DELL computer users in TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Veteran member
Default DELL computer users in TV

I want to upgrade my notebook computer. Have considered Dell, HP, Sony, etc. Am concerned about what happens if/when my new computer will break? Who can service it at TV?

I spoke with a DELL rep. He said if I bought a DELL notebook, along with an extended warranty, that DELL would come to my house to fix it. Has that been the case with DELL owners in TV? Do they come to your house to fix your DELL notebook/desktop computer? That is important to me. Don't want to box up my broken computer and send it to DELL-land (or any place else). Can't live without my computer for 1-2 weeks.

Paying for an extended warranty, and having at-home service, would be worth it to me. My computer is my "daily fix." Need it every day for a variety of reasons.

Comments, anyone? Does DELL service equipment at TV?

Gene
Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I've had Dell computers for a long time now. Before moving to TV, we lived way out in the middle of nowhere in the country. Because I had the extended warranty that offers in-home service, Dell sent a qualified repairman to my house to take care of my computer when it crashed. The experience and service was excellent.

Dell uses local computer repair folks who have been trained and qualified. So I'm sure if they could service me in the hills of Alabama in a town with one stop light, then they can take care of you here in TV.

In my opinion, the warranty with the in-home service is well worth the few extra bucks for the convenience factor alone.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Even though one has purchased at home service, there are some problems where computer companies cannot or won't provide at home service. That would be a last resort service for them to provide it.

I had a problem about 3 or 4 months with my HP laptop and after speaking for much too long to outsourced technical help, I then insisted on it being elevated to advanced support which happend to be in Canada. After explaining everything yet again, I was told that I would have to send my computer in to them. When I complained that I had at home service I was told based on my description of the problem that at home techs did not have the hardware diagostics capabilities required. I was also told that I would have to wait for a package to pack my computer in, which was shipped to me by overnight express. The next, day shortly before the package arrived... my computer miraculously stopped the irradic behavior that I called about (???) and it has only happened again a few times.

To make a long story short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you purchase an at home service agreement, you won't always get home service like I didn't. The explaination given me made reasonable sense, but it is disappointing when this does happen. I would also bet that it's not just HP where this happens, but it probably can happen with any computer you purchase. Thanks goodness they don't use the same computers to get the space shuttles up and back that they sell to us!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 AM
Platinum member

I was never a fan of sending my computer somewhere to get fixed. Time factor is one issue, the other worry is whoever is doing the repair can snoop. This person can get vital infomation about you. I have been fortunate that I have friends and business associates who always bailed me out whith any problem I came across. I'm sure there are computer geeks in TV who will gladly fix your computer for a fraction of what it would cost sendign it elsewhere. And he can do it in your home as you watch.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

I've had Dells for a long time too. On the first one I had at-home service and they did come and fix it. But it was a hardware problem. I don't think they'd come to your house for a software problem.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

OK. Thanks, so much, for your info so far. Your words are encouraging.

But I would still like to hear from someone, living at TV, who has had a DELL computer repair person come to their house at TV to fix their computer. Hopefully, more than one will respond with a DELL success story...in TV.

Again...thanks for your help. I want to buy a new notebook next week, and I need to put my (future) mind at ease, knowing that if/when my computer breaks, I won't have to box it up and send it away for repair.

Gene
Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Just bought a new Dell XPS 8100 i7 desktop..I got the extended warranty. (Have not used it yet) To be honest with you I am sort of glad you are not getting an overwhelming response to your question. I know there are alot of people using Dells out there and If you are a person with deductive reasoning, no problems are good...at least you can hope for that!

Dell offers a variety of warranty options...pick the best one that fits your particualr needs and hope you never need to use it.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Hope for the best, but plan for the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Just bought a new Dell XPS 8100 i7 desktop..I got the extended warranty. (Have not used it yet) To be honest with you I am sort of glad you are not getting an overwhelming response to your question. I know there are alot of people using Dells out there and If you are a person with deductive reasoning, no problems are good...at least you can hope for that!

