Do you have Asperger Syndrome (AS) or know someone who does?

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Posted comment: Back when we were kids, we all knew someone labeled as silly, nerdy or very awkward. Today they may very well be diagnosed as A.S..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoa Nellie. I'm hearing way too many negatives here about Aspies. I have a friend with Asperger's. She is smart, honest, dependable, and always tells the truth.
My post was not negative at all. I have a wonderful granddaughter with Aspergers and she also is smart, honest etc. Just different in personality than some.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Posted comment: Back when we were kids, we all knew someone labeled as silly, nerdy or very awkward. Today they may very well be diagnosed as A.S..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoa Nellie. I'm hearing way too many negatives here about Aspies. I have a friend with Asperger's. She is smart, honest, dependable, and always tells the truth.
My mom had the flu when I was born so I went through a period of awkwardness, shyness, etc. Even believe I was diagonized as Autistic when I was 6 or so in Wisconsin. Never really found myself until an English teacher Mrs. Mitchell at Wooster High School in Reno, Nevada saw something in me worthwhile. She also got a lot of the others teachers at Wooster High on my side. Not at least one of the Administrators though as she pulled me into her office after Mrs. Mitchell honored me and another student with the Michelle Mitchell Memorial Scholarship. She said I was not one of the "right kids" to get a Scholarship.

More teachers like Mrs. Mitchell could probably stop the next James Holmes or Adam Lanza if they take an interest in that strange kid as Mrs. Mitchell did with me in 1975-1976.

Another Wooster High School student who had problems with high school was the Tour de France winner Greg LeMond Greg LeMond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia who was a few years behind me but was in high school about the same time as my younger brother.

GregLeMond.com: The official site of Greg LeMond

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 01-07-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Doesn't sound like an Aspie to me. I'll admit that if you ask me, I'll tell you all about my day, week, month, year. Don't ask me how I'm feeling -- I'll tell you in great detail if I have the chance. Believe it or not, I do it because I'm being polite. If you didn't want to know, you wouldn't ask. The big problem is I don't know how to stop unless you tell me to (and I won't be offended if you say that's enough of that subject). I won't get you trying to change the subject. Subtlety really doesn't work.

At the same time, I won't ask you how you are because I figure if you want to tell me, you will. It's not that I don't care, it's that (1) I just don't think to ask and (2) I don't want to invade your privacy.
I think she is basically the same as what you have described. For example, she never asks me how I am or how I've been doing. I always ask her and she will say, "fine", and then launch into a long run-down of what she has been doing. In other words, being active is part of her description of how she's doing. So I don't see much difference in this regard.

And you say you won't be offended if I say, "that's enough of that subject".
Amazingly, I don't think she has ever been offended if I refuse some activity, like going out somewhere. Once I was agonizing over whether I should go or not because I didn't want to disappoint her and she said, "if you don't want to go, just say so, it's okay". And I got the feeling she really meant it.

Quote:
Aspies are guilty of thinking the world revolves around them but we just don't take offense when you remind us there are other people in the world.
I've known her for many years and we have never had an argument about anything and only once did I ever detect that she took offense at something.

As someone suggested, we should just take the bad with the good, as difficult as that may be sometimes. And we have had some good times together. Our basic philosophy of life is about the same.

This thread, especially your posts, has been helpful in making me realize that I should be more direct.

Last edited by Villages PL; 01-08-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.