samhass
02-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Nonie, EVOO is extra virgin olive oil. Sooooo many uses.....

beady
02-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Holy Cow I must live under a rock. I have learned so much. EVOO, Astroglide. Wella etc.etc. :clap2: :clap2:
So many uses, so much fun.
I have to agree with Nonie and RW. give me comfy and casual. We lived in Maine for 12 years and I owned nothing but jeans and t-shirts. When we moved to NH I was seriously handicapped in the fashion department. Now if the colors match and it's comfy I am good to go.
Nixed the heels years ago, but do remember going to work in my 3 inch pointed toe shoes, A-line skirts and matching sweater sets and thinking I was pretty hot. 1rnfl 1rnfl

renielarson
02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Give me denim and Berkenstocks and I'm as happy as can be. Comfort is most important to me now.

I hate to admit it but I run around the house wearing pj bottoms and tshirts...oooooh so comfy.

The bra? Yikes, I hate that thing so much! And to think it all began with just two silk handkerchiefs and pink ribbon less than 100 years ago!

nONIE
02-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Wow Brightspot,

now youv'e touched on a really senstive subject,(the bra)I would have burned mine years ago if I didnt uhumm really need one. ( Whatever that means)

I live really very close to the Womans rights headquarters of this great country where women burn their bras every summer and go topless thru the streets to prove a point.

Smart women hu?, one of these days Im gonna join em, at least for the burning part.

Who in the world invented such a miserably uncomfortable garment and I keep asking myself, Why is it really necessary to wear them.

Mabe we could have a bra burning ceremony in TV, now wouldnt that go over like a lead ballon????? LOL

fraurauch
02-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Best time of the day is when you finally get to take the bra off.

renielarson
02-10-2008, 05:42 PM
fraurauch... :agree: :bow: and AMEN to taking the darned thing off!

Nonie...do you know how to build a http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/camp_fire_1.gif? We may not get a lot of women to join us but I bet we'd have a lot of company! 1rnfl

MSNPA
02-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Now I will not only be addicted to TOTV, I will be reading "Girl Talk" posts first!

What I love about living here is that I am so relaxed. I don't worry about what I look like even on a bad day. Remember when we were younger and had to look "perfect" before going out? It just does not matter here.

Speaking of hair; I am a faded blond who has been a slave to highlights. My new hairdresser suggested I go dark. I am game and almost willing to try anything. It is not like I am back home and would run into someone who would say " What did you do? "

I love the care and easy feeling here so much.

ConeyIsBabe
02-10-2008, 06:37 PM
BRAS: Unfortunately gravity has taken its toll and I must wear some sort of control-garment; hate those tight bra straps. I've found that those SPORTS BRAS are wonderful options -- also nowadays the camisoles with built-in support are another option and they are so cute and cool to wear. YES, it can go up to 100 degrees in Aug/Sept. even in Oregon!
Gosh, I hope there are no guys reading this ! ::) ::)

SHOES: I have about six pairs of Birkenstocks and my feet have become accustomed to their comfort. During my working days, I used to wear Bruno Magli's 2" sling backs at all social functions, and I felt so fashionable - I miss that. What do y'all wear at the TV dances??

pm10
02-10-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't like bras any more than any of you...................but if I didn't wear one, my knees would be chaffed (from all the rubbing). Gravity is not my friend!! ;)

chelsea24
02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
To Bra or not to Bra -- that is the question. I told you before girls from a 34C to a 34 Long. You're right, gravity is not our friend. The bra's have it! Without them, we'd all be tripping over ourselves. ;)

Casino
02-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Barefoot http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/thankyou.gif (http://www.millan.net)..
Thank You for initiating this thread. What a great idea!

What I see here is a wonderful group of ladies. Your thoughtfulness to each other and sense of humor- makes every reply worth reading.

My only wish is that I could have each one of you as a sister. Unfortunately, I missed out on that kind of relationship.

So to all of you -----Girl Power is here to stay.http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/grouphugg.gif (http://www.millan.net)

http://www.millan.net/minimations/alphabets/g.gif (http://www.millan.net)http://www.millan.net/minimations/alphabets/i.gif (http://www.millan.net)http://www.millan.net/minimations/alphabets/r.gif (http://www.millan.net)http://www.millan.net/minimations/alphabets/l.gif (http://www.millan.net)http://www.millan.net/minimations/alphabets/s.gif (http://www.millan.net) http://www.millan.net/minimations/alphabets/r.gif (http://www.millan.net)http://www.millan.net/minimations/alphabets/u.gif (http://www.millan.net)http://www.millan.net/minimations/alphabets/l.gif (http://www.millan.net)http://www.millan.net/minimations/alphabets/e.gif (http://www.millan.net)

Donna
02-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Joann,

That is the sweetest thing I have heard in a long time..http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/ferghart2.gif (http://www.millan.net)

You are so right, the bond here among all of us, is just incredible.. :agree:

It is also amazing how the guys here protect us...When a stranger comes in chat, and says something to one of us off color, the guys jump to our rescue..I think that is so nice..

They too are a great group of friends.. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/grouphugg.gif (http://www.millan.net)

We are all so lucky to have this site and each other..http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/gunghjertbar2.gif (http://www.millan.net)

Hyacinth Bucket
02-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi JP,

Why can't we all be your sisters?

I would like to have all of you for my sisters also. I know I have never met any of you, what I have learned about all of you is that you are all very caring and compassionate. That you are willing to be there for the next one.

I promise I will not let anyone know about the effects of gravity, bra issues, astroglide issues, or anything else.

Donna, that is so true what you said about the men.

So to my sisters :welcome: you are all :#1: and may we :beer3: :beer2: to that. I would be very :hot: :2excited: :hot: :2excited: to have you all as sisters. You are all so :2cool:

HB

nONIE
02-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Donna,and HB, :#1: :

:agree: :agree: :agree: heres to sisters by proxy!! :bigthumbsup:

Casino
02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
With Valentine's Day this week, here is a cute site....http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/inlove.gif (http://www.millan.net)

www.KissandTell.com

Send your special someone an email kiss and they will send $1 to WomenHeart

pm10
02-10-2008, 11:06 PM
:agree: I'd like you all for my sisters, too!! I had 3 brothers, and no sisters. Always wanted a sister - or 50!!! :bigthumbsup:

chelsea24
02-11-2008, 03:21 AM
I, for one always dress casual. But my fur's by Purina! ;)

chelsea24
02-11-2008, 03:31 AM
:o Yes! I want you all for sisters! I was an only child. Always wanted a sister and now I have so many. Thank you barefoot for starting this forum. Now we need to get onto more subjects! Love you you all. You're purrrrr-fect! :-*

Barefoot
02-11-2008, 05:15 AM
This is exactly what I imagined ..... lovehorse lovehorse lovehorse

Free spirits exchanging ideas without a worry about going "off topic" or being critcized.
I can honestly say I have met such spendid people on this TOTV site and in person. I only hope this thread and these relationships get stronger as time goes on. :bigthumbsup:

Donna
02-11-2008, 05:28 AM
OK...This is like a Sorority many years later..

Are we the Chat Pack Sisters or the TOTV Sisters???

Chi Pi Sigma...Chat Pack Sisters

Avista
02-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Any of you gals every had a hysterectomy? I'm having one next week--right here in The Villages Hospital.

renielarson
02-11-2008, 11:55 AM
This fondly reminds me of my sorority days and I'm lovin' it. TOTV would translate in Greek to Tau Omega Tau V (since there is no Greek V)...don't like that much. But I do like the sound of Chi Pi Sigma...could even shorten it to the Chi Pi's. Sorta sounds like cow pies but what the heck... ;D I can imagine t-shirts with TOTV Chi Pi's...wouldn't that be something? And it'd look like this:
TOTV
ΧΠΣ

Donna
02-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Bright..I love that one...TOTV
ΧΠΣ

redwitch
02-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Avista I had one 21 years ago -- mine was full with bikini line incision (couldn't do it vaginally because my uterus had ruptured). A couple of things that still stand -- get out of bed as soon as you can. Walk the halls with a pillow on your gut. Don't hesitate to take your pain needs when you need them, at least at first -- the less pain you feel, the more you'll be up and moving, the you're up and moving, the quicker you heal.