Dell offers a variety of warranty options...pick the best one that fits your particualr needs and hope you never need to use it.
Caroline, You use the word 'hope.' I'm an optimist, but in planning for my next computer, I want to 'hope' for the best, but 'plan' for the worst (just in case the sun isn't always shining). In other words, if/when my computer breaks, will DELL service it at a home in TV? That' the $64k question. Looking for replies from TVers here who have experienced DELL-type repair at TV.

Gene
Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Dell computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
OK. Thanks, so much, for your info so far. Your words are encouraging.

But I would still like to hear from someone, living at TV, who has had a DELL computer repair person come to their house at TV to fix their computer. Hopefully, more than one will respond with a DELL success story...in TV.

Again...thanks for your help. I want to buy a new notebook next week, and I need to put my (future) mind at ease, knowing that if/when my computer breaks, I won't have to box it up and send it away for repair.

Gene
I have 4 Dell computers, 3 desktop and laptop. Have only had problems with one desk top. I called Dell at approximately 2 pm and they ran their online access and diagonistics, after describing the problem. No problem, the mother board was failing. They said they would send someone to fix it. The next morning, I received a call from Dell, the new mother board was shipped express overnight. About 11 am I received another call wanting to come and install the new board. Came within an hour and was up and running in an hour after they got here.
Was great service, and response time.

1 computer is 6 years old now, runs Windows XP with service pac 3. The laptop runs XP and about 3 years old. The other 2 are Vista and 2 years old.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS G View Post
I have 4 Dell computers, 3 desktop and laptop. Have only had problems with one desk top. I called Dell at approximately 2 pm and they ran their online access and diagonistics, after describing the problem. No problem, the mother board was failing. They said they would send someone to fix it. The next morning, I received a call from Dell, the new mother board was shipped express overnight. About 11 am I received another call wanting to come and install the new board. Came within an hour and was up and running in an hour after they got here.
Was great service, and response time.

1 computer is 6 years old now, runs Windows XP with service pac 3. The laptop runs XP and about 3 years old. The other 2 are Vista and 2 years old.
Dennis, The $64k question --- Did you get this DELL service-at-your-home in TV, or elsewhere? I'm looking for TV-specific onsite help. Thanks.

Gene
Old 02-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Actually, I think the best answer you're going to get is by calling Dell and asking them specifically if your on-site warranty will be honored in TV. I've had that service in other parts of the US and they have never failed to send someone to fix my computer, which was rare.

Good luck......
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Gold member

I have a dell desktop and got the extended warranty. A couple of months later, I had a power surge or something. Computer wouldn't even power up for me. I called Dell 9-21-07 and we went through a diagnosis over the phone with them. Had to take the tower apart and check this, that and the other thing. They came to the conclusion that I needed a new mortherboard and shipped it out next day. They got in touch with "Banctec On Site Service Provider" and had a representative call and set up a date to come out and put in the motherboard for me 9-24-07. Then he sent them back the old motherboard. (This was here in the Villages)

When I lived in NC I had my harddrive go one me. Where I lived they didn't have service company to send. So they sent me a new hard drive and I called them when it came in and they talked me through the process of installing the new one. Then I had to send my old harddrive back in a prepaid package so as not to be billed for a harddrive.

Last edited by obxgal; 02-04-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: additiona information
Old 02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Dell computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
Dennis, The $64k question --- Did you get this DELL service-at-your-home in TV, or elsewhere? I'm looking for TV-specific onsite help. Thanks.

Gene
Yes, it was here in Mallory, short distance from Lake Sumer Landing and Colony Plaza.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Veteran member

Thanks obxgal and Dennis,

Just what I wanted -- "TV-specific" DELL service provided. Makes me feel better. I called DELL, and they said TV service "shouldn't be a problem."

I like your answers better -- confirmation that DELL does render hands-on "warranty assistance" to TVers. Do you know if DELL also provides out-of-warranty service for an add'tl fee...just curious. For me, a warranty provides peace of mind.

Your answers will be appreciated by others, too. This TOTV msg. system is wonderful!

Gene
Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Smile

I have had many wonderful experiences with "Village Computer Center". This office is located in the Villages in The State Farm Building on 466. The computer tech came to my home to help figure out what all needed done and was very reasonable. They are also an authorized Dell repr. so had access to all the warranties and such. The number is 352.753.0545 and I spoke with Mark. I highly recommend Village Computer Center.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.