65 years old. Aches and Pains- Everything hurts after exersion

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2023, 05:57 PM
Default 65 years old. Aches and Pains- Everything hurts after exersion

My wife and I are both 64. We have never done much exercise- but we do go out dancing on weekends. The day after dancing Everything Hurts. We are doing a lot of work to prepare our Mass. home for sale- digging holes, repairing the deck, moving heavy objects, etc. We've been doing these things nearly ever day for 1-6 hours per day for the past year. Every night we are really stiff and sore- and the next morning we are really still stiff and sore. I figured because we do hard word nearly every day, all this post work soreness would eventually go away as our muscles got used to the work- nope... still full of aches and pains.

I said all that to ask this. Are there a lot of people here who can relate to all of these aches and pains? Does Everything Hurt after you exert yourself?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2023, 06:18 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

At 81 it hurts with or without exertion. From the age of 15 on I have enjoyed what we used to call lifting weights. In my case bodybuilding with a little power lifting thrown in so I am accustomed to being sore but now I get sore from too much couch surfing as well.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-28-2023, 06:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Are there a lot of people here who can relate to all of these aches and pains?
Not my wife (73) and me (77).

Quote:
Does Everything Hurt after you exert yourself?
No, because we are too smart to exert ourselves that much.

We went for a nice 2-mile walk at Hogeye this afternoon and a couple days ago we went for a long (for us) bike ride through Newell and Lake Denham. Occasionally, we play golf at an Executive golf course and we always walk.

We cut our cloak to suit our cloth and we are enjoying life more than ever.
Old 04-28-2023, 07:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

One of the reasons the massage places are so busy. A cost of getting old
Old 04-28-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
My wife and I are both 64. We have never done much exercise- but we do go out dancing on weekends. The day after dancing Everything Hurts. We are doing a lot of work to prepare our Mass. home for sale- digging holes, repairing the deck, moving heavy objects, etc. We've been doing these things nearly ever day for 1-6 hours per day for the past year. Every night we are really stiff and sore- and the next morning we are really still stiff and sore. I figured because we do hard word nearly every day, all this post work soreness would eventually go away as our muscles got used to the work- nope... still full of aches and pains.

I said all that to ask this. Are there a lot of people here who can relate to all of these aches and pains? Does Everything Hurt after you exert yourself?

Thanks!
Many unknown variables, but based on the info provided, you may not be allowing enough time for rest between "home prep" sessions. If you lack the flexibility, core strength, "general" muscle strength, transverse plane work, endurance, etc. that come from regular exercise, it makes things more difficult. Nutrition, vitamins/supplements, and sleep each play a big role as well.

Try resting your muscles at least 1-2 days between physical labor sessions, and see if there is any reduction in soreness. Obviously this will extend your timeline, but your physical well-being should be the top priority.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:23 PM
Platinum member

Considering how hard you’re working your aches and pains seem normal to me.

Your being very physical and for many hours.
I’m sure this has not been your norm before.

Makes sense your bodies are feeling exhausted.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

Since we have moved I truly can say I've never been more active in my entire stinkin' life.

I have an entirely new respect for people who wait until their late 60s to bust a move and move down south or anywhere. The packing, the donating, the negotiating, the this the that. We were moving professionals our entire married life. We made a fortune flipping house up north and it was a walk in the park. One little move down here at the advanced age of 64 and it almost did me in for real. I'm grateful to the Santa Barbara healthcare team that I have and the people at Leesburg Hospital who literally saved my life. I'm knocking it back a notch. I had retirement down to a science. I was built for a slower life. After getting up at 3 AM for the better part of 40 years I think I like sleeping in a bit instead of having a full plate around the clock. The aches and pains we have both had lately are just out of hand. I'm back to chilling. I wish I could just moderate my activity but it's either full steam ahead or full retirement mode. I'm not ready to take a dirt nap quite yet.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,533 Times in 2,583 Posts

Wife and I are 86 and 83.
We work hard in garden, walk daily, travel a lot, and ache like heck.
When you stop you seize up, so keep going.
The aches and pains seem the norm as you age, it's just a case of mind over matter.

PS. Keep away from doctors, and funeral salesmen!
Old 04-29-2023, 05:12 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,717 Posts

Stretching is great.

Get some resistance bands (very cheap).

Start easy and start infrequent doing both.

Graduate thru bands and pick up frequency.

You will be surprised.
Old 04-29-2023, 05:12 AM

I find taking one scoop of Orgain brand collagen peptides daily solves my feeling of stiffness. It works better than pills for me. Everyone is different so find what works for you. I also try to get in at least 7K steps a day - gotta keep moving.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:39 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 568 Posts

Doing all those Repairs on your house for up to 6 hours a day must be grueling….sounds like you guys really need a Massachusetts Contractor, Home Inspection and a good Massage Therapist! You will need to toughen up if you plan on making 80… Way too young to be hurting like that
Old 04-29-2023, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,866 Times in 1,304 Posts

A SPA/Hot Tub helps recovery.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,762 Times in 1,562 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!
"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger". (Friedrich Nietzsche)
Old 04-29-2023, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,300 Times in 2,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Stretching is great.

Get some resistance bands (very cheap).

Start easy and start infrequent doing both.

Graduate thru bands and pick up frequency.

You will be surprised.
That’s the ticket. I mix in some TRX training with the resistance bands, swim some laps (absolutely weightless on the joints), and take a couple 10mg CBD gummies as well.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!
I think you have learned a valuable lesson at 64 that you need to start exercising regular. You are using muscles that haven’t been used in quite sometime and people are correct that a little rest can help . At 64 there’s plenty of time to get yourself into fit condition .I’m 84 still go to the gym 5 or 6 days a week , I do something different each day so I don’t overwork my body , I have broken a lot of bones over the course of a long career and picked up 3 separate gun shots , one still in me. , if I stopped exercising I would be a bent over arthritic old man ,whether it’s weights or some other resistance program just do it ,it works at any age , and a thing I can’t emphasize more is aerobic activity , nothing even the weight training is more important I rarely miss a day of at least an hour walk , biking or some running or treadmill , aerobic activity is the fountain of youth , as much as I like the gym if for some reason I had to give up weights or aerobic activity it’s would be an easy choice , I would keep the aerobic activity ,. FYI you don’t have to do as much walking as I do but
whatever you do make sure it’s brisk and no stopping to chat at least 5 days a week
Closed Thread

Tags
day, aches, pains, work, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.