BTW -- If you're like me, you'll wonder why you waited so long and notice a huge improvement in how you feel within 3 months post surgery.

Good luck! If you need anything don't hesitate to shout out -- I'm only 5 minutes from the hospital (if that).

Avista
02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Red, Thanks so much for your reply and great advise. I, too, will have a "bikini cut". I have a large fibroid, and it's the only way to get it out. Surgery will be the 20th about 7:15. I"ll remember what you said about moving around and getting up. Thanks for the offer to shout if I need anything.

Donna
02-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Avista,

Best of luck to you..I know a lot of friends that have had it, and they are up and around in no time..Today they do things so different..

You will do fine :bigthumbsup:

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/4uboxsmiley.gif (http://www.millan.net)

Hyacinth Bucket
02-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi Avista,

We will be in TV when you have surgery, please let me know if I can help in any way.

I heard that you should make sure you have a pillow to sit on in the car, not the golf cart, and that you also take one to press against your stomach if you need it on the way home. And then try not to sneeze or cough.

Do you know how to stop a sneeze?

HB

beady
02-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Avista,

I will be thinking of you on the 20th and sending positive thoughts your way.

Although I have not had a hysterectomy a friend did and RW is right...... get up and get walking asap. You might be uncomfortable but the long term effects will be very positive.
As RW says shout out if you need an assistance.
Take care, beady

redwitch
02-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Ladies, I gotta say we have an awesome group here! As has been said, we may not be sisters by flesh and blood but we are definitely sisters under the skin. I am so glad to know and be part of y'all. HAPPY MONDAY!

beady
02-11-2008, 03:10 PM
I just have to comment on the bra topic.

I hate them with a passion but must wear one. Like some of the rest of my sisters, I have a "full" bosom and gravity has been unkind. I would love to wear a sports bra, but the effect is not so pretty, quite funny actually. Picture a roll extending from armpit to armpit at armpit level. Ugh!!!! I have even considered reduction surgery but never quite worked up enough need to do it. Oh woe is me!!!!! ::) ::) ::)
Love this thread ....it allows me to vent and then I feel so much better. ;D ;D

Hyacinth Bucket
02-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Since we are back to bras, when I put mine on this morning, I said to myself, another layer of clothing.

Our pipes froze, our house is quite cold, it was in the single digits when I checked the temp and that was with the sun shining and blue skies.

Now waiting for the plumber to come, the mechanic from the oil company said there is nothing he can do.

Global warming, not to sure it has come to the Mid-Hudson Valley yet. Our pipes froze last year also. They have heat tape on them and extra insulation just to protect them from bitter cold winds and weather.

Enjoy the warmth in TV for us.

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
02-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Has anyone noticed there is now a new Forum on TOTV - Feminine Forum.

Can you imagine we now have our own forum site.

What next?

HB

redwitch
02-11-2008, 03:38 PM
We start new threads so this one doesn't become too unwieldy and then we can merrily hijack to our hearts' content? ;D

Hyacinth Bucket
02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
How sweet it is.

Remember you have a date after Feb. 17th for a hair dye.

HB

Boomer
02-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Avista,

I will be thinking of you, and it sounds like the local support group is already gathering around you. You will do just fine.

Boomer

Hyacinth Bucket
02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I think it is just wonderful that we have our own site and can tell each other what is going on with us.

It is great to be a part of a larger family of sisters where everyone responded so positive and so fast to Avista and Avista felt comfortable to putting out to us what is happening to her

A very good and warm feeling.

HB

another Linda
02-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Avista -- I also had one about 10 years ago along with a bladder repair (too many big babies!). In total it took me 6 weeks before I was really back to normal, but I was told that it was the bladder repair that took longer. I also second RW when she says up and moving ASAP. Won't be fun at first, but every day will be easier. -- Linda

Avista
02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your best wishes, support and good advise.. We've only been in The Villages about a year, and it feels good to have friends.

We should have a girls lunch out sometime.

chelsea24
02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
New topic! Sneeze, Cough, Laugh, Pee? Or is it just me? :dontknow:

Discuss, discuss . . . ;)

Hyacinth Bucket
02-11-2008, 06:43 PM
No Chel, you left out bending and other exercises.

HB

another Linda
02-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Bladder repair is the word!

Hyacinth Bucket
02-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi Another Linda,

I am not a good candidate for that surgery. Also have fibroid tumors that adds to the problem.

Thanks for the good advice though.

HB

ouma1938
02-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Just found this forum and thread and am now in deep trouble. I can't bear to leave it. And I love having tons of new sisters. 040 :clap2: :2cool: :beer3: Avista I had a hysterectomy 38 years ago and have never looked back. Everyone's advice is excellent and if you get up and about soon, use the pillow, try not to sneeze, and take your pain meds you will soon be fully recovered and feeling terrific. I am not in TV yet but will be thinking of you on the 20th.

nONIE
02-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Chels,

NO! Its not just you. This is a very common problem among women our age. An embarassing one at that. I have 2 friends up north who had the bladder surgery and it was unsucessful. Also heard from other women that the surgery did not help. I really dont understand why it does not help in many cases. Any nurses out there who might have the answer to this??

I really wonder if guys have this problem, they would probably never admit it right? After all, arent men almost perfect??? ;D

redwitch
02-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Not a nurse but here's how my doc explained it to me. The bladder rests against the uterus (lazy bugger that it is). If you've had a hysterectomy, it is now folded almost in half and really doesn't like standing straight up -- it will try to lean against the pubic bone which causes pressure and voila, we need to pee or ELSE! If you still have your uterus, the walls are not as strong, it has gotten smaller and you have some of the same issues. I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but at least this one made sense to me.

islandgal
02-12-2008, 01:03 AM
OMG - Y'all have made me so happy. I miss my buddies where I moved from and really have yet to find any here.
Love being able to chat like this and hear from and about each of you.
Thank you..... We should have a GNO (Girls Night Out)!!!!! wav

Boomer
02-12-2008, 01:32 AM
I think we may be getting close to the subject of HRT. I know that when I get together with other women my age, HRT is always a "hot" topic.

There were two books that came out early in 2007 that I read cover to cover and passed around to friends. Hot Flashes, Hormones, & Your Health by Joann Manson, M.D. and The Hormone Decision by Tara Parker Pope who is a health columnist for the Wall Street Journal. Christiane Northrup has recently updated The Wisdom of Menopause. The information in these books revisits the big study that hit the news in 2002.

Now that the osteoporosis drugs have hit the market, they are being heavily prescribed for bone density. But there is so much more to the issue of HRT. And each woman's personal health history must certainly dictate her decision.

Any comments or information on HRT?

ilovesoup
02-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Hey Barefoot and Redwitch,
I've gone grey by using "Fanciful", a wash out rinse, until my grey was all out. I used a blonde color, worked well. I'm all white now and love it!

Barefoot
02-12-2008, 02:55 AM
Any of you gals every had a hysterectomy? I'm having one next week--right here in The Villages Hospital.

Do you need someone to look after your dog? I'll volunteer.

