Fads

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2008, 02:18 AM
Sage
Default Re: Fads

Oh Nonie, another Chicago girl here! Yes, scarves or babushkas tied on our chins and black leather jackets, almost white lipstick??? Remember! Before that "cool" period. Saddle shoes, poodle shirt (third grade) Hi-Fi's. American Bandstand, absolutely! Of course, desperate jealousy of Annette on the Mousekteers. Then a beatnick phase, black tights and gloom all the time. Coffee houses, and they actually read poetry. (I miss those :dontknow: Older- Military shirts and bullet belts (not real) with jeans. Mini skirts, midi-skirts, mico-mini skirts and Yes Hot Pants! Red, I too had the Orange Juice can rollers! lol And Nonie, I'm with you on the angora around the guys ring, and sweaters from the guys in gangs (not lettermen!) Sock Hops, pajama parties. Dances, the Twist, The Mashed Potatoes, The Roach, The Swim, The Fish, The Watusi! God I haven't thought about some of this stuff in years. Also, stylish, hot pants with long thigh boots and a patent leather long coat (The Carnaby Street Look) :bigthumbsup: Of course bellbottoms. Oh and Red, we had to kneel down at our highschool too and if our hems did not touch the ground, we had to go to sewing class and take them down. No makeup allowed, no hairspray. Wow I love reminiscing like this. Flower children, make love not war -- still a good motto. Thanks for the memories and thanks for the fun. :2cool:
Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Sage

I am most famous for being on Ray Rayner's Saturday afternoon TV Dance Party in 8th grade (1958) in Chi town (was partnered, by the teachers, with the Hot blond 7th grader and the envy of all my buddies)
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Sage

Chels, thanks for going down memory lane with me. Its just sooo much fun isnt it?

Im so glad you remembered the babushka's tied up on. our chins, see Red, Im not halucinating after all, it really happened!

This entire thread just makes me wanna start doing the twist! "lets twist again, like we did last summer"!!!

:hot: 040

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Send a message via AIM to LovinItAtTheVillages Send a message via Yahoo to LovinItAtTheVillages

Oh Handieman. I hope you decide to do the 50's party
Im sure it would be lots of fun....
My little friend here is all ready to partyyyy

The Villages Florida
Old 01-20-2008, 03:18 AM

Don't forget about us greasers with the "Elvis" do and black leather jackets. Oh and the comb yeah the comb -- don't leave home without it.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:23 AM
Sage

Gosh Springer, you just reminded me of Kookie on 77 Sunset Strip. I had his picture plastered all over my bedroom walls. "Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb. . ." I would swoon! Handi are you having a 50's party??? Don't forget to invite me! ;D
Old 01-20-2008, 03:55 AM
Sage

Chuck,

dont remember the Sat. afternoon dance party, but hey thats great that you got picked to danceon it. You must have been a heck of a dancer when you were a kid, and pretty darn brave at that age to go on tv and dance. Do ya still dance up a storm?????

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to kregski

Ray Rayner was the the best. If your still in the WGN viewing area ,every so often they run a look back at Ray ,,Bozo,,and Garfield Goose. Do you remember Im hard rock im coco im joe?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
I was thinkin the other day about throwing a 50's party inviting you all to dress for the occasion. I have a collection of 50's,60's music and we could decorate the garage and dance up a storm. I'm visualizing all you girls in rollers ;D
Too Funny
Handie :joke:
Handi..
Please have the party when I am there..The Villages FloridaI don't want to miss this one..The Villages Florida

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Sage

Ray Rayner website:

http://www.tvparty.com/lostrayner.html

Has mention of "Ray Rayner's Rayner Shine (Rain or Shine) Dance Party. It was a Chicago-area "American Bandstand"-style teen dance show on Saturdays."

And I never could dance a lick (they used to have Saturday night sock hops at the local Luthern church, youth fellowship, that we went to a lot so we could sit on the side and check out the girls and I think that was the group that went on the TV dance show)

Didn't watch his show in the 60's as it was aimed at the under 7 set and I was a teen and older by then.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie
Chels, thanks for going down memory lane with me. Its just sooo much fun isnt it?

Im so glad you remembered the babushka's tied up on. our chins, see Red, Im not halucinating after all, it really happened!

:hot: 040
Oh, there were a couple of girls who tied them under their chins but they were the freaks and losers. Just not a California thing. I do remember one girl doing that once -- she was quickly clued in that we didn't THAT here. She'd just moved from either Springfield or Chicago area, can't remember which. So, it may have been a Midwest thang.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-20-2008, 02:05 PM

White flip top shoes, grey flannel pants and a pink shirt...cool man!
Old 01-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
Oh, there were a couple of girls who tied them under their chins but they were the freaks and losers. Just not a California thing. I do remember one girl doing that once -- she was quickly clued in that we didn't THAT here. She'd just moved from either Springfield or Chicago area, can't remember which. So, it may have been a Midwest thang.
RW,

NO-O-O-O-O-O.

I am a Midwest girl, only farther south than Chicago.

I was trying to figure out what the Chicago girls on here were talking about with that tied on the chin thing. Being a Midwesterner, I was too polite to say, "What the :edit:?"

Nobody in my town did that. And we were a lot closer to Chicago than California. I guess we must have wished we all could be California girls.

Of course, we were busy being freaks in our own way. When we were not creating those big messes on those class rings, we were polishing white tennis shoes (Keds I think) with white shoe polish and wearing them with stockings. I think we thought it made our legs look so much better than they did in socks. But why we picked tennis shoes I will never know. Nobody played tennis.

Who would have thought that a discussion of babushkas could be so much fun. I was telling Mr. BB about this and he had no idea what I was talking about so I had to try to demonstrate by using a towel. I still don't think he gets it.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

OMG .. I am literally cracking up. Even scared the cats. A towel as a babushka? tff

We wore the Keds cause they were comfortable, didn't weigh a ton like saddle shoes and made our feet look smaller. Wore them with stockings once. Feet sweat too much and decided I'd just go without socks or stockings, at least until my mom noticed and had a hissy fit to the nth degree.

Okay, ladies, what was your favorite pattern of tights that you wore with your mini-skirts? I loved the horizontal stripes, especially my black and red pair. (Boy, am I glad Jess doesn't read this site. She'd never let me live it down!) I also remember a really cute pair with big lady bugs on them in psychedlic colors. I thought they were so cool!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Regarding those patterned tights with miniskirts: Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.