Be aware: Traffic Enforcement

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM
gmcneill gmcneill is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 481
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

A Public Service Announcement is simply one of many enforcement tools that law enforcement agencies use. In thus matter, the intent of the agency is to gain public compliance wi traffic laws, and not to augment their revenues by ticketing every infraction a LEO witnesses. That is evidenced by cquick's husband receiving a warning in lieu of a citation.
  #17  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM
EdV's Avatar
EdV EdV is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Stonecrest
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

A Cop pulls a driver over and says hes giving him a ticket for not stopping at the stop sign.

The driver says But officer, I did stop

The Cop says You slowed down but you didnt stop

The driver says Stop, slow down, whats the difference?

The Cop starts whacking the driver with his night stick and the driver starts yelling Stop, stop, youre killing me.

The Cops says, Do you want me to Stop or just Slow Down
__________________
Formerly EdVinMass
  #18  
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM
TrudyM's Avatar
TrudyM TrudyM is offline
Gold member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Posts: 1,089
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Does FLA require an eye exam for renewal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The driving and lack of obeying basic traffic laws is an epidemic in TV. I don't know whether folks over 60 don't know, are unable to see, unable to hear, too busy to be bothered or just don't care.....the percentage that do so is very, very high.
.......

Secondly there should be mandatory testing after age 69 (pick a number you like better!!!) to include a driving test. A pain in the butt? Of course. Will it make TV roads safer? Absolutely. We all know friends, family and neighbors who should not be behind the wheel.


btk
Requiring an eye exam is a good idea IMHO.
Many of the states I have lived in require an eye exam for renewal of a drivers license if you were over a certain age. Does Florida?? Washington state doesn't anymore but I always thought it was a good idea. New Hampshire requires all people to renew in person so they can take the vision test licenses are for 4 years but at least it catches some of the folks. Hawaii also requires a vision test even for mail in renewals(you can have the form filled out by the eye doctor) and licenses for those over 71 are for 2 years instead of four.
  #19  
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Mickedamouse24's Avatar
Mickedamouse24 Mickedamouse24 is online now
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mallory Square
Posts: 271
Thanks: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Default

Anyone out there know what the white line(s) on the pavement at stop signs or traffic lights are for??? Yep, You're right! No one apparently, because you always see folks either past it or straddling it and out in the line of oncoming traffic!!!
  #20  
Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
janmcn janmcn is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,298
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Requiring an eye exam is a good idea IMHO.
Many of the states I have lived in require an eye exam for renewal of a drivers license if you were over a certain age. Does Florida?? Washington state doesn't anymore but I always thought it was a good idea. New Hampshire requires all people to renew in person so they can take the vision test licenses are for 4 years but at least it catches some of the folks. Hawaii also requires a vision test even for mail in renewals(you can have the form filled out by the eye doctor) and licenses for those over 71 are for 2 years instead of four.
Yes, Florida requires an eye test every time you renew your license. Also, if you show up at the DMV with any kind of impairment, using a walker for example, you can be required to take a driving test to renew your license.
  #21  
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
justjim justjim is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Posts: 4,816
Thanks: 58
Thanked 579 Times in 215 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
the radio warning is like those who flash their lights to let us know there are police ahead....really? Assisting others in the continued infractions of the law.

The driving and lack of obeying basic traffic laws is an epidemic in TV. I don't know whether folks over 60 don't know, are unable to see, unable to hear, too busy to be bothered or just don't care.....the percentage that do so is very, very high.

I am and have been anadvocate of the police having a special group that does nothing but enforce traffic violations in TV. Their pay would come from the more than adeqate revenues. They should be sufficient in number to be very noticeable and obvious. There should be a multiplier of the fine of some number, maybe double, for residents cited. There also should be a muliplier for repeat offenders.

Secondly there should be mandatory testing after age 69 (pick a number you like better!!!) to include a driving test. A pain in the butt? Of course. Will it make TV roads safer? Absolutely. We all know friends, family and neighbors who should not be behind the wheel.

In an area like TV with such a high concentration of us old(er) folk there needs to be more than just token enforcement from time to time.

TV needs to become known as a "speedtrap" location. We all know where they are when we travel. And we all drive the speed limit in those locations don't we? Yes we do.H

Call your county sheriff and tell him you support more intense traffic regulation. I do, regularly.