Barefoot
02-12-2008, 03:00 AM
New topic! Sneeze, Cough, Laugh, Pee? Or is it just me? :dontknow:
Discuss, discuss . . . ;)

I tried jumping on a neighbour's trampoline. Definitely a no-no if you have the above problem!! ;D

ConeyIsBabe
02-12-2008, 03:13 AM
I can only speak for myself but I have always resented the pharmaceutical companies' attitude that normal ageing is something like having a disease and we need a magic PILL to keep us normal and young. NO, I didn't buy into it. I survived menopause without HRT. Although I do have osteopenia, I am taking my calcium, eating the right foods, trying to exercise as much as I can, and so far I can proudly say..... I'm 69 years old and take NO prescribed medication for any reason. I even lowered my cholesterol from 267 to 177 by changing what I eat. It's a lifestyle comittment without drugs ;D ;D ;D

chelsea24
02-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Went through Men-o-paws! Had terrible hot flashes, but I didn't want to take the estrogen. Then someone told me about a natural herb (I think it's a herb) called Black Cohaush (The spelling might not be correct) Poof! The hot flashes were gone and never came back. I then told my doc about it because she had tried to put me on estrogen 3 different times and doses, but it made me feel sick. So when I told her about Black Cohaush, she said "yup, it's great. We're just not suppose to recommend natural Health Food Store stuff! Can you believe it! She not only knew about it all the time, she said it was great! I was more than a little po'd! Well I'm long past it -- ahh those were the good old days, NOT!
http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/swear1.gif (http://www.millan.net)

Barefoot
02-12-2008, 03:45 AM
When I was 20, I started attending College in California. Most of my fellow students had known each other in high school and were younger than me. I felt like an outsider, being from Canada, and not having any friends.

I was taking a Political Science class and pretty much trying to be invisible and cool at the same time. Our desks were attached to our chairs. I dropped my pen and leaned over to pick it up. The next thing I knew I was lying on the floor with my desk on top of me. Talk about humiliation. :redface: I can still remember it vividly, but now I can see the humour! ;D

Anyone else have an embarassing moment they care to share? Should be good for a laugh.

Donna
02-12-2008, 03:51 AM
Barefoot,
You are making me die... 1rnfl

I have a good one..I was at a wedding and my X boyfriend was there with another girl.. :cus: :barf:

I too was about 20..I got in line to catch the bouquet and jumped up, well needless to say I ended up on the floor with the bouquet on top of me.. 040 1rnfl

Hyacinth Bucket
02-12-2008, 03:57 AM
When I was about 19 years old, this fellow who I had a crush on asked me out

We went bowling, I wanted to impress him with my skills, I put my arm back and instead of taking the bowling ball with my arm, I somehow dropped it and it went flying backwards.

Now I can laugh at it, but then I wished the floor would open up so I could fall into it. I was so embarrassed.

HB

Avista
02-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Do you need someone to look after your dog? I'll volunteer.

Thanks Barefoot, Appreciate the offer. My husband will look after them. They are sooo spoiled and I"m sure I'll have to keep a pillow on my tummy as they jump up on me as soon as I sit down. I know they won't leave my side after I get home.

Barefoot
02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks Barefoot, Appreciate the offer. My husband will look after them. They are sooo spoiled and I"m sure I'll have to keep a pillow on my tummy as they jump up on me as soon as I sit down. I know they won't leave my side after I get home.

If your husband is at the hospital for long periods of time and you need someone to walk the dogs, please let me know. (Especially on the day of surgery). When I was in hospital for a long time the best thing my friends did for us was walk my dogs.

I bet your furry friends will be a real source of joy for you as you heal. Good luck and may the Divine Goddess watch over you.

nONIE
02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
OMG, when I was about 14 I was madly in love with a 13 year old boy in the neighborhood. He walked me home from school one day and I decided this was the day I was gonna plant one on him. When he turned to say goodbye I lunged at him to kiss him and I missed his face and kissed the mailbox behind him.

I still turn red every time I thinkd of it!!! :redface:

chelsea24
02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Mortifying moment. It was my 8th grade graduation party and I had a mad crush on a sophomore in high school so I invited him. All the "cool" kids were there in my yard and Bobby (sigh) shows up. Well, not knowing, my father had heard he was in trouble with the police and being the protective father he was . . . we all watched as my Dad (Fast Eddie) chased Bobby down the alley with a baseball bat! :redface: :redface:

That's my Pop!

redwitch
02-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Since my dad died when I was kid and my brother was 7 years older, he decided to be my "protector." One night I was in the car with my boy friend and the windows were all steamed up. All of a sudden, the passenger door was forcefully thrown open and I literally fell to the ground because I was leaning on it. (We had only been talking about our future together and had come to the conclusion there was no future for us.) To say I was embarassed was putting it mildly. To make matters worse, my by then ex-boy friend told everyone at school about my brother (who was 6'5" and very well muscled). I think it was 6 months before I got another date.

pm10
02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Avista, I had a hysterectomy 20 yrs ago - and for me, too, it was the best thing! It takes a while to get your strength back - but just relax and let the world go by for a short time. The problem I had, was that I felt too good right away; and had to be told (by my fairly-doting husband) to let him take care of things, and relax.

Actually one of my most embarrasing moments, was when I was in the hosp after having my hysterectomy. My doctor (who was handsome, and sweet) came in and wanted to check me. I had had a vaginal hysterectomy..............so I laid back and threw my legs wide open. Only to have him say "just turn on your side, please." God, I was looking for Scotty to beam me up!

Donna
02-12-2008, 07:41 PM
PM..Red..Chel...Noni

You guys are makin me bust... 1rnfl http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/laugh3.gif (http://www.millan.net) 1rnfl http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/lmaosmiley.gif (http://www.millan.net) 1rnfl http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/coffeescreen.gif (http://www.millan.net) 1rnfl http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/teehee2.gif (http://www.millan.net) 1rnfl

pm10
02-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I just realized...............you friends are calling me PM................if there was two of me, we'd be............ PMS :-* :-* :-* :-*

redwitch
02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
As long as you're not PMSing, it's all good. ;)

Barefoot
02-13-2008, 12:55 AM
PM, your story about your "mistake" with your doctor was a hoot. It reminded me of something.

When I was having a mammogram, they found something suspicious in one boob and asked the radiologist to come in and speak with me. He was a good looking young guy. I was mesmerized by his blue eyes.

He came in the room where I was having the mammogram and held out his hand. I placed my boob in his hand. But what he really wanted was to shake hands with me.

My face is still red. :redface: :redface:

Donna
02-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Now that story is a classic...Maybe your new name should be...Bareboob.. :clap2: :clap2: 1rnfl 040 :a20: :a20:

Casino
02-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Good Evening Sisters,
I just wanted to remind everyone who reads this to send Village Kid an email. Tomorrow is her birthday.

Maybe you can http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/choir.gif (http://www.millan.net) to her at the TOTV meeting this week.

Just another Sister

Barefoot
02-13-2008, 01:07 AM
Joann, thanks for the reminder.

islandgal
02-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Ok Gals - gotta get back to those exercises!! :hot: :hot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKRZv6NGjdc

renielarson
02-13-2008, 01:19 AM
My experience wasn't so embarrassing as mortifying...

I was a freshman in college and very naive...first year living away from a very protective mother and father. I had a first date with a frat brat and after a night of partying he invited me to come tour his frat house. I was so excited. Well, the tour ended in his bedroom. Needless to say what he had on his mind.

At this moment I realized it was past curfew at my sorority and I was stuck in his bedroom. Had I returned to the sorority house past hours I would have been put on probation and my parents notified. Luckily, he was a little over intoxicated and passed out on his bed. What to do!

I snuck out into the hallway where there was a phone and called a sorority sister who made my bed up to look like I was there...so at bed check our house mother would never know I was gone. Plus, she and I made a plan. Whew...was I relieved.

However, too afraid to sleep for fear of him waking up, I sat in a chair next to his bed, wide awake all night long. About 6 am...I walked back to my sorority house, climbed a trellis in the back to the 2nd floor and was greeted by sorority sisters waiting in an open window.

I was saved!

redwitch
02-13-2008, 01:31 AM
WIW -- What a video. I wasn't that flexible at 20! But I think my boobs were about as big hers back then (course, that could just be wishful thinking).

