Rant, Rant Rant, Rant. There I feel better

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Founder
Default Rant, Rant Rant, Rant. There I feel better

I purchased an HP computer in April. Among other things, it included memory card slots/readers. Yesterday, those card readers stopped working. The computer would not recognize them.

I called HP support and got through surprisingly fast. I was patient while the guy took control of my computer and checked drivers, then uninstalled and reinstalled the hardware. None of this corrected the problem. He monkeyed around for over an hour. I said, "the reader is bad, please send a new one."

"We have one more thing to do, unplug everything from the back of your computer and take off the case." "I want you to check all of the cables running from the card reader to the mother board." "Then I want you to check the mother board to see if there are any burn marks or broken pins."

I said, "I can't believe that you are asking the consumer to remove the case and stick his hands inside the computer."

He replied, "yes, before we make any warranty repairs, we need to check everything."

Now, let me say this, I know how to do all of this stuff. I install my own hard drives and replace my own power supplies. That's not the point.

What about the 80 million other people who can't do that stuff? What if I stick my hands in there and break something else. Is my warranty voided?

We all know that warranties are voided when consumers attempt to repair something themselves, then afterward call customer support.

So, here I was, on the floor, under my desk, with a flashlight, unplugging all the USB cables, internet, monitor, speakers, printer, keyboard, mouse.....everything. I had to drag the computer to the top of my desk and pull off the case. Of course, everything inside was fine.

Then I had to get back on the floor and redo everything.....while the guy waited on the phone.

Total time 2 hours 15 minutes. They're sending me a new card reader.

Rant......Rant......Rant.......

There, now I really feel better.

The worst part was that my wife was standing in the kitchen laughing at me.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Veteran member
Default I did tech support for an IP provider..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I purchased an HP computer in April. Among other things, it included memory card slots/readers. Yesterday, those card readers stopped working. The computer would not recognize them.

I called HP support and got through surprisingly fast. I was patient while the guy took control of my computer and checked drivers, then uninstalled and reinstalled the hardware. None of this corrected the problem. He monkeyed around for over an hour. I said, "the reader is bad, please send a new one."

"We have one more thing to do, unplug everything from the back of your computer and take off the case." "I want you to check all of the cables running from the card reader to the mother board." "Then I want you to check the mother board to see if there are any burn marks or broken pins."

I said, "I can't believe that you are asking the consumer to remove the case and stick his hands inside the computer."

He replied, "yes, before we make any warranty repairs, we need to check everything."

Now, let me say this, I know how to do all of this stuff. I install my own hard drives and replace my own power supplies. That's not the point.

What about the 80 million other people who can't do that stuff? What if I stick my hands in there and break something else. Is my warranty voided?

We all know that warranties are voided when consumers attempt to repair something themselves, then afterward call customer support.

So, here I was, on the floor, under my desk, with a flashlight, unplugging all the USB cables, internet, monitor, speakers, printer, keyboard, mouse.....everything. I had to drag the computer to the top of my desk and pull off the case. Of course, everything inside was fine.

Then I had to get back on the floor and redo everything.....while the guy waited on the phone.

Total time 2 hours 15 minutes. They're sending me a new card reader.

Rant......Rant......Rant.......

There, now I really feel better.

The worst part was that my wife was standing in the kitchen laughing at me.
I did tech support for an IP provider..
I usually agree with you on most things but on this I do not. If he had not had you do those things, and just sent you a card reader, IF there were other problems inside the case such as a burnt motherboard or broken pins on the connection, you would rightfully have been upset about waiting for the part and the part not fixing the problem. Best to check everything right now, and get it fixed right.
Not only that but now installing the new part will be a snap.
Computers are complicated mixture of parts and software. I know what it is like to repair them. They are much better now a days, with no IRQs etc, but still it takes some willingness to get your hands under the hood unless you are willing to pay more and buy from a local shop that will do all the checking for you.
I would be glad to try to answer questions for anyone. Broad questions such as my computer won't work cannot be answered here... be specific and I will give it a shot for FREE..
JJ

Last edited by JimJoe; 10-09-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default One Word.....

Mac
Old 10-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts
Default Thanks JimJo

If a problem should occur, glad to know that "Jimjo" is THERE!....

