Coming down next week to look at houses

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2020, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,766 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyBoy56 View Post
Our real estate agent emailed us a list of houses to look at...some in the villages of DeSoto, McClure, Monarch Grove (villages near the turnpike).

Can you hear the turnpike noise from all those areas?
Since you will be here, you can judge for yourself. Most houses in those areas are now occupied, so that should tell you something.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Since you want a new home, are you interested in driving your golf cart to a championship golf course? Are you interested in driving your golf cart to the established areas of TV, Brownwood, Colony Shopping area, etc? Then I would look at the very new village of Chitty Chatty.

Chitty Chatty is immediately across the new bridge from Lake Deaton Plaza immediately south of SR44. Rohan Regional Rec is also located just across the bridge. The bridge is in place and will probably open to golf cart traffic this year. Here's a link to that area.

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale
Old 06-05-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,430 Times in 1,472 Posts

Every village has it's good and it's bad points. If you want peaceful natural surroundings and lots of amenities, even some that are not available in other areas go south of 44 if you want shopping and championship golf go north of 44. As far as noise, parts of every village have noise you just have to be selective, if you find a home you like come back in the evening and walk around the neighborhood listening for sounds of traffic, etc. We live in Fenney which is very quiet, there are always a couple dozen re-sales here which is equal to 2% of the homes built in Fenney, that is an average number of homes to be on the market. We also own a rental unit in Monarch Grove, we chose a villa on the west side of The Grove which is not near the turnpike and it's quiet over there. A lot of people don't mind traffic noise and if it doesn't bother you there are great deals on new homes that are close to the turnpike. Keep in mind that the further east they build will put you in Leesburg and Lake County which might be good or bad, don't know the particulars yet regarding taxes (different school system) and utility fees. Wherever you choose you will be happy living in The Villages.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
Look at the bright side, might get wet but not stuck in snow.
Moved to South Florida in 2008, no snow for me unless I chose to see it. I believe I'm bringing the rain with me as I travel north.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Then I would look at the very new village of Chitty Chatty.
I think the very biggest problem with C-C is when you leave and try to turn left on route 468.

We drive to the Southern several times a week and we see cars and trucks having a hard time turning left out of C-C.

Another issue is that dogs are not allowed at the postal stations in C-C and Bradford. If anyone doesn't believe me, then look at the signs.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 AM
John41

you used to hear the train horn blow in some areas of Chatam. not sure if still happens. best area to buy new is Chitty Chatty in my opinion.. really like bungalow and verandah villas
Old 06-05-2020, 10:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would rent before picking a community and home.
One of my neighbors was concerned with a golf course lot next to a tee. She went to the lot several times during the day for an hour or two to observe what she would encounter from her patio. She decided to get a home a block away from the course.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I would rent before picking a community and home.
One of my neighbors was concerned with a golf course lot next to a tee. She went to the lot several times during the day for an hour or two to observe what she would encounter from her patio. She decided to get a home a block away from the course.
We lived on a golf course for 13 years and never again do I want to put up with that.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I think the very biggest problem with C-C is when you leave and try to turn left on route 468.

We drive to the Southern several times a week and we see cars and trucks having a hard time turning left out of C-C.

Another issue is that dogs are not allowed at the postal stations in C-C and Bradford. If anyone doesn't believe me, then look at the signs.
We have similar situations in the established Villages. Buttonwood has 1200 homes and only one exit onto St. Charles. If go down St. Charles and don't see cars waiting there, that's unusual. Also Pennecamp and Tamarind Grove exit out also onto St. Charles, and have problems at times.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
We have similar situations in the established Villages. Buttonwood has 1200 homes and only one exit onto St. Charles. If go down St. Charles and don't see cars waiting there, that's unusual. Also Pennecamp and Tamarind Grove exit out also onto St. Charles, and have problems at times.
To leave Fenney turning left onto Warm Springs (468) requires going across 4 lanes of traffic with lots of dump truck traffic until they are done hauling dirt in the area.

Last edited by vintageogauge; 06-05-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
To leave Fenney turning left onto 301 requires going across 4 lanes of traffic with lots of dump truck traffic until they are done hauling dirt in the area.
Don’t you mean you exit left out of Fenney onto Warm Springs road (468)?
Old 06-05-2020, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,282 Times in 5,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We lived on a golf course for 13 years and never again do I want to put up with that.
One advantage is lots of free golf balls come to visit.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:04 PM

Jersey huh? How ya doin? I'm from Manasquan and my wife hails from North Brunswick. We love our place in Fenney.. There are lots of old timers that don't understand that we "youngsters" are seeking different amenities than they have in the north. That said, there is no better place to be than the villages..any village is a good village!
Old 06-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,334 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Not sure what you mean by "The Villages", but you should be talking to the people who are responsible for that work if you have a complaint.
Good advice. They have only had 32 posts and recently joined here so there is some ignorance on their part how this place is organized and works. Hate to see newbies always pointing to the Developer as the company responsible for everything. I would suggest they also sign up for the Resident Academy so they can understand and be able to go to the right organization when they have issues and requests.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-05-2020, 12:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
you used to hear the train horn blow in some areas of Chatam. not sure if still happens. best area to buy new is Chitty Chatty in my opinion.. really like bungalow and verandah villas
Our previous home was in Calumet Grove. We would sometimes hear the train off in the distance at night when everything was quiet (no tv on). I actually enjoyed the sound. My brother and sister also enjoy the sound of a train as long as it isn't too close/too loud. It must remind us of growing up in NW Indiana. My husband, on the other hand, complained about it. I don't think the sound actually bothered him. I think it was more a philosophical thing ("I paid a lot of money for this house. I shouldn't have to listen to a train!")

We moved within a year, not because of the train but because I wanted to be closer to stores, restaurants, and my sister. I totally agree with people who say come down and rent for a while. We made a few overnight trips but that is not enough to make an informed decision. We would have saved a bundle if we had rented for a month or two first.

Good luck.

kathy
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, houses, villages, mcclure, monarch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.