Time for Tee
02-13-2008, 01:33 AM
040 040 040 The stories are so funny and so true! 1rnfl My worst time was when my boyfriend and I were going to a very fancy Country Club in Chicago for a graduation party. He in his tux (from Maxwell Stree flea market) and I in my formal arrived in our beat up car. The doorman opened the door for me and it fell off! I knew that it was in bad shape but not that bad. I still married the bum even if we did lose our image as a classy couple.
I have found Wella for all of you gals! I was blonde and highlighted my hair for many, many years. Now I have dark blonde hair and the gray takes its place at the moment. Have been to at least 5 SALONS trying to just get my hair cut. They snip, snip, and I really never see much hair on the floor or on the cape. I was about to start chopping myself and discovered the Urban Hair Studio in Oxford. Finally had a decent haircut so I could manage with the heat and humidity (fine hair). I picked up their price and menu of their services;
WELLA Color Perfect is $55.00 and up
Kolestone color is $65.00 and up
They also do hair extensions and many other things. They are in the area of Bella Lighting and the consignment store but across the street. Have only been there one month and I saw their ad in the paper. I have never heard of Wella before until this site so hope it will help everyone fix the roots!
Jane :clap2:

Barefoot
02-13-2008, 01:41 AM
I went to Root466 and was really disappointed. My scheduled beautician never showed up (she was tied up in a meeting??) So they gave me a 17 year old, I think I was her first customer.

Do you have anyone you can recommend at Urban Hair in Oxford?

Time for Tee
02-13-2008, 02:07 AM
The owners are Samanta and Victoria and very nice and anxious for your business. I went to their new operator who is just moved here and I believe taught hair coloring in her former shop. She did a decent hair cut but for the life of me I am not real sure what her name is but I think Erica. Sam seems to do well as I was watching her.
I would go over as it is not far and check it out. If you call they are giving the new girl business so she can build up her appointments. They are just starting out with the business but the owners have worked in other shops from what I could find out.
My cut with style was $30.00 and just a haircut was $20.00. They are open 9 to 5 and are on 4036 C.R. 106 Oxford. I also tried Root 66 and they gave me one that I think just graduated. When I tried one shop they were try to sell me everything that they have in the store or services. This place is very low key.

Jane

Barefoot
02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Face Products

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a nice tinted moisturer. My usual procedure when buying cosmetics if to drag home 4 or 5 different alternatives before I find something I like. :dontknow: What a waste of money! So I'm looking for recommendations.

I use a Canadian brand that isn't available in Florida. I'm looking for a product that isn't thick or greasy, and doesn't really offer much coverage, but provides a hint of colour and evens out skin tones.

(BTW, I think I'll try Urban Hair Studio in Oxford for my next hair cut and colour. Will let you know how it works out!) Thanks for the info. ;D

Donna
02-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I only wish my brother Mark was alive to hear this talk about hairdressers..

He worked on 57th Street & 5th Ave for 25 years, he did the Ford Models, worked for Bruno Le Salon, Vidal Sasoon, The Waldorf Astoria..to name a few...

So many movie stars as well..He had 3 salons in the Pocono's and now I own the last one he opened, Mark Anthony Salon...The woman adored him because they got a New York haircut that was like no other...

Barefoot
02-13-2008, 08:44 PM
I also decided today that maybe I should buy a wig. I sometimes watch The View and one of the gals (Sherry) has a different wig on each day. I wonder if that would be a solution for those bad hair days?

Anyone have any experience with wigs? Anyone know a place in TV that sells wige?

nONIE
02-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Barefoot,

There is a great wig place at Mkts. of Marion with many many colors and styles to chose from. They are very inexpensive and the owner does a great job of fitting you and is super helpful.

Ill be glad to go with you anytime you want to go. That one of my favorite flea mkts and Ill use any excuse to go there!! ;D

redwitch
02-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Think it was today, maybe yesterday, but the Sun had an article of a new shop opening that was selling wigs. She sells synthetics but can order real hair if you want. From the pics, they looked like pretty good wigs.

Mintjulep
02-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Couldn't tolerate the full wig thing, but LOVE my pieces. Have several 'phony ponies' with different lengths and amounts of curl. And they can really save me on a bad hair day or if I'm in a hurry. Just stick your own hair in a pony tail and attach the piece over it. It's not hot or uncomfortable. And they're usually about 30 to $40 for a nice one.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Hi,

Face Products, I put a little liquid make up coloring into my favorite lotion - do it slowly so that I do not get a color I do not like. Shake it up - and it works - covers blemishes and moisturizes my skin at the same time.

I have a childhood friend who told me a few months ago that she had been wearing a wig for years. Never knew it - it looked natural. I will get the name of the company. I know they weren't expensive.

HB

Boomer
02-14-2008, 03:42 AM
Face Products

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a nice tinted moisturer. My usual procedure when buying cosmetics if to drag home 4 or 5 different alternatives before I find something I like. :dontknow: What a waste of money! So I'm looking for recommendations.

I use a Canadian brand that isn't available in Florida. I'm looking for a product that isn't thick or greasy, and doesn't really offer much coverage, but provides a hint of colour and evens out skin tones.

(BTW, I think I'll try Urban Hair Studio in Oxford for my next hair cut and colour. Will let you know how it works out!) Thanks for the info. ;D

When I was in TV, the brand new Merle Norman had just opened. It is on the road that is on the far south end of TV. (I'm too lazy to go find my map tonight, but you'll know where I mean.) It's in the area of the new housing construction, and the shopping plaza where it is located was new, too.

The people who owned it were there at the time - really nice people. It had literally just opened I think.

Anyway, I was in search of such a moisturizer. The woman who helped me was great. She suggested this one, and I really like it: Luxiva Sheer Defense Tinted Moisturizer.

The nice thing about that Merle Norman was that the women who were working there knew all about just the kind of stuff that women of a certain age want. - nothing greasy, nothing cakey. We all work very, very hard to look this natural.

chelsea24
02-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Boomer, I'm with you. I have always loved Merle Norman products. They mostly did away with them in Illinois and when we moved here in November, I was so happy to see one near me. :bigthumbsup:

Barefoot
02-14-2008, 05:26 AM
BBB, if you get a surge of energy I'd love to know where Merle Norman is located (perhaps the new plaza on 466A?) I've never tried MN products, but I'll sure give them a try.

Nonie, wigs at Markets of Marion? Sure thing, let's go. They probably have hair pieces also, never thought of that option (thanks Mintjulep). I've never been to the Markets and would like to go sometime. I didn't see the article in the Daily Sun about a new wig shop.

Hope to see all the sisters at Crispers on Friday!

Boomer
02-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Chelsea,

I think [i]Merle Norman[i] must be a franchise. Where I live they are mostly gone, too. I did go to one here about a year or so ago, and the person working there was some surly kid. I don't know why people invest in businesses and then leave them in the hands of people who don't know what they are doing.

Not only was the advice good at the one in TV, I really had fun. They were talking about how they needed to get different mirrors because the ones they had were on stands that were too short. (Women of a certain age do not want to look DOWN into a mirror. That's for sure.) I hope they replaced those short-stand mirrors. They were planning to do so immediately. The owners were so nice - from the Midwest, I think. :bigthumbsup:

(Oh, no. I just looked at Preview and realized this whole damned thing is in italics. I don't even care anymore. I am not going to try to fix it. I am going to bed.)

Boomer
02-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Barefoot,

I think it was 466A. It was a brand new shopping area and a brand new store so I bet that's it.

Another topic -- a warning to the girls ---

I was snooping in the thread about your lunch and someone mentioned chocolate martinis. I don't know if you will be having any of those, but keep an eye on your own if you do.

Here's why:

We were out to lunch one day, and there were two women sitting at a table opposite us, but back slightly farther. I have an absolutely obnoxious habit - or maybe it's a gift - of being able to carry on a perfectly lucid conversation with whoever I'm with, while I automatically filter in any conversation going on within a certain range. (If it's an interesting conversation that is.) I don't really try to do this. It just happens. Always has. Mr. BB thinks I should be a spy.

Anyway, these two women were :edit: and :edit: about their stressful jobs as they drank their $8.00 chocolate martinis.

