What Makes Some People So Unreasonable?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 PM
tainsley tainsley is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 1,298
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I pinch myself everyday and am so thankful for my family, friends and just living here in TV. I always look at how wonderful my life is and that outweighs any negativity in my life!
  #17  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Happinow's Avatar
Happinow Happinow is offline
Sage
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Queensbury, NY, The Villages
Posts: 2,625
Thanks: 38
Thanked 271 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Since I love to shop, I sometimes see people in line who are voicing how unhappy they are having to wait in line. Sometimes I say, " please go ahead of me....I'm not in any hurry." They sometimes take me up on my offer and I feel it's a good way to get them checked out faster and it also kinda lets them know how silly they are putting up such a fuss. If you go shopping and don't expect to wait this time of year you are probably going to,have a bad day.
  #18  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Wandatime's Avatar
Wandatime Wandatime is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Village of Collier
Posts: 510
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I have seen some ugliness right here on this forum that defies all logic. It seems as if some people are mean just for the sake of it. I do not like mean people and avoid them. Why in the world would I want to be friends with someone who is hurtful and hateful? I do give people new to my sphere the benefit of the doubt, but once I get a sniff of the mean gene my arms' length gets mighty long.
__________________

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West


  #19  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Wandatime's Avatar
Wandatime Wandatime is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Village of Collier
Posts: 510
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Since I love to shop, I sometimes see people in line who are voicing how unhappy they are having to wait in line. Sometimes I say, " please go ahead of me....I'm not in any hurry." They sometimes take me up on my offer and I feel it's a good way to get them checked out faster and it also kinda lets them know how silly they are putting up such a fuss. If you go shopping and don't expect to wait this time of year you are probably going to,have a bad day.
I do that too! I say, "Go ahead of me, I am in no rush, I have all day. I love being retired." I go on and on and on. I gush. It is ridiculously how much fun I get out of doing it.
__________________

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West


  #20  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:12 PM
ugotme's Avatar
ugotme ugotme is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Village of Charlotte
Posts: 1,186
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Hi Joe - good post!

Personally I believe everyone has their "annoyed" moments.
Mine usually occurs while driving!

Backed out of a spot at Walgreens yesterday and while going forward to leave a guy came basically up to my bumper - I guess he was in a rush! I finally got through and fairly politely (although sarcastic) said "Ya know-it would have been a lot easier if you had just waited a second!

Hate people who tailgate, cut you off, and those who don't pay attention at lights because they only care if they make the light!

DON'T GET ME STARTED! LOL
__________________
Brooklyn, NY; Bethpage, NY; Tamarac, FL and N O W The Village of CHARLOTTE !!!!
  #21  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:30 PM
B767drvr B767drvr is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 599
Thanks: 189
Thanked 241 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I would like to think that as we age, we start to develop a more mellow attitude towards people and life. Whatever happened to compassion and talking to people to learn something about them, and not have an "I" attitude.

Why do some people have a sense of entitlement?

Does everyone rationalize their bad behavior to the point of being boorish?

Al Capone said when he was sent to prison, "I only gave the people what they wanted, "woman and booze"

Does anyone see their real selves, when they look in the mirror?

Jerry Seinfeld just said, "when people reach the age of 65, they think they have earned the right to be a cranky pants".

Curious minds want to know what you think!!!
Here's a 4-minute video that I try to remember when I get annoyed with what I consider to be self-absorbed people.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVdy3mCg2jY
  #22  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:14 PM
njbchbum's Avatar
njbchbum njbchbum is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!
Posts: 5,382
Thanks: 1,359
Thanked 352 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
As Uptown Girl talked about we have choices in life. If someone was wronged or hurt, then we have a choice to heal. Some people choose to stay hurt and angry....and that is so very sad.

I cannot imagine waking up everyday with the glass half full.
And some of those people who do heal never forget the pain they felt because someone did them wrong and/or hurt them. For some - it makes them all the more considerate of others because they remember.
__________________
Not sure if I have free time...or if I just forgot everything I was supposed to do!

  #23  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Loudoll's Avatar
Loudoll Loudoll is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Two more and you will have the top ten!!!
Genetics
Culture
From Gracie's post.
  #24  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Loudoll's Avatar
Loudoll Loudoll is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
The best way to handle unhappy people, that's why I think they may be unreasonable, is to kill them with kindness. If someone is inpatient in a line, I go out of my way to see something that I can compliment them about. It may be a cute hat or well behaved child. The mood switches gears and for that moment, they forget why some small inconvenience annoyed them so much. For the most part, it will divert their attention and I've had some wonderful conversations with total strangers that seemed to be having a bad day.
Until I read the last two words of your first sentence I was in complete agreement with you.
Of course, I make a joke. Yours is a nice way to respond.
  #25  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:46 PM
Happinow's Avatar
Happinow Happinow is offline
Sage
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Queensbury, NY, The Villages
Posts: 2,625
Thanks: 38
Thanked 271 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767drvr View Post
Here's a 4-minute video that I try to remember when I get annoyed with what I consider to be self-absorbed people.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVdy3mCg2jY
Thank you. If we could all only give each other the benefit of a doubt. You never know what one is going through. Everyone should watch this.
  #26  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Loudoll's Avatar
Loudoll Loudoll is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default You're gonna love this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
Hi Joe - good post!

