What is most improtant to you - home value or lifestyle

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

I don't see a problem with crowds. We eat out only once per week and never have to wait. Living south of 44, the only traffic problem I've encountered is an occasional back up on 301 due to accidents on the turnpike or I-75 with traffic being re-routed onto 301. As far as home values, we got in early down here and the homes purchased back then have appreciated quite a bit which is nice but that is not why we bought when we did, it was our time and we were fortunate.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:04 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Ditto

[QUOTE=Chatbrat;1723634]Home value was and is never important to us, we never looked at home value as an investment--once you back out maintenance, taxes and other items its a break even--life style is way more important-since we were self employed--investment income gives us the means to live and do whatever we want to, without the worry of running out of $$, never had a mortgage and refuse to pay any interest, its the way I was brought up--if can pay for it, you don't need it[/QUOTE

I was self employed my whole life also. Mary and I have always paid cash for everything and invested the money we would have paid in interest. During the Snowbird season We buy season tickets to the many theaters in the surrounding towns. Take day trips and cruises. During the off season. We stay in St Augustine, St Pete's Beach or Dunedin. Hotel rates are 30% cheaper their rates change at various times. This puts us closer to all the venues in these areas. The beach is 13 feet from our door in St Pete. Finally, we are Frogs so the home our home value is not that important to us. Let our heirs worry about it. Len & Mary
Old 03-03-2020, 08:14 AM

Lifestyle is more important. I am confused about the growth causing waits, etc. I am not aware of a city or community where growth in businesses and services has not followed population growth.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:53 AM

That’s why we’re moving to S Carolina on Lake Hartwell...
Old 03-03-2020, 08:55 AM
Default Life Quality Over A Dollar

I was reading Ray Kurzweils new book The Singularity is Near, and he was touching on some of these themes. Well, in all honesty, I wasn't reading, I was Audio booking it. He deals with the S-Curve of Technology and expansion. In the end, expansion is inevitable and also, as was the conclusion of the author, life quality will be somewhat diminished. However, I think the real issue is an inconvenience rather than $.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:05 AM

I agree 100%!!! If their going to expand this much then they need to build more golf courses, entertainment centers, town squares and restaurants! It should not be a hassle to partake in any of these. We are retired and do not need to be stressed out! I thought I would live here forever but if we can’t participate in the things we love and the things they promised us then what’s the sense in staying here. Now their raising our taxes to pay for their growth that we don’t need! The golf course prices are going sky high forcing people to play outside of the Villages. We always get a tee time and the cost is half or less. They are loving it, saying we’re glad the Villages are forcing you to play elsewhere, that’s good for us. The Villages used to raise prices 1 or $2.00 a year. AlI this expansion scares me! How much money do they need!!! This generation has sadly gotten very greedy!! The founder Is turning over in his grave because he did not intend for this to happen to his Friendliest Home Town!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacivell View Post
What blunders have you seen at The Sharon? Just curious. Thx!
A few concerts has the sound system so loud the speakers were actually distorting the sound, for example the Charlie Daniels concert, during the last song 'The devil goes down to Georgia' you could not understand the words, Masters of illusion had supplementary speakers on the stage floor, blocking the view of the people in the first 3 or 4 rows of seats.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

For us lifestyle was MUCH more important than home value. We want our house to feel like a home, for sure - but some of our deal-breakers stopped being deal-breakers when it was crunch time. Absolutely no manufactured homes - we want a site-built. No carpeting because who wants to scrub cat litter off the carpets all day (my cat is a slob). Privacy is a must - and since fences aren't allowed, that means a courtyard villa.

So now we live in a manufactured house, with carpeting in the bedrooms only, no fences, no walls, and the neighbors text me to find out if I'm okay since they haven't seen my car move out of the driveway in three days (I golf-cart most places, hah!).

I STILL hate Florida for lots of reasons and wish the Villages wasn't in Florida. But as communities go - the Villages is a perfect place for healthy retirement, or for pre-retirement living.

I'm here for the lifestyle, and because hubby said he'd miss me if I didn't move with him from up north. A basement would've been awesome but - Florida - so we'll just have to live without one.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:20 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver54 View Post
I agree 100%!!! If their going to expand this much then they need to build more golf courses, entertainment centers, town squares and restaurants! It should not be a hassle to partake in any of these. We are retired and do not need to be stressed out! I thought I would live here forever but if we can’t participate in the things we love and the things they promised us then what’s the sense in staying here. Now their raising our taxes to pay for their growth that we don’t need! The golf course prices are going sky high forcing people to play outside of the Villages. We always get a tee time and the cost is half or less. They are loving it, saying we’re glad the Villages are forcing you to play elsewhere, that’s good for us. The Villages used to raise prices 1 or $2.00 a year. AlI this expansion scares me! How much money do they need!!! This generation has sadly gotten very greedy!! The founder Is turning over in his grave because he did not intend for this to happen to his Friendliest Home Town!