Well, at one point, one of the two excused herself to the ladies' room, leaving half of a chocolate martini on the table to finish when she returned.

You all guessed it, didn't you? The woman left alone at the table reached across and slurped down as much as she could of her friend's martini, leaving just enough so that it was not completely obvious.

You girls who like these things do know, don't you, that it has to be a really good vodka and a really nice chocolate liqueur. But did you know that splashing it with a little Baileys makes it perfect?

renielarson
02-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Merle Norman...I don't know where the new one is located but there is one just down a few doors from Belks on 441/27. I went there last summer to get my nails done, although I would not recommend the nail tech.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Boomer do you have the "recipe?"

I think it was the WALTONS show that had the sisters on it and the "recipe" that everyone liked.

This is one drink I know I will like - it is high in calories and has a creamy texture. You guessed it, I am not, overly fond of dry red wines.

So heres to :beer3: :beer2: in the wrong glass - the Administrators I think should add wine or champagne glasses also. They probably just thought of their own favorite drink.

I feel sorry for all the TV'ers and wannabees who do not come to this site - they do not know what they are missing.

So to all my sisters I raise my glass of Choclolate Martini with a large splash of Baileys.

Hyacinth Bucket

Boomer
02-14-2008, 01:47 PM
OK.

It's morning. I'm back.

It is not the Merle Norman that Brightspot mentioned. That is the one that is closer to Spanish Springs.

I dug out the map this morning - 466A has to be it. It's the south end of the south side of TV. Colony Plaza sounds familiar.

I checked the Merle Norman website this morning. It says there are two there BUT it shows the other one TWICE -with no mention of the new one that I can find in the "Store Locater" section of the site. The owners should check the national web site. When you are paying costs to be a part of a franchise, the franchise really should acknowledge your existence.
H-m-m-m. Could this be why Merle Norman stores are becoming few and far between these days? Sales support from the franchise is crucial.

If any of you decide to set out to locate this place, I hope you like it. Like all of you, my impression of a place to do business is, first of all, about what kind of service the people who work there provide. I can only speak for the help I received. I hope it is still as good.

Boomer
02-14-2008, 03:17 PM

I think it was the WALTONS show that had the sisters on it and the "recipe" that everyone liked.

This is one drink I know I will like - it is high in calories and has a creamy texture. You guessed it, I am not, overly fond of dry red wines.

So heres to :beer3: :beer2: in the wrong glass - the Administrators I think should add wine or champagne glasses also. They probably just thought of their own favorite drink.

I feel sorry for all the TV'ers and wannabees who do not come to this site - they do not know what they are missing.

So to all my sisters I raise my glass of Choclolate Martini with a large splash of Baileys.

Hyacinth Bucket

Ms. Bouquet,

I don't exactly have the recipe you requested but I do have a general idea. I know how to chat up a bartender, but sometimes there are nuances that you have to work out for yourself. (We also tip any bartender especially well who is willing to share a secret.)

So here is what she told me: She uses Stoli vodka.- plain vodka, not the flavored stuff (There are other good brands of vodka, too.) The liqueur is Godiva. (I don't know if there are any others.) And Baileys, of course, is Baileys. She shakes the vodka and the chocolate liqueur with ice and then strains the ice out when she pours the drink into the martini glass.

Here's where I get pretty fuzzy. I am not sure of the proportions of the vodka and the Godiva. It may be one to one. But this version is not sickeningly sweet so she may be lighter on the Godiva. And I believe the splash of Baileys is a pretty light one. I am also not sure if the Baileys goes into the shaker with the rest or just gets to splash in after it's in the glass.

It seems like if there are members of The Sisterhood down there in TV who find this interesting, they may want to go to the liquor store, gather at someone's house, and do a little research on these proportions. --like a wine tasting - only far less need to be elegant. If you do this, you will likely find that some prefer a sweeter version. Some prefer more Baileys - less Baileys - whatever. But you could probably have a lot of fun.

But if you do such a thing, be sure that you have someone to drive you home. Even though these things appear to be quite froo froo, they will sneak up and kick you from behind. Be careful

Well, I need to get off of this computer. I actually have a life today. And I am beginning to feel like I am lapsing into the "Boomer Chronicles" or something.

mustleavemyhousemustleavemyhousemustleavemyhousemu stleavemyhouse

samhass
02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
You ladies should try an Oatmeal Cookie. In a 1 cup measure, put in 3/4 c Bailys, 1/4 c Butter Shots (Butterscotch schnapps) and about a tsp of Goldschlager (a cinnamon cordial).
Shake and our over crushed iced that is packed to the top of your glass. It is delicious.
Men love it, too.
I never measure when I make this, so the amounts above are approximate. Just don't put in to much Goldschlager.

Boomer
02-14-2008, 04:38 PM
SAm,

That one sounds good, too. And I bet it smells wonderful. - maybe even dab a little behind the ears.

Boomer

samhass
02-14-2008, 11:46 PM
It's delicious...and it doesn't go to your head...it goes to your arse...and thighs.

Barefoot
02-15-2008, 02:50 AM

Hyacinth Bucket

Hi, you're here, I'm so excited!!

Hyacinth Bucket
02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi, WE MADE IT. In spite of ice storms and every other weather system.

Rode through the main street of Ocala and there is a Merle Norman there.

Now have to unpack.

See you all later.

HB

beady
02-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Glad you made it, HB 040 040.
Hope to see you at Crispers. Forget the unpacking ,come meet all the TOTV peeps.

samhass
02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi HB, we're thankful you had a safe trip to TV.

Donna
02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
HB,
So glad you mad it safe and sound...See ya soon..

Have a great time at the luncheon :bigthumbsup:

Hyacinth Bucket
02-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Hi Everyone, It was so wonderful meeting all of you. It just felt so good, that I have no words to express what I am still feeling.

You are all so warm, friendly and outgoing - feel like I have known you my whole life.

To all of you who came and to all of my sisters who were unable to come I think you are one of the most fantastic group I have the honor of knowing.

Hyacinth Bucket

redwitch
02-16-2008, 02:52 AM
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Hyacinth Bucket
02-16-2008, 02:56 AM
I had one of my most embarrassing moments today. Felt like a Country Bumpkin - no offense meant.

We just found out we have a major problem with the house, someone from the Water Department came out immediately. Since he was so knowledgeable about plants I asked him a couple of questions, perhaps more than a couple.

I pointed out the lemon tree and asked what we could do so that we could get lemons next year. I told him that the previous owners said there were none this year. He looks at the tree from about 30 feet away and says you have lemons. He then proceeded to walk over to the tree and showed me the lemons and all the blossoms on the tree.

I was speechless. Did not know what to say.
Anyway that was my day. We have 8 lemons on the tree.

HB

samhass
02-16-2008, 03:22 AM
Dear HB,
Having citrus trees in my yard is one of the joys of living here. I have a mini orchard and I love it!! For lemons I have the Ponderosa and the Meyer. The Meyers are wonderful.
The lemons and limes that I have are everbearing. How cool is that???

Barefoot
02-16-2008, 03:33 AM
Samhass
Obviously you're the one to answer my stupid questions. (We don't have citrus trees in Canada.) :dontknow: We have a key lime tree and a grapefruit tree that have had fruit ever since we arrived in October. Is there a specific time of year to pick fruit? The limes were green but are now yellow (but still seem to be fine when I occasionally pick one). Should I have picked everything by now? Duh.

Also, the leaves look a little spotty. Do citrus trees have to be sprayed regularly?

Thanks.
BF

beady
02-16-2008, 04:37 AM
Samhass:
I am as curious as Barefoot about care and feeding of fruit trees. We are about to do some re-landscaping and I would like some fruit trees. Would you share what you know and the success you have had with your mini-orchard? :bow: :bow:

Barefoot
02-16-2008, 07:57 AM
I must also say, Samhass, that you are very pretty. Now that I'm old I can say whatever I think. (I always feel a compliment from another women is even better than from a man.)