Personally I believe everyone has their "annoyed" moments.
Mine usually occurs while driving!

Backed out of a spot at Walgreens yesterday and while going forward to leave a guy came basically up to my bumper - I guess he was in a rush! I finally got through and fairly politely (although sarcastic) said "Ya know-it would have been a lot easier if you had just waited a second!

Hate people who tailgate, cut you off, and those who don't pay attention at lights because they only care if they make the light!

DON'T GET ME STARTED! LOL
We were waiting for a car to back out of a space at Walmart and my husband courteously did not crowd this driver. Even though it was obvious we were next up for the spot, someone pulled up and veered in, ready to nab it. We were near the end of the row, and just as this happened my husband noticed that the car directly across from this parking spot was also pulling out. He backed up and drove like crazy around, pulled not only into that spot but he drove on through as car number 1 was exiting.....ending up in the parking spot the lady was trying to steal from us. I have enjoyed that one as I revisit it from time to time. It was a great moment that I wish I had on video.
  #27  
Old 02-24-2015, 09:09 PM
DonH57's Avatar
DonH57 DonH57 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Village Santo Domingo.
Posts: 3,365
Thanks: 0
Thanked 224 Times in 105 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Default

Other than the fact some people seem to be unreasonable I sometimes wonder what makes some villagers seem to be so miserable. I just sometimes see many unhappy looks in some faces and a few happy looks.
  #28  
Old 02-24-2015, 09:54 PM
Beechie Beechie is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 140
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudoll View Post
We were waiting for a car to back out of a space at Walmart and my husband courteously did not crowd this driver. Even though it was obvious we were next up for the spot, someone pulled up and veered in, ready to nab it. We were near the end of the row, and just as this happened my husband noticed that the car directly across from this parking spot was also pulling out. He backed up and drove like crazy around, pulled not only into that spot but he drove on through as car number 1 was exiting.....ending up in the parking spot the lady was trying to steal from us. I have enjoyed that one as I revisit it from time to time. It was a great moment that I wish I had on video.
Lends creedence to "I hope Karma slaps him in the face before I do" credo.

Great story and I'm sure it made your day.
  #29  
Old 02-24-2015, 11:43 PM
SALYBOW's Avatar
SALYBOW SALYBOW is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Villages, fl
Posts: 1,522
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default

I kind of disagree with some of what was said. Some of it, not so much. My childhood was far from Idyllic in terms of my father. From that abuse I decided two things. 1. I was not going to allow him to define who I am, and 2. I would try to make sure no one abused my children like I was abused.
I decided I had two options, I could live as a victim or a survivor. I chose to be a survivor. My Aunt who suffered abuse from her Father chose to be a victim. She had a miserable life.
Whatever happens to you in life your attitude toward it is "chosen" by you, not "foisted "on you.
My daughter has signs on her children's bedroom walls that say "Choose Happy." Even her thirteen year old does most of the time. Well, some of the time.
When you allow someone to upset you or make you miserable, you are giving up your power over your emotions to them.
In answer to Joe's question I have experienced some Villagers to feel entitled. They worked hard all their lives...Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. To them I say, "so did I. We all did or we would probably not be here"
If things don't always go as you would like them too, put on your Big Boy/Girl panties... stay calm and carry on.
__________________
Sally Bowron
Cincinnati, Ohio; Osceola Hills at Soaring Eagle, TV

When God made me he said Ta Da!
  #30  
Old 02-24-2015, 11:48 PM
Wandatime's Avatar
Wandatime Wandatime is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Village of Collier
Posts: 510
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I kind of disagree with some of what was said. Some of it, not so much. My childhood was far from Idyllic in terms of my father. From that abuse I decided two things. 1. I was not going to allow him to define who I am, and 2. I would try to make sure no one abused my children like I was abused.
I decided I had two options, I could live as a victim or a survivor. I chose to be a survivor. My Aunt who suffered abuse from her Father chose to be a victim. She had a miserable life.
Whatever happens to you in life your attitude toward it is "chosen" by you, not "foisted "on you.
My daughter has signs on her children's bedroom walls that say "Choose Happy." Even her thirteen year old does most of the time. Well, some of the time.
When you allow someone to upset you or make you miserable, you are giving up your power over your emotions to them.
In answer to Joe's question I have experienced some Villagers to feel entitled. They worked hard all their lives...Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. To them I say, "so did I. We all did or we would probably not be here"
If things don't always go as you would like them too, put on your Big Boy/Girl panties... stay calm and carry on.
Hmm. You sound like someone I would like to get to know. Smart, introspective, a deep thinker. I like this.
__________________

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.