Be aware: Traffic Enforcement

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM

A Public Service Announcement is simply one of many enforcement tools that law enforcement agencies use. In thus matter, the intent of the agency is to gain public compliance wi traffic laws, and not to augment their revenues by ticketing every infraction a LEO witnesses. That is evidenced by cquick's husband receiving a warning in lieu of a citation.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Gold member

A Cop pulls a driver over and says he’s giving him a ticket for not stopping at the stop sign.

The driver says “But officer, I did stop”

The Cop says “You slowed down but you didn’t stop”

The driver says “Stop, slow down, what’s the difference?”

The Cop starts whacking the driver with his night stick and the driver starts yelling “Stop, stop, you’re killing me”.

The Cops says, “Do you want me to Stop or just Slow Down”
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Does FLA require an eye exam for renewal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The driving and lack of obeying basic traffic laws is an epidemic in TV. I don't know whether folks over 60 don't know, are unable to see, unable to hear, too busy to be bothered or just don't care.....the percentage that do so is very, very high.

Secondly there should be mandatory testing after age 69 (pick a number you like better!!!) to include a driving test. A pain in the butt? Of course. Will it make TV roads safer? Absolutely. We all know friends, family and neighbors who should not be behind the wheel.

btk
Requiring an eye exam is a good idea IMHO.
Many of the states I have lived in require an eye exam for renewal of a drivers license if you were over a certain age. Does Florida?? Washington state doesn't anymore but I always thought it was a good idea. New Hampshire requires all people to renew in person so they can take the vision test licenses are for 4 years but at least it catches some of the folks. Hawaii also requires a vision test even for mail in renewals(you can have the form filled out by the eye doctor) and licenses for those over 71 are for 2 years instead of four.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24

Anyone out there know what the white line(s) on the pavement at stop signs or traffic lights are for??? Yep, You're right! No one apparently, because you always see folks either past it or straddling it and out in the line of oncoming traffic!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Requiring an eye exam is a good idea IMHO.
Many of the states I have lived in require an eye exam for renewal of a drivers license if you were over a certain age. Does Florida?? Washington state doesn't anymore but I always thought it was a good idea. New Hampshire requires all people to renew in person so they can take the vision test licenses are for 4 years but at least it catches some of the folks. Hawaii also requires a vision test even for mail in renewals(you can have the form filled out by the eye doctor) and licenses for those over 71 are for 2 years instead of four.
Yes, Florida requires an eye test every time you renew your license. Also, if you show up at the DMV with any kind of impairment, using a walker for example, you can be required to take a driving test to renew your license.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
the radio warning is like those who flash their lights to let us know there are police ahead....really? Assisting others in the continued infractions of the law.

The driving and lack of obeying basic traffic laws is an epidemic in TV. I don't know whether folks over 60 don't know, are unable to see, unable to hear, too busy to be bothered or just don't care.....the percentage that do so is very, very high.

I am and have been anadvocate of the police having a special group that does nothing but enforce traffic violations in TV. Their pay would come from the more than adeqate revenues. They should be sufficient in number to be very noticeable and obvious. There should be a multiplier of the fine of some number, maybe double, for residents cited. There also should be a muliplier for repeat offenders.

Secondly there should be mandatory testing after age 69 (pick a number you like better!!!) to include a driving test. A pain in the butt? Of course. Will it make TV roads safer? Absolutely. We all know friends, family and neighbors who should not be behind the wheel.

In an area like TV with such a high concentration of us old(er) folk there needs to be more than just token enforcement from time to time.

TV needs to become known as a "speedtrap" location. We all know where they are when we travel. And we all drive the speed limit in those locations don't we? Yes we do.H

Call your county sheriff and tell him you support more intense traffic regulation. I do, regularly.

Book 'em Danno!!!!

btk
We're you a "smokey" in your former life? I would rather the police be out tracking down criminals rather than spending their time catching someone going five miles an hour over the speed limit or someone failing to come to a complete stop when no one is within a half mile of sight. Now, a drunk on the road---that is a different story.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
:... I would rather the police be out tracking down criminals rather than spending their time catching someone going five miles an hour over the speed limit or someone failing to come to a complete stop when no one is within a half mile of sight. Now, a drunk on the road---that is a different story.
I agree 100%
Old 03-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We're you a "smokey" in your former life? I would rather the police be out tracking down criminals rather than spending their time catching someone going five miles an hour over the speed limit or someone failing to come to a complete stop when no one is within a half mile of sight. Now, a drunk on the road---that is a different story.
I agree 100% with what they should be doing. My proposal is for an incremental increase in the staffing dedicated to the scenario I presented.
No intention to take away what so ever of the enforcement to pursue the criminal element.

btk
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickedamouse24 View Post
Anyone out there know what the white line(s) on the pavement at stop signs or traffic lights are for??? Yep, You're right! No one apparently, because you always see folks either past it or straddling it and out in the line of oncoming traffic!!!
I guess you and I are seeing the same people. I have mentioned the limit lines in conversations about driving and I get the deer in the headlight look.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I must live a sheltered life because I hae yet to see a driver in The Villages run aincreasing the popu stop light or stop sign. I believe there are people who do but i don't believe that the problem is as bad as some are saying on this thread. consider futher that January thru March are the busiest months with both seasonal residents, their vistors and renters population and jence traffic, traffic infractions, etc.

As to stopping. Be aware that the wide white lines in the parking lots designate a stop and I know a guy who filed to stop at that line in a rec center parking lot and got a ticket. You can argue about whethr the cop could legally do so but the ticket was issued and paid.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm sorry, but sometimes this coming to a complete stop at a stop sign is a bit over done. You're driving on a road with a 30 mph speed limit. You approach an intersection and are going about 2mph and you can see that there are no cars for a mile in any direction. In fact you see no cars whatsoever. You really need to come to a complete stop? Ridiculous.
In fact many states have changed their laws to allowing "rolling stops". That is in no way driving unsafely.
Why don't we start talking about something important that actually does affect the safety of others. How about mandatory testing for drivers over 65? How many elderly drivers are out there that can't see or have poor reaction time?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
the radio warning is like those who flash their lights to let us know there are police ahead....really? Assisting others in the continued infractions of the law.
Really? You flash your lights at someone who is speeding them and it causes them to slow down to below the speed limit and that's assisting them in breaking the law? I think that it's causing them to obey the law.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Yes, Florida requires an eye test every time you renew your license. Also, if you show up at the DMV with any kind of impairment, using a walker for example, you can be required to take a driving test to renew your license.
Eye tests are not required upon renewal unless you are 80 years old and above.In fact, you can renew your florida DL on line as I did on my last renewal.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Old 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm sorry, but sometimes this coming to a complete stop at a stop sign is a bit over done. You're driving on a road with a 30 mph speed limit. You approach an intersection and are going about 2mph and you can see that there are no cars for a mile in any direction. In fact you see no cars whatsoever. You really need to come to a complete stop? Ridiculous.
In fact many states have changed their laws to allowing "rolling stops". That is in no way driving unsafely.
Why don't we start talking about something important that actually does affect the safety of others. How about mandatory testing for drivers over 65? How many elderly drivers are out there that can't see or have poor reaction time?
I couldn't find any state where a rolling stop at stop signs was legal. In Idaho you can come to a rolling stop at a stop sign if you are riding a bike.

I did find this interesting chart.

The 10 U.S. cities with the worst drivers tilt towards the coasts | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos
Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
?
I agree. It's like driving in a desert and come to a crossroad with a stop sign and no other cars within 50 miles. There will always be those that will obey even the most ridiculous and obscure laws but the majority will use common sense.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.