Barefoot
02-16-2008, 03:38 PM
I checked out Urban Hair in Oxford yesterday, I think I'll book with them next time.
They do have wella hair colouring. Looks promising.

beady
02-16-2008, 03:53 PM
I have been going to Root 466(at Southern Trace). Was very happy with my first cut. When I returned 4 weeks later and made some suggestions I could tell the stylist was stumped. The cut I got was not what I wanted , but not a total disaster. Yesterday I had my hair highlighted and I like the results but I have come to a conclusion about Root 466. They are all new hairstylists, maybe just out of the academy and not yet totally confident. That's understandable but I do not want to "participate" in their learning curve.
Next stop? Maybe Urban Hair. Anyone have any other suggestions.
Oh, how I miss my guy Derek up in NH. :'( :'(

islandgal
02-16-2008, 04:31 PM
beady -
Don't know if you are into razor cuts, but I have found the best guy in years for my bob-type style. I am sure he would be good at all styles. He has experience in Europe and LA and moved here to be near his parents in Ocala. It took two years for me to find someone I like here.
Kevin@
Salon Saint T - located in the plaza on 441 where Sears and Isabella Restaurant are.
245-2000
Good luck....

nONIE
02-16-2008, 04:51 PM
wiw1819,

What does the razor cut do for the hair versus the scissors cut. I am very curious because when I was much younger (uhummm) I had a razor cut and I loved it. The best haircut I ever had.

I may just go to your hair guy. I never have my hair cut because I am always disappointed in the results but this definitely caught my attention. Thanks.

Boomer
02-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Thank you all around...

Barefoot,

I don't know if I ever thanked you for starting all this. -- so if not, I want to sincerely say thank you.

Other women are the only ones who can truly understand how we are about our hair color.

That morning, a week or so ago, when you started all this, I truly was trying to get away from my computer. But instead, I jumped in immediately with my question about where to find Wella.

And, lo and behold, before 10:00 AM, that very day, Donna had come to my rescue with her post, offering not only a connection to the product but also the advice of an expert.

It is wonderful to have professional hairdressers among us here because they well know the ins and outs of the business.

So anyway, thank you, to all of you who have guided me on my quest for the perfect hair color, so far from home. It seems that Wella Wonderland also exists in TV. I had to give up while I was there. Who knew? -- all I had to do was ask on TOTV.

islandgal
02-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Nonie -
A razor cut is layered, especially good for straight hair. You only have to brush it dry - easy - if you have the right cut. (Katie Holmes just had a razor cut bob - unfortunately, mine doesn't look like that!!!!, but whose does?!!!)
Anyway, I think with Kevin's experience, I would give him a try. He is great about giving his recommendations if you ask for them.
Let me know if you do give him a try.

Donna
02-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Noni,

Just my 2 cents on this..If a razor cut is done by a hairdresser that is not proficient in his/her field, it will look like a chopped up mess, especially on straight hair...

When you have curly hair, the mistakes are easy to cover up...NOT on straight hair...

islandgal
02-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Donna - How well I know that.

I've had a few disastrous razor cuts since I have been here. When you ask in a shop if there is anyone who can do a razor cut, they always say yes. When I saw the write up in Style Magazine about Kevin and his razor cuts and his previous experience, I called and have been so pleased.

I forgot, you have a shop so you should know, for sure!!!!

Boomer
02-16-2008, 05:48 PM
wiw1819,

Thank you for the name of someone who keeps up on techniques for cutting hair. Razor cuts can be great.

I also never thanked you for linking that "Man Cold" thing into the other thread about "Why men..." when I asked for help. I am glad you liked it. It always makes me laugh.

I wish I could figure out what the last remark the paramedic makes to the wife is and about what the husband says he wants with his soup. I think he wants to watch something on TV. I can't catch what they are saying in those two spots. I love British humor, but sometimes I can't quite pick up all of it.

Anyway, thanks.

Boomer

islandgal
02-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Boomer - Thank you.
You are not losing your hearing!! I have played "Man Cold" over and over and can't understand him. I also sent it to personal friends and have received hilarious comments from them.

Maybe someone else has been able to decipher it??

Boomer
02-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Boomer - Thank you.
You are not losing your hearing!! I have played "Man Cold" over and over and can't understand him. I also sent it to personal friends and have received hilarious comments from them.

Maybe someone else has been able to decipher it??

My daughter sent that to me. It is really making the circuit with her generation.

Maybe this is the beginning of another quest and someone will finally be able to tell us what those last couple of lines are.

Barefoot
02-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Kevin@ Salon Saint T - located in the plaza on 441 where Sears and Isabella Restaurant are.
245-2000

Wiw
I'm due for a hair cut and I'm definitely booking this week with Kevin. :#1: Thanks SO much for your suggestion.

I'll post here how my haircut goes. If I see you at the Town Square and I'm wearing a hat, probably not so successful! ;)

Hey, it always grows back.

Barefoot
02-17-2008, 03:04 AM
Someone mentioned menopause earlier and I am wondering, just how friggin long does it take for this to be over, lol! I am driving myself bonkers and everyone else too, for which I totally apologize. Help!!

I have a friend who has been having vicious hot spells for 25 years. Many friends who experience some discomfort, mostly at night, causing insomnia. And others that have sailed right through and hardly noticed. Chocolate, caffeine and red wine are supposed to be verboten, but a gal's gotta have some fun! I'm so used to dressing in layers I just do it automatically! ;D

Mood swings? Who knows if they're caused by hormones, or perhaps just seeing yourself and your friends age, and time flying by. HRT helped a lot, but then we discovered it was baaaaad for you. Herbal remedies work for some people, but most of my friends have tried cohosh, red clover, etc., with no success.

I think it is so individual! But perhaps talking to older females that are related to you would provide some clues as to what you can expect. Be kind to yourself, and good luck with it. It's not fun driving yourself bonkers.

Been there, done that
BF

Hyacinth Bucket
02-17-2008, 03:08 AM
Hi, I used Evening Primrose Oil - it helped quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

HB

pm10
02-17-2008, 03:47 AM
I have been on estrogen since I started with terrible hot flashes and night sweats. It's been a life saver. I know all the controversy with estrogen...........but my doc and I weighed the pros and cons (I have no breast cancer in my family - and I do have osteoporosis very close in the family) - and we decided that, for now at least, I would take the estrogen. Each person's picture is different. If you can find a herbal help, go for it.

samhass
02-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Dear Barefoot, All I can say is a heartfelt thanks for your kind compliment. Thanks!!
As for the citrus. I take a spray bottle filled with water,dish detergent and a little bit of canola oil and spray every 3-4 weeks . I use about 8 oz of water/ 2 T dish soap/ 1T oil. I buy citrus fertilizer at Walmart and just follow the directions. The lemons and limes are filled with the most delicious smelling blossoms right now. Oh...don't mulch the roots of your citrus. I'm told they do not like it.
Oh I do love it here. Deb

samhass
02-17-2008, 05:24 AM
And another thing..The Salon Academy has some decent haircutters. I used Shannon and was very pleased. I will go back.
I also had a manicure. The paint chipped within 24 hours. :(

redwitch
02-17-2008, 12:10 PM
And those at the TOTV luncheon know I LOVED Shannon!

samhass
02-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Guess we'll have to follow Shannon to her new salon. All the girls at the Academy appeared to have cutting edge haircuts. I saw no old lady hair. Last nt at LSL I saw a woman with a beautiful face but she had old lady hair. She needs to go to the Academy for an update so she can be totally gorgeous.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi -

Where is the Academy. I need a trim and a perm. I am in the process of letting my hair grow so I can donate it to Locks of Love.

I usually have short hair and am finding as my hair gets longer I know less and less what to do with it.

Thanks,

HB

samhass
02-17-2008, 03:01 PM
It's back behind Golden Corral on 466. It's The Salon Academy. There's also a coupon in the Sun for a perm, cut and style for $35. If you get perms, that's a great price.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Sam, I can not believe that price. We have today Sun, is it in todays' paper?