Book 'em Danno!!!!

btk
We're you a "smokey" in your former life? I would rather the police be out tracking down criminals rather than spending their time catching someone going five miles an hour over the speed limit or someone failing to come to a complete stop when no one is within a half mile of sight. Now, a drunk on the road---that is a different story.
__________________
Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abraham Lincoln
  #22  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
JB in TV JB in TV is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 643
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
:... I would rather the police be out tracking down criminals rather than spending their time catching someone going five miles an hour over the speed limit or someone failing to come to a complete stop when no one is within a half mile of sight. Now, a drunk on the road---that is a different story.
I agree 100%
  #23  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:24 PM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,315
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,786 Times in 789 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We're you a "smokey" in your former life? I would rather the police be out tracking down criminals rather than spending their time catching someone going five miles an hour over the speed limit or someone failing to come to a complete stop when no one is within a half mile of sight. Now, a drunk on the road---that is a different story.
I agree 100% with what they should be doing. My proposal is for an incremental increase in the staffing dedicated to the scenario I presented.
No intention to take away what so ever of the enforcement to pursue the criminal element.

btk
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
  #24  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
BogeyBoy's Avatar
BogeyBoy BogeyBoy is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hemingway
Posts: 1,054
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickedamouse24 View Post
Anyone out there know what the white line(s) on the pavement at stop signs or traffic lights are for??? Yep, You're right! No one apparently, because you always see folks either past it or straddling it and out in the line of oncoming traffic!!!
I guess you and I are seeing the same people. I have mentioned the limit lines in conversations about driving and I get the deer in the headlight look.
__________________
New York, California, Pennsylvania, Florida
  #25  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I must live a sheltered life because I hae yet to see a driver in The Villages run aincreasing the popu stop light or stop sign. I believe there are people who do but i don't believe that the problem is as bad as some are saying on this thread. consider futher that January thru March are the busiest months with both seasonal residents, their vistors and renters population and jence traffic, traffic infractions, etc.

As to stopping. Be aware that the wide white lines in the parking lots designate a stop and I know a guy who filed to stop at that line in a rec center parking lot and got a ticket. You can argue about whethr the cop could legally do so but the ticket was issued and paid.
  #26  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,994
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1,200 Times in 397 Posts
Default

I'm sorry, but sometimes this coming to a complete stop at a stop sign is a bit over done. You're driving on a road with a 30 mph speed limit. You approach an intersection and are going about 2mph and you can see that there are no cars for a mile in any direction. In fact you see no cars whatsoever. You really need to come to a complete stop? Ridiculous.
In fact many states have changed their laws to allowing "rolling stops". That is in no way driving unsafely.
Why don't we start talking about something important that actually does affect the safety of others. How about mandatory testing for drivers over 65? How many elderly drivers are out there that can't see or have poor reaction time?
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
  #27  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,994
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1,200 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
the radio warning is like those who flash their lights to let us know there are police ahead....really? Assisting others in the continued infractions of the law.
Really? You flash your lights at someone who is speeding them and it causes them to slow down to below the speed limit and that's assisting them in breaking the law? I think that it's causing them to obey the law.
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
  #28  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM
bimmertl bimmertl is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 702
Thanks: 50
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Yes, Florida requires an eye test every time you renew your license. Also, if you show up at the DMV with any kind of impairment, using a walker for example, you can be required to take a driving test to renew your license.
Eye tests are not required upon renewal unless you are 80 years old and above.In fact, you can renew your florida DL on line as I did on my last renewal.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
  #29  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,797
Thanks: 3,616
Thanked 3,562 Times in 1,239 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm sorry, but sometimes this coming to a complete stop at a stop sign is a bit over done. You're driving on a road with a 30 mph speed limit. You approach an intersection and are going about 2mph and you can see that there are no cars for a mile in any direction. In fact you see no cars whatsoever. You really need to come to a complete stop? Ridiculous.
In fact many states have changed their laws to allowing "rolling stops". That is in no way driving unsafely.
Why don't we start talking about something important that actually does affect the safety of others. How about mandatory testing for drivers over 65? How many elderly drivers are out there that can't see or have poor reaction time?
I couldn't find any state where a rolling stop at stop signs was legal. In Idaho you can come to a rolling stop at a stop sign if you are riding a bike.

I did find this interesting chart.

The 10 U.S. cities with the worst drivers tilt towards the coasts | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #30  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Shimpy's Avatar
Shimpy Shimpy is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,691
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm sorry, but sometimes this coming to a complete stop at a stop sign is a bit over done. You're driving on a road with a 30 mph speed limit. You approach an intersection and are going about 2mph and you can see that there are no cars for a mile in any direction. In fact you see no cars whatsoever. You really need to come to a complete stop? Ridiculous.
?
I agree. It's like driving in a desert and come to a crossroad with a stop sign and no other cars within 50 miles. There will always be those that will obey even the most ridiculous and obscure laws but the majority will use common sense.
__________________
Les
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.