Interesting first post.

The prior generations made over $1,000,000,000. That's a billion.

People on the North-end, thought the expansion South of 466a was too much.

Golf use to be below $20.

How did you determine greed, the founder grave action, appropriate golf prices, who promised what to you, when should the expansion start to scare you????

All these questions...........please enlighten.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
There have been several discussions lately regarding the huge and rapid expansion of TV. Discussion of the pros and cons often includes a comment like "the expansion and demand has and will drive up the value of your home".

I'm going to accept those statements as fact for the sake of argument and ask this question. What is more important to you; increased home value or a happy, active, and relaxed lifestyle?

For me the lifestyle far outweighs the increase in home value. Sure, I am happy with any increase but I'm not looking to sell my house so that really only means my property tax will increase and my heirs might get extra money when I die. Before I suffer the inevitable folks slamming my comments - let me say that I realize that is MY situation and doesn't apply to everyone buying here.

I'll flesh my thought out a bit. I don't want to wait an hour at a restaurant. I don't want to have to buy my ticket to the Sharon, Savannah Center, Katie Belles, etc in the first hour after they go on sale. I don't want to scramble to get on a championship golf course. I don't want to go on a year long waiting list for a club....you get the idea.

I'm happy where I am in TV and with my current lifestyle but I'm keeping a wary eye on the future. Maybe I'll be forced to take that increase in my home value and move to a smaller community in the future. I hope not.
For my wife and I, the lifestyle is definitely far more important than home value. We’re lucky with the location home that we got in TV (Pine Ridge) because everything are within 5 miles. We almost always drive our golf cart to go anywhere in TV. As far as waiting in line at restaurants or whatever, coming from NYC, the wait in TV is nothing compared to NYC. Besides... while waiting I’m always with a fun company (my wife, or Mom&Dad, friends) so no big deal waiting. What’s the hurry to enjoy dinner with love ones? As for shopping, we love Amazon online shopping! Even movie and theater tickets can be purchase online. And we’re only a mile away or two from WalMart & Publix Colony Plaza. If the dollar value of our home increased (which it is), that’s only a plus. -myk
Old 03-03-2020, 09:48 AM

I hear you. My thoughts are clearly aligned with yours
Old 03-03-2020, 11:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
There have been several discussions lately regarding the huge and rapid expansion of TV. Discussion of the pros and cons often includes a comment like "the expansion and demand has and will drive up the value of your home".

I'm going to accept those statements as fact for the sake of argument and ask this question. What is more important to you; increased home value or a happy, active, and relaxed lifestyle?

For me the lifestyle far outweighs the increase in home value. Sure, I am happy with any increase but I'm not looking to sell my house so that really only means my property tax will increase and my heirs might get extra money when I die. Before I suffer the inevitable folks slamming my comments - let me say that I realize that is MY situation and doesn't apply to everyone buying here.

I'll flesh my thought out a bit. I don't want to wait an hour at a restaurant. I don't want to have to buy my ticket to the Sharon, Savannah Center, Katie Belles, etc in the first hour after they go on sale. I don't want to scramble to get on a championship golf course. I don't want to go on a year long waiting list for a club....you get the idea.

I'm happy where I am in TV and with my current lifestyle but I'm keeping a wary eye on the future. Maybe I'll be forced to take that increase in my home value and move to a smaller community in the future. I hope not.
Wow, tough question to answer not being in your shoes. If you like TV & plan to stay & never move or live there for the next 15, 20 or 30 yrs. You've got to decide how much you want to put in your house or if you want a premium home that could cost 1 million dollars or more. Do you want to put out a lot of money in taxes, I didn't so that's why I bought a Designer home that was discounted quite a bit. Personally I bought a home that I was comfortable with my Property Taxes & untilties. But the other things you mentioned as far as what you pay in amenities, probably $160, it sounds like you aren't a big fan of these things but want something to do. Golf, as far as Championship courses, to me it's high but these course are hard to get on because they do sell all their tee times pretty much every day. If you're a permanent resident these courses are discounted in the summer months or should I say a little cheaper. They say when I was there, $7. in summer but never got charged $7. it was a more than this. So just my opinion, if you're there to make money on your house spend the money, it'll sell. If you're there to have fun doing all the 2,000 things to do & live there quite a while buy cheap & have fun, you won't lose money on your home. Good luck, & enjoy the heck out of TV!
Old 03-03-2020, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogstr View Post
First post.
Why should we care that you are moving to S. Carolina?
Old 03-03-2020, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I would swap lifestyle and value of home, for quality of life any day.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:55 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogstr View Post
Take your coats with you.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, lifestyle, increase, happy, expansion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.