HB

Avista
02-17-2008, 04:17 PM
I love the Salon Academy for haircuts, color and pedicures. When I find someone I like I stay with her until she graduates. Then I ask her to recommend someone in the next class. These referrals have worked out great for me. It usually takes a little longer than in a regular salon, but , hey, I have no children at home I need to get home to. I can take my time and let them fuss over me. <smile> :bigthumbsup:

PS I"m currently with Leora, but she is graduating soon,

marianne237
02-17-2008, 04:32 PM
We were without a computer for a while, and lost all the listings in my "favorites"...so missed this site! Finally back on and love this "girl friend" topic.

Did want to make a mention to Avista and anyone else who needs it about a website that helped me during my hysterectomy: hystersisters.com. Go see what it's all about and they have forums like this that answer your questions....no embarassment about asking anything! And Avista, do have a pillow near by all the time with your dogs there (talking from experience).

And I have a question too. Up north, urologists did operations to repair bladders, not ob-gyns. I've been told down here (Florida) that gynecologists do the surgery, not urologists.
I'm confused. Any ideas which way to go? :o

beady
02-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Samhass:

Thanks for the citrus tips. I am definately going to plant some Meyers lemons. Hope I have your success.
Thanks again for the Academy info; certainly worth a try.

Have fun with your grandaughter, I'm going to spend a week with mine in NC next week, and then they will be here for the last week in March. Can't wait. ;D ;D

redwitch
02-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Some things to know about Locks of Love -- they will take any 10 inches or more of hair donated but the reality is that much of it has to be thrown away. Only about 15-20% of the hair donated is actually useable for wigs. If you dye or perm your hair, it is probably not strong enough to make a wig. If you are more than 5% grey, they cannot use your hair. So, if you're growing your hair for locks of love, it is a wonderful idea but more than likely an act of futility. Grow it long because you want to see it that length or because you want a very special cut and think it will be better starting with long hair.

In case you're wondering, I got the info from a friend of mine who works for Locks of Love in Southern California. This is really info they don't want passed around because they're afraid that some people with usable hair won't donate if they find out how much hair is thrown away.

Avista
02-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Marianne, I have found Hystersisters. What a great site that is. Lots of info offered.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Red thank you for that info. My hair is more than 5% grey, it has been permed and dyed. I guess I struck out on all three counts. I have been growing my hair for over three years, I knew about the 10 inches.

One of my grand daughters donated her hair and I wanted to do what she did. Guess that is not to be the case. I would guess they used her hair, no grey, never had a perm or colored her hair. Her hair was thick also.

Now I will get it cut shorter.

Thanks,

HB

Barefoot
02-18-2008, 02:44 AM
HB, re Locks of Love, .... you get all our admiration for your wonderful intentions and patience. :bigthumbsup: Sorry it didn't work out.

Barefoot
02-21-2008, 01:44 AM
I've been experimenting with activities .. the "non athletic" kind for people like me who aren't coordinated and hate to exercise. Also I hate being cold and wet. That lets out golf, pickleball, tennis, swimming and aerobics.

So far I love yoga, qigong, synergetics. Go to the Dog Park daily. Didn't care for tai chi, too many poses to remember. Stretch and tone was good, but body shaping was a bit too aggressive. We are trying Parapsychology tomorrow at Mulberry. I hear there is a drumming circle somewhere, not sure where.

Does anyone have any suggestions for activities for unathletic women?

Hyacinth Bucket
02-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi,

Barefoot thank you for the list of suggestions.

Barb do you need your own equipment to play bocci?

For me Tai Chi, Line Dancing and anything where you need to learn a set of steps in a specific order is very challenging. Part of the reason for this is I am right and left challenged. Can not recall if I am supposed to be using my other left or right.

Is anyone else challenged this way? I can follow if someone says my way or your way easier.

HB

Barefoot
02-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Dan was a single guy living at home with his father and working in the family business. When he found out he was going to inherit a fortune when his sickly father died, he decided he needed a wife with which to share his fortune.

One evening - at an investment meeting - he spotted the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Her natural beauty took his breath away. "I may look like just an ordinary man," he said to her, "but in just a few years, my father will die, and I'll inherit 20 million dollars." Impressed, the woman obtained his business card.

Three days later, she became his stepmother.

Women are so much better at planning than men. :bigthumbsup:

Boomer
02-23-2008, 02:32 AM
Girls,

Today has been the most time I have ever spent on line. Other than cooking supper, I have been pretty much inert except for my typing fingers.

So here's what I just decided to do. I found my exercise ball that has been greatly neglected. Mr. Boomer blew it up with a tire pump. Now, I am sitting here on it, still typing away but taking a stab at doing some kind of vague core exercises at the same time. I call the exercises vague because I do not really know what I am supposed to be doing. But then my core itself is rather vague so perhaps it will all work out for the best.

Have you ever used an exercise ball for a desk chair? If so, how did it work out?

Boomer

btw - I did have a little problem at first and sent this message after only one sentence and had to retrieve it. The mouse got away from me as I was twisting all about.

Barefoot
02-23-2008, 02:51 AM
BBB

The thought of you on an exercise ball, priceless. :a20:

nONIE
02-23-2008, 03:10 AM
BBB,

The thought of you on an exercise ball typing, Even more priceless!
Too bad Ted Mac's amatuer hour is off the air!! LOL

Boomer
02-23-2008, 02:27 PM
BBB

The thought of you on an exercise ball, priceless. :a20:

BBB,

The thought of you on an exercise ball typing, Even more priceless!
Too bad Ted Mac's amatuer hour is off the air!! LOL

Hey, here I am back this morning. I kicked the chair out of the way and once again, I am using the exercise ball in its place. I tried to post something earlier and it got away from me again because trying to use the mouse while I move around on this thing requires more coordination than I have naturally. But I am working on it. I also think I may be getting a little dizzy.

I spent so much time on this computer yesterday that I have made a new rule for myself: I can't be on line unless I am using an exercise ball for a chair.

So we shall see what happens. Maybe I am really onto something. :) But today I really am going to try to move forward with my real life.

I so wish I were in TV instead of looking out the window at this gray weather.

redwitch
02-23-2008, 02:43 PM
BBB, if you look out the window in TV today, all you'll see is gray weather. And if it's not gray, it's pouring rain and, worse yet, every so often you see these great streaks of yellow in the sky followed by horrendous booms! (Yup, it's raining cats, dogs and Thor's lightning bolts.) It has TOTALLY mucked up my plans.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-23-2008, 03:17 PM
BBB what Red says is true. It is gray, wet and lightening.

Did not stop hubby from going yard sailing. I stayed in bed reading, could not believe it when he said there were many sailors out there with him.

I guess people in TV do not let anything stop them

HB

Barefoot
02-23-2008, 04:08 PM
I spent so much time on this computer yesterday that I have made a new rule for myself: I can't be on line unless I am using an exercise ball for a chair. So we shall see what happens. Maybe I am really onto something.

Hey BBB, maybe you are on to something ... please keep us updated! Hope the dizziness doesn't force you to write diatribes about religion and politics! 024 If this works out for you, I'm poised to run out and get myself an exercise ball. Monkey see, monkey do!

In a few days there'll probably be a lot of loud crashes in TV as members of the Chat Pack fall off their exercise balls while typing. See what you've started? :a20:

Boomer
02-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey BBB, maybe you are on to something ... please keep us updated! Hope the dizziness doesn't force you to write diatribes about religion and politics! 024 If this works out for you, I'm poised to run out and get myself an exercise ball. Monkey see, monkey do!

In a few days there'll probably be a lot of loud crashes in TV as members of the Chat Pack fall off their exercise balls while typing. See what you've started? :a20:

Diatribes? Diatribes? -- Donneed no steenkin' diatribes.

