I Do Not Want a Cell Phone

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2021, 08:26 PM

Personal organization, endless entertainment, immediate communication with family, friends and emergency services, and all the knowledge of the world, all anytime and anywhere.

Other than that, cell phones are pretty useless.

Last edited by Davonu; 11-20-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post

Other than that, cell phones are pretty useless.
Their not useless if used correctly with proper etiquette in public.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
$1200 -$1400 for the latest and greatest cell phone, plus the price of a monthly calling plan is a joke.
You're putting us on, right?

Right now, you can buy a Moto G Play phone for $49 and sign up for Google Fi which will cost about $25 a month, if it is, as you say, "used correctly." The service works in over 200 countries.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default So true!

Quote:
Very few pay phones today, but for emergences, try finding someone WITHOUT
a cell phone.
Not just pay phones, but phone booths, too!
Today I heard a cry for help and couldn't find a booth to change into my flying suit. Changed in a meeting room at the hotel. That meeting of the Church Ladies Auxiliary will be remembered for a long time to come.

☺️. Lighten up folks. Just a little joke.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
I'm glad you ask.......

Expense is one.
$1200 -$1400 for the latest and greatest cell phone, plus the price of a monthly calling plan is a joke.

I also see them as a adult pacifier that they stare into while your talking to them and go berserk when they lose them or leave the house without their stupid phone.

Don't get me wrong, if used correctly they are great, like keeping in touch with family
up north, checking in at the airport or hotel, checking prices etc.

Sorry, just my opinion
Time for you to do a WHOLE LOT of research because you can get cell used phones for $50 or new phones for the same that JUST MAKES CALLS and service plans for $5-10 month for voice only or less for metered call plans. You don't need a "smart"phone but a cell phone today is ALMOST a must have. Sounds like just a trollish post.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I do have a dnr. But that is an interesting point. If I go down dancing in the town square how do I protect my self from someone trying to bring me back when that is not my wish ? Back on the cell phone necessity - I also (well actually my lovely bride and I) had two children before cell phones and somehow I got the message to get her to the hospital and be the coach. And I still live in an area 6 months per year without cell service. I actually like it.
We just had that conversation at 2am, last month. Is a tattoo of DNR with a signature, on a chest binding? Do you listen to the screaming spouse to save them, or reread the tattoo? Either way the DNR won’t give a crap, the spouse lives with the decision, forever.

However a baby, not a big deal, without a cell phone. Expecting your spouse to do CPR without a cell is just cruel. Watching your spouse die while you have no way to get help is easy for some, (like dancing on their grave).
But Not so much for others.

Last edited by asianthree; 11-21-2021 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Is there anyone out there in Village land and beyond that refuses to own/carry a cell phone besides this old goat?

Your Thoughts Please
With all due respect I nominate you ,Michael G ,for the caveman of the week award.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:28 AM

Had a cell since 1999, gave up our land line 4 years ago. With the introduction of the "smartphone" the trick (IMHO) is learning how to train the phone rather than the opposite. To each thier own 👍
Old 11-21-2021, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We just had that conversation at 2am, last month. Is a tattoo of DNR with a signature, on a chest binding? Do you listen to the screaming spouse to save them, or reread the tattoo? Either way the DNR won’t give a crap, the spouse lives with the decision, forever.

However a baby, not a big deal, without a cell phone. Expecting your spouse to do CPR without a cell is just cruel. Watching your spouse die while you have no way to get help is easy for some, (like dancing on their grave).
But Not so much for others.
She already took the course. Trying to learn on line after the person is down is probably not a good idea. You are suppose to use two hands for compression. Oh wait you will tell me to use the voice activation mode.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:11 AM

In todays world you need a cell phone for a variety of reasons, which people on this post have mentioned.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage

You could get a cheap one (think flip phone...do they still make them?) just to have for emergencies. When cells became a thing, I was given one "for emergencies" as I had a business where I drove country roads (in the upper midwest), many times at night. I never got in the habit of relying on it for anything else. I don't give the number out as we also have a land-line here. People get the house number, if they warrant it. THEN all calls are screened via "caller I.D." People can start speaking (ie. leaving a message) if it's important---maybe then we'll pick up. Cell phones don't have to make you their slave!!!! Their invention has been a blessing and a curse....the latter meaning the rudeness folks display because of them has ramped up. You do NOT have to answer every-single-call as it comes in!!! You can wait to check your acc't, Facebook, Insta or whatever else you deem a necessity!
Old 11-21-2021, 07:29 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Is there anyone out there in Village land and beyond that refuses to own/carry a cell phone besides this old goat?

Your Thoughts Please
I use my phone as a phone. I would not leave the house without it. In today’s world it’s the only way I would feel safe. With no Phone booths or emergency Hwy phones it something happened you’re a sitting duck. My other reason is my kids and grandkids , they like me having a line open to them.

I do enjoy the texts I get from my grandson

FYI just because you have a phone it doesn’t have to sit on your ear all day and you don’t have to looking down at all day.

My dad is 92 and he doesn’t leave home without and I am very grateful for that
Old 11-21-2021, 07:35 AM

Yes there are.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
So you don't want to buy/carry a cell phone but you figure if YOU have an emergency someone else will let you use theirs? Why would I hand my $1400 cell phone to some stranger who doesn't know how to use it, might steal or drop/break it, or leave covid cooties all over it?

kathy

Old 11-21-2021, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
You could get a cheap one (think flip phone...do they still make them?) just to have for emergencies. When cells became a thing, I was given one "for emergencies" as I had a business where I drove country roads (in the upper midwest), many times at night. I never got in the habit of relying on it for anything else. I don't give the number out as we also have a land-line here. People get the house number, if they warrant it. THEN all calls are screened via "caller I.D." People can start speaking (ie. leaving a message) if it's important---maybe then we'll pick up. Cell phones don't have to make you their slave!!!! Their invention has been a blessing and a curse....the latter meaning the rudeness folks display because of them has ramped up. You do NOT have to answer every-single-call as it comes in!!! You can wait to check your acc't, Facebook, Insta or whatever else you deem a necessity!
i still use one of those flip-fone dinosaurs. i like the idea of having the phone nearby, but only use it for calls & texts.
Closed Thread

Tags
cell, phone, thoughts, goat, own/carry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.