Memason: Would have gone Mac but too old to teach this dog new tricks!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
I usually agree with you on most things....
JJ
That demonstrates you are of superior integrity.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Founder

"Hello, Service Department, can I help you?" "Yes, my brand new car broke down and won't start. it's sitting on the side of I-75"

"Okay, before we do anything, I want you to open the hood and check the fuel pump to see if it's working. If that's okay, please pull out the computer control and see if it's okay." "Then get under the car and see if there are any reptiles wrapped around the wiring harness." "If there are, please remove them." "If none of that solves the problem, we'll send out a tow truck to get you."
Old 10-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Mac
Old 10-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
"Hello, Service Department, can I help you?" "Yes, my brand new car broke down and won't start. it's sitting on the side of I-75"

"Okay, before we do anything, I want you to open the hood and check the fuel pump to see if it's working. If that's okay, please pull out the computer control and see if it's okay." "Then get under the car and see if there are any reptiles wrapped around the wiring harness." "If there are, please remove them." "If none of that solves the problem, we'll send out a tow truck to get you."
When this happens you could plug it into your computer to get some diagnostic readings. Oh wait, that's the slot that doesn't work on the computer.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Platinum member

I would have just told the tech that I already checked all the things he was asking and let him send the part!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Gold member
Default Another HP tech support story

One of our HP printers has an additional high capacity paper tray and a print on both sides option. Often when we would print on both sides the paper would jam. Called tech support. Told them I thought the paper was not feeding from the aux tray properly and getting stuck. (Actually ripped to pieces.) They took me through the usual routine, is it plugged in? Unplug it, let it sit for 30 seconds, plug it in. Does it power up? Does the display come on? Is there paper? Is there ink? And on and on for about one hour. Finally they said they were sending a new printer. (They actually sent a refurbished printer.) It was stripped down and I had to take apart the old printer and rebuilt the new one. One of the things they did not send was the extra paper tray. (It's a little more involved than just an extra tray, it creates a whole new footprint for the machine.) Of course the problem was not fixed and they had to do what I originally requested, sent me a new extra tray.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that they assume you can do the various tests but don't trust your judgement on what is needed to fix the problem. I told the tech I was confident that the tray unit would fix the problem but he insisted on sending the new unit. Of course when he said that I thought I was getting a complete (with aux tray) unit so I agreed.

At least I'm diversified, I have 3 HP printers and 2 Epsons. (And one Primera Bravo but that's a specialized unit.)

Last edited by BogeyBoy; 10-09-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Gold member

I have never heard of a major computer company support person asking a customer to perform debug to the level described on a computer that is still under warranty. Normally, if they can't fix it pretty easily, they just ask you to send the system back to them or take it to one of their repair centers. Must be another way they are cutting costs. I just can't imagine what the conversation would be like if they were talking to somebody that only knows how to turn the system on and access Internet Explorer.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I have never heard of a major computer company support person asking a customer to perform debug to the level described on a computer that is still under warranty. Normally, if they can't fix it pretty easily, they just ask you to send the system back to them or take it to one of their repair centers. Must be another way they are cutting costs. I just can't imagine what the conversation would be like if they were talking to somebody that only knows how to turn the system on and access Internet Explorer.
Good point, from now on if I have to call tech support I'll try the "I know nothing" routine and see how they respond.

BTW - did you hear Jay Leno talking about the new language discovered in India? He says it is only used by about 1000 people - Tech Support.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Veteran member
Default When you send your computer back.. you go with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
When you send your computer back.. you go with it...
Remember your data is on your harddrive... even if you back it up on your external drive or on the internet.... so get those passwords off and your songs and pics and movies backed up.. and by the way.. there are probably copies in temp files all over the hard drive.. temp internet files. etc...
If you can do it at your house over the phone.. my advice is DO IT..
you will learn something in the process also.. and that can be fun and empowering..l.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Veteran member
Default I think your example is mistaken...

Quote:

I think your example is mistaken... I think it would be more like this..
We can send you a tow truck.. and you can be without your car for a month or so while we send in your car to the manufacturer for warranty work.. or you can check the battery cables and if the battery is low, jump it and go on your way..
Your choice..
JJ
Old 10-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Veteran member
Default I owned two powermacs... and

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Mac
I owned two powermacs... and macs break down too.. trust me..
Macs are over priced and expensive to upgrade...

If you want something other than windows.. I have a couple of dozen live cds that you can put in your dvd drive, boot from the cd drive, and risk nothing..
Of course, it will not be the Windows 7 or xp experience ( I WOULD own a mac if I had to own vista instead.).

but my final answer is.. as my momma always told me..
to each his own..
JJ
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.