Not to worry. There will be no diatribes from me. Dizzy or not. "The Boomer Chronicles" on a slow day? - Yes. Diatribes? - Never. (-although, come to think of it. I did do that one on healthcare one time. Uh oh.)

Anyway, about this exercise ball - I actually learned about this thing, the first time, from a physical therapist. They use them for all kinds of different reasons. I think they use them for certain back problems, but be careful if you have any kind of problem, back or otherwise, that could be made worse by this kind of exercise maybe.

(OK. Here's where I am inserting the medical disclaimer so I am typing really, really fast - the way they talk on those "ask your doctor" parts of those commercials on television.)

All right. Now the disclaimer is in here. So...

My exercise ball is blown up to the level of a chair seat. Make sure your feet are solidly planted on the floor. The moves are like the ones from your childhood hula hoop days. - or maybe like the ones in Noni's belly dancing class. If you sit at the infernal computer long enough, you might be able to master a figure 8. - still working on that one. Be careful. I don't even know if you are supposed to even try a figure 8.

Anyway, I have no business giving any kind of instruction on this. Maybe somebody out there has had a class or something and can help.

All I can say is exercise balls are cheap and you can't try to do this without laughing. At least I can't. Hey, maybe we can start a club and call it The Onto Something Club and we will be nice to anybody who wants to join. - not like those clubs in that other recent thread.

Mintjulep
02-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Boomer,
You should be a comedy writer...
The visual of this exercise ball thing is killin me!!!! :a20:

I should loan you mine, it's nubby, so maybe it would stabilize you a little better, so you could hang on to that mouse...

another Linda
02-23-2008, 07:41 PM
I work with a young man who swears by his exercise-ball-as-desk-chair. BBB, I gotta hand it to you. It isn't easy. When I tried I fell off and bruised my ugh .. dignity.

nONIE
02-23-2008, 08:50 PM
The exercise ball is tougher then it looks! Tried one today for the first time at a stretch and tone class. Sitting on it is one thing, its actually very comfy, laying on it facing the ceiling while stretching arms above head and walking backward with feet planted on ground is quite another.

So...... BBB, I have to give you credit where its due, typing while sitting on it definitely takes some talent,sounds like you are mastering the art, WONDERFUL!!! And yes, I am still dizzy from the exercises and they were 5 hours ago!! ::)

another Linda
02-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Hope you aren't too dizzy to ride bikes. I'm a-comin down to TV and want my bike ridin pal! No spandex permitted.

nONIE
02-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Another Linda,

Im waiting for ya Linda! We have Redwitch to lead us thru the villages, she is an expert at directions and knows where shes going. Also Village Kid is interested in our slow and easy bike ride. Dizzy is a state Im in 99% of the time, so Im ready when you are, dizzy or not!!! Hurry down! ;D

designdiva46
02-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Have been offline for awhile. LOVE LOVE this site. Is it still going? Noticed no recent posts. Would love to discuss life without sex. How do you cope???

Barefoot
02-25-2008, 02:35 AM
I definitely want to try an exercise ball for a desk chair. Anyone know where I can buy one in TV? Great idea BBB. :bigthumbsup:

What's everyone been doing????

I got my wig at Markets of Marion.

I got my hair done by Kevin at Salon T .. they have outrageously comfortable chairs for the hair wash part.

Ate at Carrabas Sat night ... very enjoyable evening.

Sale at Bealls on shoes this week .. discount for seniors every Monday I hear.

Designdiva: I think life without sex may have something to do with battery operated devices. Just a guess.

Bought a large queen palm for our front lawn. Forget about getting approval from TV. Hope we didn't need it, or I'll be going to palm tree jail.

What's everyone else been up to?? ;D

Mintjulep
02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
BF,
If you go to palm tree jail, call me and I'll bail ya out.
I almost bought one the other day, but feared the jail as I didn't have the approval yet.
Where did you get yours?

Ate at Katie Belles Sat. nite,,, great fun.

And tiled my porch floor (by myself!) last week. Turned out great. But my knees and butt are still sore.

Haven't yet been to the Marion Flea market, but am dying to go.

redwitch
02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
MJ -- Finally made the MoM on Saturday with Kathie, et al. Great fun. The produce is nothing to write home about (okay, I'm spoiled by the Farmers' Markets in California) but it definitely has a little everything from pure schlock to Red Hat gear to anything you can possibly think of. Have to go again soon and bring my knives to be sharpened!

I saw some palm trees being sold on the side of the road on 441 very near Walmart (can't remember the exact location). A truck was loading up with a bunch of seriously tall ones. I noticed that the smaller ones 4-6 feet were selling for $45.00.

BF, here's hoping it really is okay to plant a tree in your front yard.

Boomer
02-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Good morning, Girls,

I am sitting on my exercise ball even as we speak, -er type - whatever.

Barefoot, I am so happy to hear that you are on a quest for an exercise ball. Let us all know how it goes.

Another Linda, Maybe you can chat up the young man in your office who swears by the exercise ball as a desk chair and see if he will give us pointers. He could become our great guru via cyberspace and the next thing you know he will write a book and appear on "The View" or some such show. We could make him a star.

I need to pass on a warning about these things though, other than that the mouse gets away from you and causes you to send unedited, incoherent messages long before their time. ---

Be sure to corral the :edit: thing at night, in case you need to get up and you are walking around in the dark. These things might be short and round but they are agile and stealthy and will plot against you and roll into your path when you least expect it. - or maybe mine is just harboring hostility because I abandoned it in the basement and forgot all about it for a long, long time.

So be careful and have fun. We really may just be onto/on to something.

Mintjulep
02-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanx Red, will check it out today... :bigthumbsup:

redwitch
02-25-2008, 02:46 PM
MJ -- Hope you haven't left. It's only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sorry!

Mintjulep
02-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Red,
I knew that about the MoM.

But today will check out the palm tree info... 040

Thanx again...

redwitch
02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
They probably only sell on that corner on weekends, too. Kinda like the flower and other junk vendors. But the palms did look pretty.

handieman
02-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Gonna change my nic to the "energizer bunny" (see earlier posts)
Handie :joke:

Hyacinth Bucket
02-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Red,

Went to the Market also on Sunday - got there about 1:30. Noticed that there are two areas that sell produce. One has opened sides and the other is part of the enclosed market.

I went to the one that is part of the enclosed market (did not see the other one until we were leaving), red peppers were 5 for a dollar as well as cucumbers. Romaine lettuce, good size, were 2 for a dollar, garlic, felt lazy and bought the peeled, that was $1.50 for a bag about 2 inches by 6 inches. And other produce items.

I did notice you had to walk up and down both aisles, as the vendors sold the same items for different prices.

Red, which market did you go to?

Hyacinth Bucket

redwitch
02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Checked them both out. Just wasn't impressed. I don't want to buy my produce by the basket (except berries). I'm used to picking out what I want from a large selection. Was also hoping for more variety, more Asian items (lemon grass, bok choy, etc.). As I said, I'm spoiled and will either have to get used to things the way they are here or stick with the grocery stores.

I did read today that Bushnell is starting a "growers market," which sounds more like what I'm looking for. They said it is still small but will grow over time. February 6 only had 3 vendors but it sounds like more are coming every week. I will definitely have to check it out once I find out where (1) Bushnell is and (2) exactly where and when the market is happening. Sadly, they are limiting it to strictly items grown locally. To me, a good market has things like cheese, bread, jams and jellies. These are not allowed at this market, at least not yet.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi Red,

Forgot to mention some time ago, that I noticed you added not Antarctica on the bottom of your page.

We are going to see if we can find two Asian markets we saw about 8 weeks ago. Did not go into them, but want to go back. The prices for some items I wanted in Publix were very high compared to what I was paying for them in upstate NY.

I was able to sort through everything I bought. The only items I noticed in baskets were the tomatoes and even those they said you could pick out the fruits you wanted.

What I miss most is the Community Supported Agriculture farm we belonged to. I will have to see if they have one fairly close to the Villages.

Hyacinth Bucket