allergy/sinus problems

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Rough October for my allergies. Recently discovered Dr. Neuzil's Irrigator. It's a saline and natural oil pump spray. I got mine at Walgreens on Rolling Acres. Amazing stuff!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,913 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoochie View Post
Rough October for my allergies. Recently discovered Dr. Neuzil's Irrigator. It's a saline and natural oil pump spray. I got mine at Walgreens on Rolling Acres. Amazing stuff!
This thread hasn't been posted on since January.

Since we use the air purifier in Helene's room running all of the time with the door closed she is doing much better than last year.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoochie View Post
Recently seen this product advertised in the Walgreens ad. Thanks for posting your positive comment. I am bothered most of the time with sinus issues so I will plan on trying it.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:28 AM
Location: Hong Kong; California; New York; Alabama; Texas; Kansas; Washington, DC; Maryland & TV at St James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
You might want to check the thread about Honey from Hives that are close to The Villages. See folks at the local farmer's markets about where the honey they sell comes from. Some folks claim that local honey helps for allergies to pollen from our area.
I used to have very bad allergy in the spring and fall. A good friend recommended that I take "local" honey to rid of the allergy. I take honey twice daily made from Maryland when I am up north; and I take honey made in Florida (bought it at the farmer's market) when I am at our TV house.

I have been allergy free for over a year.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

Try oregano oil
Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Homeopathic remedy Allium Cepa, which you can get at The Vitamin Shoppe or Lake Nutrition, works really well with runny nose and itchy eye symptoms. Sinus problems can clear up if the nose issue is addressed and using a netti pot will keep the nose pollen and virus/bacteria free. This may sound "weird" but DH and I use paper tape over the mouth at night, and it reduces phlegm from mouth breathing and reduces snoring too. DH used nasal sprays for years that eventually dried the nose lining too much and created more challenge until he stopped using and went to the neti potting. Rebounding on the mini trampoline also helps clear allergies as it helps the lymph system work better and gets the circulation paths clear so the immune system can work properly and handle the allergens. All kinds of "different" ways to eliminate allergy symptoms without resorting to drugs. Just have to try things out to see how your body will react.

LW888
Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

You tape your mouth closed
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Yes. It is a protocol from a Russian doctor who worked with asthmatics. As a singer, it helped me to expand my air capacity and breath control. As a sided benefit it eliminated snoring for both of us as we were mouth breathers. Also helped to keep the mouth and gums more moist. The doctor is Dr. Buteyko and you can google his name and get lots of good info. His book is on Amazon I think. I got it a number of years ago but I am sure it is still available as there are practitioners around the world using and teaching his techniques.

LW888
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,650 Times in 1,774 Posts

I have suffered from rhinitis due to allergies most of my life. About 20 years ago I started flying commercially frequently and began to develop 5 or 6 sinus infections per year which required antibiotics to cure. A friend recommended I see her homeopathic healer who gave me a remedy which caused my nose to run. She also advised me to obtain a Neti pot and instructed me on how use it. After awhile I stopped the remedy with her permission. I recall needing to use antibiotics to clear up a sinus infection only twice since I started using the Neti pot. It has served me well almost 20 years!

A few years into this I was visiting my physician for a yearly check up and commented to him how I had been using the Neti pot and had stopped suffering sinus infections. He told me to go ahead and use it if I felt better but not to use it if I had an active nasal or sinus infection. Since he seemed to dismiss the Neti pot having anything to do with my lack of sinus infections I suggested he check my records, the before and after. On my last visit to him about a year ago he sneezed a few times, apologized, and commented that he had run out of salt packets for his Neti pot so had not been able to use it that day!

BTW, my daughter admonished me to first boil the water I use for at least one minute to avoid the possibility of infection from the brain eating amoeba Naegleria Fowleri now in some of our water systems.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 11-04-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Sage

doing a saline "wash" is good for your nasal passages. You can get the packets along with a neti-pot or squeeze bottle (I prefer the latter) at any drugstore.

When we 1st moved here my provider told me this is known as "allergy alley"...makes sense as it never gets a hard freeze AND the plethora of molds etc. that are here. Always windy/breezy too...so pollen is a factor.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran member

Forgot to mention that you can make your own solution using 1/8 tsp of nk or gray sea salt (Himalayan) and equal part of baking soda which will balance out the PH. I also make sure that the water is very warm so that you cannot feel it as it goes through because it is close to body temp. I have found that as long as the salt and BS are in equal portion you do not feel the water,but occasionally if I use too little bs you can feel the acidity and then I just add a bit more baking soda. Also keep your mouth open so the water can come out if iit gets into the mouth. It seems to make the journey through the sinuses easier.

LW888
Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default It is Misery This Time of Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
Anyone out there currently suffering from abnormally high allergy/sinus problems?
Thanks to the enormous amount of decorative grasses used throughout The Villages (Muhly, Pampas, Red Fountain, etc) combined with the wind makes for an allergy nightmare. Already been to the doctor with sinus/respiratory infection and I try to avoid being around it as much as possible...although my neighbors have a bumper crop growing . Best of luck...
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Wonder

I have heard of a lot of "Allergies" in this part of Florida. What are the various symptons of your allergy,
Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,353 Posts

Try local honey.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.